Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #1

Christiansburg , Virginia
Newb from VA/SC

We have been lusting after an AS for years. Now we bought a lot on a tidal creek in Beaufort SC that will eventually be our retirement home. In the meantime plan to put in water/electric/septic and buy an AS, our first camper, as "camp house and vacation home" and probably take it on the road occasionally as well. There are 5 of us (though my son will be going to college in a year or so). We are debating going smaller (Bambi 19) for ease of use and expense, or larger (25 FB) for comfort. Any thoughts? Also, since it will be used more frequently as a home than a trailer, should we be putting it up on stands when it sits for months? It will be exposed to the weather full time, so should we plan on getting a cover to protect it when we are not using it (our present home is 6 hours away so there may be times we are not there for a couple of months). I know I asked a lot of questions. Looking forward to the new adventure and learning from you all.
jrchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
You may want to take a look at the larger units as well. They may give more room if you are going to be spending extended time in your as.
A covered structure would be nice if you are able to do so. Besides the protection from the weather, it would help regulate temp. in the summer heat.
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Welcome,, and my vote is go bigger.. The extra 5 or 6 foot is not a deal killer for towing,, and you will not find yourself falling over each other when inside on a rainy day..

Any protection is better than none.. I too am looking at a port to park mine under,, but first budget plan is paying off the new axles I got for our 72 Overlander.

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
We love our 30. It pulls like a dream. We don't get cabin fever on rainy days. We can be on the road a month or more and never run out of storage space. Your scenario cries out for 28-30 feet. Welcome to the family
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
Agreed. Bigger would be better but it depends on what you plan to tow it with.

You mention 'getting a cover.' There is no cover(tarp or car cover type of thing) available that will not scratch the finish. A structure would be your only choice.

I would be very concerned about theft of your trailer while it sits there unoccupied. Every effort should be made to secure it to the degree possible.

Another consideration is that hurricane season will be here in 6 weeks. A good plan to get it out of there in a hurry should the need arise.

We are just up the road in Charleston. Give us a shout if we can help you.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Maybe a pole barn-type structure would work nice
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
When we started looking it was for 23 footers. We quickly revised thru 25 and 27 and ended up with a 28. When the kids fly the nest, we won't downsize, either.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
A 19-foot trailer won't be satisfactory for five. Not enough beds or seats at the table. This size is crowded for two adults and two pre-teens, or three adults.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #9

Christiansburg , Virginia
Thanks for all the helpful hints. We are modifying the plan. I also was concerned about leaving it out unattended for extended periods. I have decided to build a garage that can house the AS and boat, then simply pull the AS out and use it when we are there. It will protect from theft and weather and give us a place to store beach stuff, mowers, etc. I am going to look harder at longer units as well. Thanks again!
jrchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
My wife and I bought our AS last September. We are very happy that we went with the 25 foot Flying Cloud especially since we have our son and grandson frequently camping with us.

John
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrchain View Post
We are debating going smaller (Bambi 19) for ease of use and expense, or larger (25 FB) for comfort. Any thoughts?

After retirement we started out with a 19.5' Roadtrek Agile, kind of like the Airstream Interstate but smaller. After living in it (on the road) for 3 months we wanted bigger. After ruling out Class "A"s and 5th wheels it came down to trailers. Once we settled on trailers it was Airstream as the only choice.

Once we started kicking tires the 27' size had what we thought we'd need in retirement as far as space goes. A walk around queen sized bed for one. A shower and bathroom that feels like home and room enough in the kitchen to really prepare a meal.

If you're headed for retirement and don't plan on driving it all that much I'd go for the largest airstream you can find.

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote