Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2019, 01:01 PM   #1

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Mississauga , Ontario
New to the forum with a question

Good afternoon! We have just finalized our purchase of a 23FB Flying cloud. We are new to RV'ing and we are really excited.
Our dealer has steered us towards choosing the Truffle colour even though we like the Sandpaper a bit better. He says it's better for resale (imagining that we will want to move "up" one day) and that it's easier to keep clean.
Does anyone on this forum have any advice?
Warm regards!!
Carrie
CarrieLuigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Pick the color YOU want to live with--the material is the same!

BTW...it's not up to the dealer to predict what you like or plan to do with YOUR Airstream. Stick to your guns, or find another dealer ASAP.

I suspect he's trying to palm something off on you that he has too many of...

The last time a dealer tried to sell us something DW did not want, he ate it...and she got exactly what she wanted, at the price she wanted, and with the accessories she wanted. As it should be, which is why we are still married. (for LOTS longer than either of us expected, BTW...)
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:42 PM   #3
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
First of all, welcome to the forum. It's good to have you as a member and we look forward to your contributions.

My advice is the same as rmkrum, get what you want now. How much difference could the color make when and if you decide to make a trade for another AS years from now. In the meantime you have what you want and can enjoy it everyday!

Also, just an after thought, make sure that you will not wish you had a 25' or 27' at some later point as trading up is a relatively expensive process.

Wishing you the best in whatever you choose!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:43 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Woodland , California
Do not settle for something you don't want simply because the dealer pushes you toward a different option; you are likely to regret it every time you walk into "your" Airstream.

Doesn't Airstream claim that the Ultraleather material is easy to keep clean and maintain? I do not remember seeing a disclaimer stating "except for Sandpiper interiors". And it is doubtful that you will take much of a hit if you decide to trade up later because of your color option.

We picked the Truffle interior because it came with the lighter counter tops, which we preferred. We decided to order one from the factory to get the options we wanted, and we were willing to wait for it. Our dealer did not try to sell us something we did not want, nor did he hesitate to order one for us.
Mach5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Pick the colors and options that you want. You will enjoy is much more and be less inclined to move on to a different one later, which is exactly what your salesman wants you to do. You are more inclined to do that with a TT you just like than one you love.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Pick the color you like. There are only three color combos, all are good. The dealer may be trying to steer you to an in-stock unit. You might have to wait for a different color option. Your choice.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:32 PM   #7
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans627 View Post
[...]
also, just an after thought, make sure that you will not wish you had a 25' or 27' at some later point as trading up is a relatively expensive process.

Wishing you the best in whatever you choose!
^+1
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:37 PM   #8

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Ditto on selecting the color of your preference. Resale based a presumption of likes or dislikes is a folly, and I suspect this is an inventory/availability issue for the dealer. It is important that you are completely satisfied with your selection given the amount of capital involved.

Best of luck and welcome!

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
And, for what it's worth, I just looked at the Sandpiper interior colors, and I like the light colors a LOT better than the Truffle seating.

My dogs are mostly light color coats, and the dark ultraleather would probably show off EVERY shed dog hair.

Thinking further, the last time we looked on a dealer lot, the dark cushions predominated. I'd bet for sure he's pushing what he's got in stock or on the way.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:26 PM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Yep...moving up is common😘

😏 Maybe it's just that your dealer knows which one would be easier for him to resell.😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-04-2019, 04:06 PM   #11
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Welcome to the forum. Regardless of what you decide you will love your new rig

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieLuigi View Post
We have just finalized our purchase of a 23FB Flying cloud.
Welcome!

Isn't this question a little late?

If not, buy what you want. If it is too late, don't worry, just go out and enjoy it! I doubt it make a whole lot of difference if/when you decide to sell.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:51 PM   #13
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
First - welcome to the forum. You are going to really like an AS and the wonderful folks in this community who will support you.

Second - if you are buying a 23, congratulations on making a great choice. The 2ftitis issue is valid, but if you have done your research, the 23 will provide you with lots of smiles.

The color choice. Buy your favorite. Dark colors may be more popular, but lighter colors sell too. That is why they are offered. When it comes time to sell, you will find a happy buyer for an AS.

There is a separate forum for the 23D(C/B) and the 23FB. Lots of good information on each and they are worth your study.

Good Luck with your coach purchase. Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:44 PM   #14

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Mississauga , Ontario
Thanks for the incredible responses

Thanks to everyone for their thoughtful responses. I can tell that my husband (Luigi) and I (Carrie) are really going to learn a lot from the folks on this forum. We are so excited and can't wait for the Spring to pick up our new Airstream!!!!!
Happy weekend everyone
Carrie
CarrieLuigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:30 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
I don't think you can go wrong with any of their color choices. If one color was bad for resale, it would likely be bad for original sale and not be one of the choices. We picked the Honey color that most closely matches our Golden Retriever dog hair. Did same with truck interior. No clue why we do that since everything he lays on gets a cover over it, but that's a whole different discussion.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartsDad View Post
I don't think you can go wrong with any of their color choices. If one color was bad for resale, it would likely be bad for original sale and not be one of the choices. We picked the Honey color that most closely matches our Golden Retriever dog hair. Did same with truck interior. No clue why we do that since everything he lays on gets a cover over it, but that's a whole different discussion.
Your dealer, if he has the sense god gave a duck may allow you to change your color... especially if you suggest that a larger unit might be in your future. Got nothing to lose by making a call. But you will likely love the current color too. Especially if ypu search STERLING on the forum.

A few years ago there was a trimline called "sterling" the color schemes were an intense magenta and a mustard-baby poo yellow.... (and that was the floor covering!) and maybe a silver and black one, too. Horrible I thought. They probably made fewer than 200 total. I think every dealer who ordered even one had to fire sale it. I did see one of the magenta ones which with the help of a large area rug and really cleverly chosen accessories actually looked nice. I think it will be a long time before you see anything "edgy" coming from the factory again.