Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2005, 12:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
wilson , New York
newbie - 31 foot classic

Hello. We are new to our AS but have already found out that we are in love with our new 31ft Classic. Unfortunately, winter has set in and it may be awhile before we actually get to use it. We enjoy all of the information available on this site and look forward to posting more soon. Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Tin Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 12:36 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Welcome to the Forums!
And, Happy Thanksgiving to you!
Old 11-24-2005, 09:38 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Upland , California
Welcom Tin Can, as a sort of newbie myself I can tell you this is the place for all airstream info. Happy Streaming'
Kestrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 11:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Smile Welcome

Hope you get to enjoy your new Airstream soon. I've been full-timing for six months and the happiness hasn't worn off yet. In fact, the longer I'm in it, the more I seem to enjoy it. I know that even if you only get to use it for the summer you'll love Airstreaming. When the SOB owners talk about how wonderful their slideouts and extra space is, just tell them "I got an Airstream to get away from it all. Why do you want to carry it all with you?"

I helped a neighbor move her SOB trailer back to their home - her husband wrecked their truck and won't be in shape to tow again for at least two months. She'd never pulled the unit herself (lesson ONE, helpless wives... SHOULDN'T be! ) and wouldn't even consider getting a new tow vehicle without Harv along.

They didn't have any kind of anti-sway system so it was just ball and chains towing, and LORD am I grateful it was less than 40 miles to her home! I gotta tell you, when I got back to the campground I hugged my Airstream! Now I finally know why they call 'em SOB's. Your airstream will tow like a puppy... the SOB's tow like a psychotic rotweiler!

I feel sorry for all y'all who can't live under aluminum all the time; but in New York it just isn't practical. Of course many people tell about how much fun they have "driveway camping" with their kids and grandkids, so you might want to try that. And there's always Georgia, Florida, Alabama, etc. Mmmm February in Boca Raton or Savannah.... mmmm. Let's both pause for an Airstream daydream.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 02:02 AM   #5
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Welcome.
I still stand in front of my AS and say WOW!

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 05:05 AM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaFord
Hope you get to enjoy your new Airstream soon. She'd never pulled the unit herself (lesson ONE, helpless wives... SHOULDN'T be! ) and wouldn't even consider getting a new tow vehicle without Harv along.

They didn't have any kind of anti-sway system so it was just ball and chains towing, and LORD am I grateful it was less than 40 miles to her home! I gotta tell you, when I got back to the campground I hugged my Airstream! Now I finally know why they call 'em SOB's. Your airstream will tow like a puppy... the SOB's tow like a psychotic rotweiler!

Mmmm February in Boca Raton or Savannah.... mmmm. Let's both pause for an Airstream daydream.

Tin Lizzie
Paula,
I agree completely...my wife has learned how to hookup the AS...electric jack is a must! She has towed it short distances, however with the new truck I suspect it will be easier. Tell me about SOB'S! I don't know how some people do it, I know after towing an Airstream I never want to go back.

Definitely Savannah! one of my favorite places to visit, and not too far from Charleston either.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 06:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Hello from CNY

Tin Can,

Welcome. I just PM'd you. Great to see another member here from the central NY / western NY area. Are you a member of the WBCCI yet? If not, check out our Washington DC unit (Wash DC only by name), only a $1 above your WBCCI dues. Our unit Pres is from Canada, and our members are all over the US. A very young at heart group.

Check out the units web site: http://www.servintfree.net/wbcci-dc/

See ya down the road!

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 10:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Can
Hello. We are new to our AS but have already found out that we are in love with our new 31ft Classic. Unfortunately, winter has set in and it may be awhile before we actually get to use it. We enjoy all of the information available on this site and look forward to posting more soon. Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Tin Can-----Several years ago I heard a song that was titled, "I Saw It On The Radio". It was about this young boy that lived out in the country and never had been able to see any of the world. He had this radio and he describles how he saw the outside world in his mind as he would lay in bed at night and listen. I find myself much like this boy when we're not out in our AS. Some of my dreaming is of places we've been others where we hope someday to be. I was thinking this morning of how I longed to just on the rim of the Grand Canyon like I have many time and just take in the wonder of it.
I know with a new trailer sitting in your drive that you are like me when I say "I Saw It On The Computer"
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 12:34 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
wilson , New York
Hello all. Thanks for all the kind comments and thoughts. This seems like a very friendly community. RobandZoe, I received your PM and as the time gets closer I will let you know if/when I will be able to make it. Take care.

Tin Can
Old 11-26-2005, 04:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Welcome to the forum.
I'm from the other side of the lake and stayed in 4 mile creek campground this past October. Very nice park. Maybe we can meet there some weekend.
Al
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 04:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Tin Can,
Welcome to the forum. I agree with Tin Lizzie. Terry took me out to a farm a friend of ours owned and we spent a Sunday afternoon with me learning to turn, back and miss obsatacles. (the tree was a small one). Terry, the Argosy, the truck and I all survived. Now I need to learn to back Goliath. He's a "tad" larger than the 20ft argosy.

Give your wife a great gift and help her learn. In an emergency it could be a life saver. Terry also showed my how to pull the pin and drop the trailer, hitch and all off the van. But only in a dire emergency!!

Good Luck
Marie
Old 11-26-2005, 11:11 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
wilson , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd90mac
Tin Can,
Welcome to the forum. I agree with Tin Lizzie. Terry took me out to a farm a friend of ours owned and we spent a Sunday afternoon with me learning to turn, back and miss obsatacles. (the tree was a small one). Terry, the Argosy, the truck and I all survived. Now I need to learn to back Goliath. He's a "tad" larger than the 20ft argosy.

Give your wife a great gift and help her learn. In an emergency it could be a life saver. Terry also showed my how to pull the pin and drop the trailer, hitch and all off the van. But only in a dire emergency!!

Good Luck
Marie
Marie, you provide good information. I have to hand it to you learning how to manuver/handle your rig. I would like to help my wife with learning the same things. Maybe this spring when things warm up a bit and we can finally get to go out.

Take care,
Tin Can
Old 11-26-2005, 11:25 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
wilson , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaFord
Hope you get to enjoy your new Airstream soon. I've been full-timing for six months and the happiness hasn't worn off yet. In fact, the longer I'm in it, the more I seem to enjoy it. I know that even if you only get to use it for the summer you'll love Airstreaming. When the SOB owners talk about how wonderful their slideouts and extra space is, just tell them "I got an Airstream to get away from it all. Why do you want to carry it all with you?"

I helped a neighbor move her SOB trailer back to their home - her husband wrecked their truck and won't be in shape to tow again for at least two months. She'd never pulled the unit herself (lesson ONE, helpless wives... SHOULDN'T be! ) and wouldn't even consider getting a new tow vehicle without Harv along.

I feel sorry for all y'all who can't live under aluminum all the time; but in New York it just isn't practical. Of course many people tell about how much fun they have "driveway camping" with their kids and grandkids, so you might want to try that. And there's always Georgia, Florida, Alabama, etc. Mmmm February in Boca Raton or Savannah.... mmmm. Let's both pause for an Airstream daydream.

Tin Lizzie
Tin Lizzie,

Thanks for the daydream. I can picture it quite vividly right now. You also give good advice and I thank you for it. When I brought our TT home from the dealer I couldn't believe how easily it seemed to slide down the road. I can't wait to get out and do some real traveling/camping. We have a trip planned for March. I will attempt to take some pictures and try to share them with everyone.

Take care,
Tin Can
Old 12-18-2007, 07:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
new to this sight... just seeing what the buzz is all about and find out more about fellow vintage airstreamers...
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote