Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2006, 09:32 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
carbondale , Illinois
New user

Hello, Airstream Community. Let me start my introduction by telling you how great I think this forum is. I have done restorations on other vehicles in the past with internet help, but this takes the cake. Nice job.

I have not yet purchased my first airstream, so I'm looking for a little advice. I am an aviation mechanic, so I think I pretty much ready for any level of restoration. I am doing the restoration for resale, and I want as large a return on my investment as possible. I'm still trying to get a feel for the market, so any help in that department will be fully appreciated.

I live in Southern Illinois. If anyone has a trailer in need of some TLC, please let me know. I'll leave it at that for now. I look forward to the input and advice.

Thanks, Matt

"Stand on the shoulders of the generations that have come before you."
matt romero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:41 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums, Matt. I think that the Bambis and other small Airstreams of the past will give the best return. the little guys seem to sell quicker at a higher price.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forums!

I agree with moosetags that Bambis and small Airstreams will give the best return. You might want to check out whether folks seem to like "original" or "renovated" the buyers in the two categories may have differring views on what they would pay.

I would also be choosy on what you purchase for resale. If you have to do a shell off restoration and repair a lot of stuff, plus polish the 'stream, you may/may not get much return on your investment. For example, we restored a 1963 Bambi and probably have as much $ invested in it as it would sell for on the market. This does not count our time!

Be sure you surf the site and see how much work is involved in various projects. It should give you a nice idea. Good luck on your venture.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Welcome Matt, I'm sure you're going to love working Airstreams vs. Cessnas. Rivets are rivets right? Airstreams with 'hanger rash' are plentiful, seems they buckle like a hard landing on a C-172 firewall.
The good news is that you don't need a clearance or a 337 to test your repair work. Good luck with your search.
Motorhomes are the most depressed prices what with gas prices in a state of flux.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:38 AM   #5
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Hi Mat,

Greetings from Carbondale! Good to see someone else in the area is interested in airstreams. Fair warning about your plan though, once you get one you wont be wanting to let it go. Good luck with your search, let me know if I can be of any help.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote