Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2007, 02:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Madisonville , Kentucky
New to the AKSF

Hi to all,

I've read the forum for well over a year, but have never joined until now. We enjoy our 06 Safari FB, and look forward to spending more and more time traveling.

We experienced a situation this weekend that I haven't seen posted, and wanted to alert owners with a plastic vent cover somewhere on the unit. (the factory cover, not the Fantastic Fan cover)

We traveled 100 miles to a campground, and discovered that the vent cap had cracked and half was missing, with rain expected. (Naturally)

I was able to get the remaining piece from the top, and discovered it was totally baked to a delicate crunch. It literally crumbled in my hands. This is the factory vent cover, and lasted about 18 months. We are trying to get another cover, with the folks at the Factory being no help, nor the dealer we bought it from, but another dealer in Florida is sending us an aftermarket replacement. CHECK YOUR VENT COVERS.

One never knows if a nut, pine cone, or a branch will fall on the cover and break it, so we'll have a spare on board from now on.

Anyone out there have any experience with this?

Thanks.
BSmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
BSmiley, glad you joined and it's good to hear from you. Thanks for the tip on the vent covers.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Barry, it's good to see you "officially" joined us. Somewhere down the road, you may want to look into upgrading the factory vent to a Fantastic Fan. They move more air, and IIRC the covers have a lifetime warranty. You can do a search on "fantastic Fan" or "Shurflo fan", and get more info. Also, I've had to use a heavy duty garbage bag in place of a vent cover before, with a bungee cord wrapped around the base of the vent to hold the bag.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello BSmiley and Welcome to the Forums!

I've heard of this from several sources -- http://www.airforums.com/forums/f455...mbi-22733.html and http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164...ler-34901.html for instance. It does seem to be a common problem. I assume it's more with units stored in the sun. Outsourcing without testing I suspect...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:01 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ellis Grove , Illinois
Welcome: Have you heard of MAX-AIR vent covers? They cover the vent and let you open and close the vent protecting the vent from the eliments.
Good luck
KANEHILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Nice avatar KANEHILL! Too cool... Max-Air can be found here by searching on either 'maxair' or 'max-air.' They're an additional roofline visual impact but some people really like them. Vintage owners don't even like air conditioners up top -- prefer to go commando.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:39 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by KANEHILL
Welcome: Have you heard of MAX-AIR vent covers? They cover the vent and let you open and close the vent protecting the vent from the eliments.
Good luck
I have them on our Airstream:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 139.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	45204  
Old 09-12-2007, 08:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Terry,Yours looks like it's backwards. I wanted to install one on my new trailer as I really liked them on the previous one. My forward vent opens to catch the wind vice deflecting it. I thought the Maxx Air cover wouldn't work or look right with the vertical end facing forward. I thought eventually I would turn the vent around. Why would the factory install it that way?
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote