Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2006, 05:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
New to the group!

Hello all, and thanks for a group filled with great information!
The wife and I had been looking for a camper for some time when I came across a 1965 Overlaner for sale locally, so we went to look at it. It was all original and had been sitting in a barn for 20 or so years. It was filthy, the curtains and bed were all dry-rotted, and it had "the funk" from sitting so long. I saw a diamond in the rough and offered the guy cash on the spot, but the wife was hesitant. She thought it needed "too much work". I told her if I we don't buy it, it would haunt me for years. I made a deal with her, if I could get the thing fixed up for our vacation (2 months later) we would keep it, if not, it would be sold. I loved the thing, and couldn't let that happen, so I brought it home a few days later and got busy.
Two monts later, The Airstream had undergone a massive renovation. I mostly gutted the thing and started over. It's a darn good thing I remodel homes for a living, and have a well equiped shop, or I may have had to honor the bargain with the wife and sell her! (the Airstream, that is) For the renovation, I really wanted to keep things as original as possible, so I salvaged whatever I could, and replaced whatever I couldn't. Plus, I made some modifications to the kitchen cabinets to make the things a little more open. Well, I was close to the deadline and was still hooking up some plumbing and gas lines the first two days of our vacation, but it passed. It felt pretty good to hear the wife say she wouldn't trade our Airstream for anything else now. I don' think I could have done it without all the good info here.
Now that camping season is almost here, I've started on the outside. I've already replaced the Nixon-era tires and rims, priced axles, stripped the clear coat, and ordered some polish! Can't wait to get started, and we are looking forward to joining a caravan soon. Thanks again, Dave and Fritzi.
Streamin 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
Welcome

Its always nice to here how and what people do to their Airstreams. I'm so glad you met your wifes deadline. When you get a little more comfortable, we would love to see some pictures of what and how you did it.
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:04 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums!
And the world of vintage Overlander ownership. There are several Overlanderers (Overlandees?) here, most of us doing some kind of work on them. If you get stuck for ideas, or want to check out what others have done, you can do a forum search (the "search" button in the blue tool bar above the Google ads) on "Overlander".
Old 03-14-2006, 06:07 PM   #4
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Wow, Wow, Wow!!!!
Welcome. Once an Airstream owner, always an Airstream owner!!
I got excited just reading your post!! Good for you with your skills and furtunate to take on such a task (or crazy!) as you did. WELL DONE!! Make sure you post some pictures.

Once again, Welcome Aboard! This truly is a great Forum to be part of.

May your future trips be safe and joyfull!! )

R/
Safari-Rick
2005 Airstream 25 Safari LS
2005 Dodge Dakota Quadcab/ 287 V8

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:18 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Hi Dave and Fritze. Your post made me laugh. I could just see you restoring the interion of your AS and looking at the calendar at the same time. Good luck on the exterior work. It will be better without a deadline. joe
joewinfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 06:38 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Decherd , Tennessee
Hey Dave-

Way to go! I'd love to see some pics of the progress or at least the end result. Maybe we'll see you at a rally one day. Best of luck to you both!

nazz300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 06:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Welcome. Your story made me smile. I think once you see one of these old beauties, you just want to make it whole again. I'm working on getting a 1958 Overlander to keep my 78 Argosy company. No title yet, but I working on getting Oklahoma to give me a title with a Bill of Sale. Every time I talk to the DMV I get a different story on what forms I need. Up to about five so far. Hope I get my prise home like you did.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamin 65
Hello all, and thanks for a group filled with great information!
The wife and I had been looking for a camper for some time when I came across a 1965 Overlaner for sale locally, so we went to look at it. It was all original and had been sitting in a barn for 20 or so years. It was filthy, the curtains and bed were all dry-rotted, and it had "the funk" from sitting so long. I saw a diamond in the rough and offered the guy cash on the spot, but the wife was hesitant. She thought it needed "too much work". I told her if I we don't buy it, it would haunt me for years. I made a deal with her, if I could get the thing fixed up for our vacation (2 months later) we would keep it, if not, it would be sold. I loved the thing, and couldn't let that happen, so I brought it home a few days later and got busy.
Two monts later, The Airstream had undergone a massive renovation. I mostly gutted the thing and started over. It's a darn good thing I remodel homes for a living, and have a well equiped shop, or I may have had to honor the bargain with the wife and sell her! (the Airstream, that is) For the renovation, I really wanted to keep things as original as possible, so I salvaged whatever I could, and replaced whatever I couldn't. Plus, I made some modifications to the kitchen cabinets to make the things a little more open. Well, I was close to the deadline and was still hooking up some plumbing and gas lines the first two days of our vacation, but it passed. It felt pretty good to hear the wife say she wouldn't trade our Airstream for anything else now. I don' think I could have done it without all the good info here.
Now that camping season is almost here, I've started on the outside. I've already replaced the Nixon-era tires and rims, priced axles, stripped the clear coat, and ordered some polish! Can't wait to get started, and we are looking forward to joining a caravan soon. Thanks again, Dave and Fritzi.
Good job, buddy! I hope you and the family are enjoying your work. That is where my satisfaction comes from: enjoying it with my family. God bless!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:38 PM   #9
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
Welcome to the forums, sounds like you found a dimond in the ruf, and will soon have it looking like a fine cut dimond, Congrats..
Old 03-15-2006, 10:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Exclamation Welcome

Welcome to the forums. Loads of great help here as I'm sure you already know. Hope to see you down the road..... Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:18 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Congrats to you! What a find. Welcome to the forums.