Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2006, 09:55 PM   #1

Delta , BC
New Trailer

I am looking for a used Airstream Trailer and would like some advice on which size to get for a family of four for an extended road trip? Any advice would be appreciated.
Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:03 PM   #2
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi Vancouver--If you stay with 25' to 27' you will have enough sleeping room for 4, some room to move around, and you can still tow it with a 1/2 ton truck or SUV, with a 5.3ltr engine. Any larger trailer and you will need a heavier duty truck and larger engine.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Welcome Vancouver. The folks that I know with more than two people typically look at 24' and up. That said I know of many families who haul 17' trailers and are able to accommodate two adults and two kids. It all comes down to how easy it is for you to live in close quarters and what level of comfort you need to make the trip fun, and the age of the kids. As a kid with many brothers and sisters when we moved up to a 19' foot we thought we'd died and gone to heaven. Now my wife and I have a 21' and it's about as small as I'd want for any longer trips.
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Just buy one of every model!

Depends on if the kids can share a bed. Depends on how big a TV (tow vehicle). Depends a lot on where/what type of "camping" you enjoy.

Curious as to why you've zero'ed in on an Airstream? Not that that's a bad choice

We're a family of three so a little different situation. But, If we had a larger TV and if all the stars aligned I'd be looking for a "bunkhouse" plan. If only they made an Argosy 24 rear door bunk house

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forums. There are several threads on this very subject, so search and read all the great ideas! In addition to the type/size of tow vehicle and your family needs you might also want to consider the length for where you wish to travel. Many National Forest campgrounds have size limitations... you might make a list of your requirements and see how it matches others. There is a good thread on considerations for buying an airstream ~ mostly about newer ones, but a lot of the same considerations apply.

Good luck! Have fun! Look at lots of trailers and pictures to give you a sense of what your family would like.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:14 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Kelowna , BC
Welcome

Funny, I was searching the forums for a similar question. I was drawn to the 31' for spaciousness but then read/heard about restrictions or drawbacks to the longer AS. We've scaled down to something in the 27' to 29' range. And I'm still checking out the forums We're up in Kelowna-ville, so not as many around these parts, altho tomorrow we're planning to check out a 28' model. We'll see and let you know.
bdezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 05:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Welcome to the forum Vancouver, from North Vancouver! I have a 25' Tradewind and it would probably suit a family of four nicely. It's about just right for me and my two labrador retrievers. You could go to the Airstream dealer out in Abbotsford to try out the various sizes of new units, but I'm not sure they have a great selection. Check out as many used units as you can to get a feel for floor plans and decide which one works best for you. Check on line with buysell.com as well as craigslist.com. There are always a few listed on those two sites. Good luck with your search!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdezz
Funny, I was searching the forums for a similar question. I was drawn to the 31' for spaciousness but then read/heard about restrictions or drawbacks to the longer AS. We've scaled down to something in the 27' to 29' range. And I'm still checking out the forums We're up in Kelowna-ville, so not as many around these parts, altho tomorrow we're planning to check out a 28' model. We'll see and let you know.
bdezz - there's a 70's? 27' AS in town here that is just sitting in an empty lot. I've never seen it move. I don't know if it's for sale or not, but could check it out for you if you're interested. (We're about 180 miles south of you)
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:03 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Kelowna , BC
PM sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
bdezz - there's a 70's? 27' AS in town here that is just sitting in an empty lot. I've never seen it move. I don't know if it's for sale or not, but could check it out for you if you're interested. (We're about 180 miles south of you)
Thanks WA! Sent you a response via email. Appreciate the heads-up.

Cheers,
Blane
Old 07-30-2006, 10:54 PM   #10
Argosy/Airstream since 79

1989 29' Excella
Newport , Oregon
Nice to see a post from Kelowna...one of our favorite places to visit.

Check the classifieds regularly here on the forum. Also lots of newspaper classifieds are accessible via the web; that's how we found our 29' a few years ago. Maybe Great Pumpkin can get you information on the Washington one.

While you search for that elusive Airstream, we sure to keep an eye out for Ogopogo, too!

jim
OreExcella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdezz
Thanks WA! Sent you a response via email. Appreciate the heads-up.

Cheers,
Blane
Well, it turns out it is a 1973 29' Ambassador. (I29B3 -S****.) I managed to track down the owner to see if they were interested in selling it and got a short answer: "no, period"

Good luck on your search.
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 11:00 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Kelowna , BC
And a great big thanks, Pumpkin! Just checked out the local Buy&Sell and spotted a 1988 AS Argosy ($14,995 CDN...hmmm, seems a tad high...): http://www.buysell.com/root/detail/B...nditioner.aspx
No indication of length. Will have to wait until next week to find out details. Interesting reading about other folks' experiences with different vintages/models. Gives us lots of food for thought. So, a big thanks all over the place!