Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2021, 08:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Flying Cloud
Central , New Jersey
Newbie Asks For Thoughts and Comments

Hi All,

We still consider ourselves "newbies' since we only posted a few times a couple of years ago when asking about the Classic. We have finally reached the coveted retirement age and are about to place an order for "our" Airstream since we no longer need the bunk house.

We are down to two, a 27 or 28 Flying Cloud or a 27 Globetrotter. The difference between the two Flying Cloud models is just table placement and the extra foot of space. After spending hours looking at the few in stock at our local dealer, and reading the spec sheets and options available, it seems that both coaches are almost identical structure wise with the differences being esthetic in nature. The GT has a larger fridge with compressor as opposed to the LP and electric in the FC. We are familiar with the laminate tops vs hard surface, but beyond that what is it about the GT that makes it more expensive than the FC? The options are also the same except for the awning package being standard on the GT.

We understand, in the end, it is personal preference. We are just trying to see if we're missing something in the differences between the two coaches someone may be aware of, and we didn't know to ask at the dealer, who was very open and answered any questions we had, but like anything else we don't know what we don't know.

Oh, any thoughts on what "discounts" can be anticipated in this higher demand time on orders. When we looked at the Classic in 2019 it was about 20% offered off the MSRP. Just wondering if folks have experience with new orders recently. FYI we're told any orders for new campers are anticipating delivery in October, longer due to supplier issues for Airstream and problems associated with Covid.

Thanks for sharing.
2011 Jayco 304BHK
GBandBONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:40 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We have always had 25FB's, but have long considered going to a 27 or 28. Size is not a real issue as the 27 is a mere 1" longer that the 28. I know that doesn't sound right, but that is the case.

Here is our assessment of these units. The 28 has the couch seating which is very nice. The 28 also has a better situation for guest sleeping. We like the 27 for its rear view dinette seating. out the rear window is most often the best view. The 27 also has better tank capacities.

If we were choosing ine of these today, it would be a tough choice.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 02:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
FC vs GT

The GT has a Power Awning. That right there is enough for me to say get the FC. You do want the full awning package on the FC.

We started with a 2017 International Serenity 23D. Standard awning was the non power awning. When we went to upgrade to a 25' in 2019 the International came ONLY with the power awning. Hence we now have a 2019 FC 25 RBT. we love the simplicity of the awning. It goes out and comes in everytime. Takes less than 1 minute to deploy or retract. No flipping the switch and nothing happens. Uhhohh.

Good luck with your decision and hope you enjoy the model you choose.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 02:47 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Globetrotters also have electric stabilizers, standard. The overhead storage cabinets have little “mirrors” in them and lights that come on when you open the cabinet.

Colonial salespeople are very accommodating/patient in answering all your questions.

2021 Ram 1500 Laramie - 5.7L Hemi eTORQUE

Airstream Club International #2600

I’d rather be camping is an understatement!
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 04:14 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Flying Cloud
Central , New Jersey
Well today we chose. After careful consideration, and significant time walking between two trailers, we went with the Flying Cloud 27FBQ. We had to order it and were told it would be put into production in September with delivery sometime in October. In the end DW preferred the trim level on the FC and I can deal with the manual awning. It doesn't seem like a big deal and one less thing to worry about breaking.

We went with all the options, not that there are many. One of the only things I wanted was the compressor refrigerator in the Globetrotter so that was a compromise as currently the Flying Cloud has the gas/electric. We were told that when the new models start production Airstream might, no guarantees, be putting compressor refrigerators in the FC. It seems that is the way the industry is moving, or so we are told. That is what they did with the Globe Trotter for this year. It was shared that sometimes Airstream just upgrades models and doesn't always tell the dealers ahead of time so we are kind of crossing our fingers but if not we have been using the LP/Electric for years so not too big a deal.

Were told by the folks at Colonial that the awning is only for sun and should be put away when it rains. Do most people put awnings away when it rains?

In the end we felt the sleeping for us is what we wanted and the couch/table arrangements would be just fine. Any grown children that come visit us will just have to figure it out.

Thanks for the comments. We look forward to being part of the community and can't wait to start using our new Airstream.
2011 Jayco 304BHK
Old 03-05-2021, 05:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Congratulations!

I think you made the right move. We love our 2019 27’ Globetrotter twin but the Flying Cloud in ‘19 still had the old interior. The new colors and rectangular sink make it much closer to the GT.

Regarding the awning, you close it in the rain because you never know when a wind gust will try and separate it from your shiny new AS. There are some horror stories on the forum about expensive repairs.

Good luck and congratulations on both your retirement and new AS!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:17 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
GB & Bones,
Congrats on signing on the “x”s. We sat with Patrick also and ordered our 2022 Globetrotter FBT on 22 February. We were told almost the exact same story as you as far as production materials and build times.
Now we patiently wait for delivery.

2021 Ram 1500 Laramie - 5.7L Hemi eTORQUE

Airstream Club International #2600

I’d rather be camping is an understatement!
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:49 AM   #8
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
You are fortunate being so close to Colonial - you could not ask for a better Airstream dealership. Be sure to stay at least one night on the lot to test everything.
In the last 3 years I have left my awning up in gentle and hard rains with no issues. It is the wind you really have to watch. My iPhone and iWatch have a very reliable wind speed predictor, and I monitor it like a hawk. As well I have a small decorative yard ornament with a prop on it - it's behavior tells me when to bring the awning in. And of course, you bring it in at night and whenever you leave camp.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:24 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard👍

NICE choice...Great Dealership.

I don't understand the comment about the awning.
(me dumb🥴, I just realized why, you can't dip it with 'lectricity).
Makes little sense to have a highly water resistant awning that can't be deployed when it rains. We just dip an end and leave it up, if the wind gets above 15mph roll it up. Never deployed when we are away from the site. As far as the power awning, just as well without it IMHO.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1E33E666-6704-4569-9A9A-B9E6A4EAC06E_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	320.4 KB
ID:	390018  
Old 03-06-2021, 09:36 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Flying Cloud
Central , New Jersey
Hi All,

Thanks for the good wished and congrats. It is good to hear so many positive reviews of Colonial Airstream and I suppose we are fortunate to be close to them. This will be the first time we didn't have to drive 1.5 hours to either purchase or service one of our trailers. I asked about staying on site when we pick it up and he, Patrick, said they encourage everyone to do just that when getting their new trailer.

We have awning experience with our previous units and honestly if it was just a reasonable rain then we used to leave it out and just monitor the wind. Patrick shared that the material is not meant for holding water and the awning will "pool" or "puddle" the water in spots suggesting we would have to go and push it up to get the water to run off. I didn't understand how if the awning is pitched to allow for runoff. We always take our awning in when not at the trailer and even at night. We learned that lesson the hard way many years ago.

We didn't get a change to actually roll out an awning from one of the FCs on their lot as they were parked too close together. Based on what we saw on the videos it seems to be easy to deploy and can be tilted but I suppose that will have to wait until later this year when I can find out for myself.

So not to sound too ignorant is there a specific app for the wind speed indication on your iPhone? I was even wondering if it would make sense to get one of those wireless anemometer instruments but think that may be overkill. I never worried about it on our other trailers. We usually took it in when away and at night. Beyond that we would just watch the weather and if the wind picked up or a storm seemed to be approaching we would roll it in.
2011 Jayco 304BHK
Old 03-06-2021, 09:53 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBandBONES View Post
Hi All,

Thanks for the good wished and congrats. It is good to hear so many positive reviews of Colonial Airstream and I suppose we are fortunate to be close to them. This will be the first time we didn't have to drive 1.5 hours to either purchase or service one of our trailers. I asked about staying on site when we pick it up and he, Patrick, said they encourage everyone to do just that when getting their new trailer.

We have awning experience with our previous units and honestly if it was just a reasonable rain then we used to leave it out and just monitor the wind. Patrick shared that the material is not meant for holding water and the awning will "pool" or "puddle" the water in spots suggesting we would have to go and push it up to get the water to run off. I didn't understand how if the awning is pitched to allow for runoff. We always take our awning in when not at the trailer and even at night. We learned that lesson the hard way many years ago.

We didn't get a change to actually roll out an awning from one of the FCs on their lot as they were parked too close together. Based on what we saw on the videos it seems to be easy to deploy and can be tilted but I suppose that will have to wait until later this year when I can find out for myself.

So not to sound too ignorant is there a specific app for the wind speed indication on your iPhone? I was even wondering if it would make sense to get one of those wireless anemometer instruments but think that may be overkill. I never worried about it on our other trailers. We usually took it in when away and at night. Beyond that we would just watch the weather and if the wind picked up or a storm seemed to be approaching we would roll it in.
These help a LOT.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	41A2B21F-F5BC-450A-A714-61CFD390E43A_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	390029  
Old 03-06-2021, 11:12 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Tanunda , SA
G’day, all. We, too, are newbies learning about the Zip Dee awning so echoing thanks for the tips. Of interest, though, is no mention of utilising guy ropes to fend off the wind. Do I presume correctly and the Zip Dee / AS shell just aren’t robust enough and may rip out in a strong gust if guy roped down? Cheers
Old 03-06-2021, 11:29 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
You are fortunate being so close to Colonial - you could not ask for a better Airstream dealership. Be sure to stay at least one night on the lot to test everything.
In the last 3 years I have left my awning up in gentle and hard rains with no issues. It is the wind you really have to watch. My iPhone and iWatch have a very reliable wind speed predictor, and I monitor it like a hawk. As well I have a small decorative yard ornament with a prop on it - it's behavior tells me when to bring the awning in. And of course, you bring it in at night and whenever you leave camp.
Here's possibly a helpful hint, for full time awning deployment.I also use a similar prop, on my tinfoil cap
( so I'm always grounded.See the recent generator grounding thread )
Anyway, I keep my awning (21 foot) out all summer.I keep a couple cinder blocks on each end, with a line from each end of awning tied to block.
If my prop indicates possible lift off wind speeds, I set another block on top of each block.
If you're in a campground, unlike mine, there's an added benefit.You can string some lights up each line, and all along the awning edge.
Safety first, and it sounds like other campers like the lighting....
Old 03-06-2021, 06:20 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBandBONES View Post
Well today we chose. After careful consideration, and significant time walking between two trailers, we went with the Flying Cloud 27FBQ. We had to order it and were told it would be put into production in September with delivery sometime in October.
Why such a long delay before going into production? Dealers in Texas are quoting a June delivery for a order place today.
TexasVine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
TexasVine, that would be great if production was catching up. Perhaps it depends on the model you’re looking for.

Justin Humphreys’ article in the March Blue Beret said they’re sold out into late fall on some products and into the summer on others.

When we ordered our Globetrotter, the dealer had one in the queue and just modified the color and options which saved time on our delivery but that was pre-COVID-19.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F148BB6B-4763-4477-AD64-8C0C88E24C70.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	390074  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:25 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Flying Cloud
Central , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasVine View Post
Why such a long delay before going into production? Dealers in Texas are quoting a June delivery for a order place today.
Great question. I don't know. We were told the problem is with Airstream's suppliers not Airstream itself. So who knows. Maybe we'll get lucky and it will come in earlier.
2011 Jayco 304BHK
Old 03-07-2021, 12:28 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Flying Cloud
Central , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
These help a LOT.

Bob
🇺🇸
I like the picture you posted of your awning deployed earlier. That's kind of what I thought. The handles you mentioned in your second post are purchased after and we would just attach them to the awning?

We're already starting a list since I'm sure by October or November I wouldn't remember the handles.

Thanks for the info.
2011 Jayco 304BHK