Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2017, 04:31 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Glen Allan , Mississippi
New to the forum! No nothing about air streams

Hi everyone!! My husband and I purchased this from a friend. Paid $2,000 for it. We were told it is a 1978. Not sure if we overpaid or not 😬 Can some of you awesome experts help us! Thank you so much!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2394.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	358.9 KB
ID:	284217   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2398.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	315.2 KB
ID:	284218  

Name:	IMG_2391.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	341.5 KB
ID:	284219   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2396.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	388.6 KB
ID:	284220  

Name:	IMG_2388.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	363.2 KB
ID:	284221  
bbheigle0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
$2000 is a pretty good price for most any Airstream.

Depending on how much work you want to do to it, you now own an unlimited opportunity to spend money.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Welcome. It was produced in Oct 1977. It probably was sold and initially titled as a 1978. For 2 grand I would say you got a heck of a deal if the floor is not rotted out and most the systems still work. Looks like you will need a couple of propane tanks and probably new batteries and tires.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome to the vintage Airstream hobby. I do not believe you paid too much. I do believe you will pay a lot more to get it "travel ready". You will need to do a thorough analysis of your 78 trailer from the tires up. Tires, brakes, bearings, axles, belly pan, frame, subfloor, electrical system, exterior lighting, plumbing system, all appliances, body rainwater leaks, windows, doors, etc, etc. Make a list of everything that needs attention; much of it will. Then get to work! Old Airstreams can be made like new again with enough time and money. I understand the trailers from the wet and lush southeast have more frame rust issues than trailers from the dry and hot southwest. That makes sense to me.

You will find a wealth of information here on Air Forums as you work your project trailer.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:38 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
Show us some photos of the inside
shineybullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheigle0605 View Post
Hi everyone!! My husband and I purchased this from a friend. Paid $2,000 for it. We were told it is a 1978. Not sure if we overpaid or not 😬 Can some of you awesome experts help us! Thank you so much!!!!
Welcome.....get your check book out and let the fun begin......
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:51 PM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Concerns

If the coach was stored inside, it may be in good shape, but if you store it outside that can change in a hurry. Research skin, window and vent leaks.

If the tires are toast they must be replaced before you tow it anywhere. The loss of a tread on a 50 mile trip home can do multi-thousands of dollars damage to the wheel well and aluminum around that area. Good tread means nothing. Trailer tires usually fail internally from heat and side wall stress. They seldom wear out the tread.

The hubs/bearings likely need repacking if that maintenance has not bee done in the last two years.

The brakes need to be checked. If you pack the wheel bearings, the initial inspection of the brakes is an easy part of the process. If you are having the bearing packed, it may be cost effective to have the brakes replaced at the same time as the labor to pull it all apart is same.

Battery power is required to activate the brakes if the trailer come off the ball. So install at least one fresh battery if what is there now fails to hold a charge.

Lots to learn. Research the threads for info. You do not need to know everything, just enough to know what can bite you in the pocket book and how to avoid the worst.

When towing, watch that you do not hit anything. Use a spotter and if you do not know where you are. stop and look. Look beside, the coach does not follow exactly; look behind, cameras and mirrors help; look up, trees and roofs can bite hard.

From the pictures, it looks like a very nice coach. Hope it provides you with lots of happy adventures. Go slow, plan and understand the basics first. You will do great. Worst case, you have a great aluminum tent until you get it all worked out. Get it safe to travel, get it clean, keep it dry, and enjoy your shiny and the smiles it will deliver! Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:21 PM   #8
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
A backup camera system and 2-way
Radios are trailer backing God Sends.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:26 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
At this point in time, a backup camera should be waaaay down the list of what you need to spend money on!
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:33 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
Welcome

I paid a lot more for my "starter" Airstream 7 years ago. You are in for a wonderful hobby and many wonderful experiences if you get it all fixed up. You will find the people at the Airstream factory at Jackson Center, Ohio wonderful at helping you. You will want to get the "Newby" book from the Airstream Life people.

You will find that we have some wonderful campgrounds at some wonderful State Parks. You are in for a wonderful adventure. Take you time, relax and injoy.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote