Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2017, 08:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Satellite Beach , Florida
NEWBIE 1969 31' Sovereign rescued from the woods

Hello all! I am a newbie to the forums but not a newbie to vintage trailers. I have however, realized that the AS is a completely different beast when it comes to restoration. I recently pulled a '69 from abandon, quite literally I had to use an excavator to pull her out, and have since been prepping to gut and renovate. There are a few key items off the bat that I would like to get feedback if possible. First, do I need to order complete replacement axle kits from ASsupply or is there an alternative? Secondly, the last 4 ft of the frame, beneath the bathroom is severely damaged, I would like to rebuild, but would like input as to recommended, or OEM, size of C Channel and cross members? Any and all feedback is appreciated!
ASHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:09 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
40 people looked at this thread before me, but none of them welcomed you to the Forums. Time to correct that oversight, so… Welcome to the AirForums! We're glad to have you with us.

I don't have good answers to your questions, but I would say that new axles are probably in your future. Without knowing what shape the old ones are in, the fact that it was partially buried when you found it is the best indicator we have that the axles are too far gone to salvage.

I don't have answers regarding the frame channel and cross-member sizes. But channel sizes are standardized in the US, so you can find the right size with a tape measure (or better, a caliper if you have one, as in this photo)

and this webpage:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/am...ls-d_1321.html
Old 07-29-2017, 06:40 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Protagonist, thank you for the welcome! I have indeed started the process of acquiring new complete axle kits and have a fabricator coming by today to let me know what all needs to be done. I will begin posting pics in the future once the flooring has been removed and fabrication has begun for the benefit of other viewers.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:52 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Louisville , Colorado
ASHeron,

Welcome. I am new here too.

Also, PICTURES!!! Would love to see pictures!
DreamininMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:02 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
So I have completely gutted the interior walls minus the front cap and have almost 1/2 of the floor removed. The C Channel that the frame is built with is actually 14guage steel with a 5" height. Instead of searching for a match, I chose to go with 1/4" C Channel, 3" high to rebuild the main runs and this has proven to be a much stronger, but heavier alternative. Will post more info and actual pics soon DreamininMT.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:03 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
Me too

I have spent several years restoring a 1976 31 foot sovereign . I thought I would rest awhile. Forget that, my son talked me into pulling a 1969 that was pretty much in the woods and not used for a long time. Just have started and not sure what we will find. Currently my son decided to strip the vinal from the wall and polish the aluminum inside while I work on some things outside. We will see how this whole project goes.

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
AL’ UM- MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:52 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Good luck with your reno, lots of (all) of your questions can be answered by doing a search. Best search method is to search With google and add, airforums to your search.
Have fun.

Are you building a entirely new frame?
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:04 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
For my 69 Sov, I am rebuilding the last 4' of the frame but extending another 2' onto the solid frame. If anyone is doing their own fabrication and going with a thicker gauge, be careful as even 90amps on my tombstone with 3/32 rods was blowing threw the 14guage original. The entire rear end literally fell out once I got the trailer out of the woods. Luckily, it was mostly the holding pan and the underpinning as there was still enough of the frame intact to get it home without dragging a toilet behind me! Long, slow drive.

Tags
sovereign