Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2020, 04:22 AM   #1

Miami , Florida
New to Trailer/RV Camping...

Hello everyone. Not entirely new to camping, but in the past it's involved strapping a tent to the back of my motorcycle and riding somewhere. Some job considerations have got me started thinking about getting a motorhome or trailer and just living in it full time. I do have a house, but work halfway across the country and will be there most of the month.

So a few weekends ago, I went to a variety of RV stealers and just did some window shopping. After looking at a variety of different trailers and motorhomes from different manufacturers, I sort of came away with the following - albeit uninformed - impression of quality.

1.Airstream
2.Newmar
3.A fairly big gap then to pretty much everything else that did little to separate itself from the pack (Jayco, Forest River, etc).

Admittedly there are other products out there (like Holiday Rambler, Avion) that I didn't see.

So I'd appreciate your advice on this decision. I've already looked at a variety of internet resources. I was leaning towards a trailer that I could use to pull with my 1/2 ton truck, park it in one place for a season, and then use the tow vehicle as my car. Probably in the 27-30 foot range max based on the length of the overall package and the weight that my 1/2 ton can tow.

Of course then I had to take a look pictures of classic motorhomes like the 280 and 325 online...

Thanks.
MovingAlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Consider the climate at your work location. Airstreams, and probably most other trailers can be challenging in severe winter conditions.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:44 AM   #3
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
I researched for almost 3 years until I settled on an Airstream. What gave me the most information in the shortest amount of time was to attend this seminar in Tennessee.

For year round ultimate comfort, I would lean towards a 5th wheel, especially if it is to be stationary for any length of time. There are a few lite versions that can be managed by today's half tons, just be mindful of the specs. For example.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:40 PM   #4

Miami , Florida
Wisconsin. Winter will be hard, but perhaps I'll just hotel it from Nov-March?

What is it about a fifth wheel that makes it better for four season use?
MovingAlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:55 AM   #5
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAlong View Post
Wisconsin. Winter will be hard, but perhaps I'll just hotel it from Nov-March?

What is it about a fifth wheel that makes it better for four season use?
Well, "some" that are designated "4 season" (Airstream is not) are insulated with R ratings you can evaluate, have tank heaters, thermopane windows and more.
If battling a Wisconsin winter, yes, I would seriously consider a hotel or B&B.

I've spent a few weeks in the snow in my Airstream - it is doable and survivable, but, not a long-term gig, imho.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 11:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
For a four season trailer, take a look at the Arctic Fox. We were just about to pull the trigger on an Arctic Fox fifth wheel when my Wife decided we could afford the Airstream after all. No regrets, but being able to camp in winter would be a good option to have.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Another camper that is 4 season that is a travel trailer is the Lance. They are a bit more expensive, but not as expensive as the Airstream. Not sure of their quality but their reviews are solid. They don't have as many windows (which for my wife is a major factor since she is a little claustrophobic).

The reason I went with Airstream:

1). The ability to resell them. Well taken care of airstreams hold their value better and the resale is good.
2). My wife is a bit claustrophobic and the big windows of the Airstream made her feel the best.
3). Quality. Although even Airstreams will have problems, it seemed the general quality was clearly obvious. I wanted something that wouldn't just fall apart.
4). The styling. I didn't want a shell that would look ugly in a few years. The aluminum shell just looked better.
5). I could pull my 28' with a 1/2 ton and airstreams pull easier due to aerodynamic design.
6). We wouldn't camp in the winter anyways.

The problem with motorhomes (IMHO) means pulling another vehicle behind it. I didn't want to deal with that. And my brother and sister have had them, and the upkeep on them was significant.

It's a hard decision to make, and everyone has their own reasons for what they do.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote