Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2006, 12:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Arroyo Grande , California
New to the Airstream Life

Hi Everyone
We are new to the Airstream Life and are so excited to finally find ours. It seems these "Silver Beauties" keep slipping through our hands! We are keeping the faith...there is an Airstream for us.
We are a family of 4 (parents and 2 kids) and we are looking for an older AS that we can take cross US and to local beaches, lakes in our beautiful Central Coast of Calif.
I did have question for you experienced Airstreamers...I hope it hasn't been asked a million times before... We are currently looking at 1966 Tradewind 25' (may be sold already) and a 1966 Overlander 27'- is there a big difference between 25' & 27' with towing, campground use, etc? Because, the 25' go like hotcakes!
Thanks for any help.
4happycamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:57 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Santa Barbara , California
from one newbie to another...

Hi 4happycampers! Thought I would respond since we have a few things in common. We are also new airstreamers (bought a 67 safari about a month ago that we found in Denver), we also have four happy campers in our family (us plus two kids, ages 4 and 6), and we live up the river from you in Santa Barbara. We won't be much help in the technical department since we're new to the AS world too, but I can say welcome to the airstream forums! Lots of great information here!
Old 07-06-2006, 03:04 PM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4happycamprs
Hi Everyone
We are new to the Airstream Life and are so excited to finally find ours. It seems these "Silver Beauties" keep slipping through our hands! We are keeping the faith...there is an Airstream for us.
We are a family of 4 (parents and 2 kids) and we are looking for an older AS that we can take cross US and to local beaches, lakes in our beautiful Central Coast of Calif.
I did have question for you experienced Airstreamers...I hope it hasn't been asked a million times before... We are currently looking at 1966 Tradewind 25' (may be sold already) and a 1966 Overlander 27'- is there a big difference between 25' & 27' with towing, campground use, etc? Because, the 25' go like hotcakes!
Thanks for any help.
I can tell you from experience that there's little to no difference in towing either of the trailers that you are considering.
Some state and local campgrounds have length restrictions, though, where the 26ft might no longer qualify, whereas the 24ft TradeWind would still be a "go".
However, in California, most of the restrictions that I have encountered are even lower than 24ft, more like 19-22ft etc. for trailers, and somewhat longer for motorhomes.
With 2 kids, I would choose the Overlander, simply because if you get rained out or need to be inside for any lenth of time with the 2 little ones, the extra 2ft can be worth their weight in gold.
I could be wrong, but I think that a 66 TradeWind is 24ft, and a 66 Overlander is 26ft.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:10 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Uwe is correct about the length. In 69 everything got a foot longer.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums. I don't think you will notice much difference between the 25 and 27' trailers. Find the floor plan which will suit your family the best. As for towing them I hear from people who tow the big 31' and over trailers that they are easy to tow and get into campsites.
Good luck to you in your search, it will pay back many happy times.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:58 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Paso Robles , California
You live in AG, we're in the North County (Paso.) You're right...there's not much to choose from with older used ones in our area. I looked and looked for a newer one and finally found ours in Santee (by San Diego.) Drove home with it yesterday...everyone says these trailers tow well...humph...I have news for you...these trailers disappear behind you. I wasn't towing anything at all. Granted, I'm way overpowered, but the trailer towed as if it "wasn't there!" I did 70 most of the way home on the 5. Slowed way down on the 46E...lots of officers and double-fine zones out there...narrow and two lanes. I took my time through that stretch.

I was thinking of doing a camping run to Lopez Lake...that's in your backyard. Haven't been there in years...maybe when you get your rig, we could meet there for the maiden on yours? We'll have ours "dialed in" by then and maybe we could help you guys out with yours.

Anyway... The "classifieds" this website has will offer some opportunities occasionally.

Questions:
How far are you willing to travel to buy one?
Are you fixed on the two models you mentioned...or are you flexible?
What are you going to pull it with?
Where are you planning on taking it?
How old are your kids? (My daughter's 4.5)
Who cuts your hair (just kidding on that one.)

PM me later when you get one...maybe we'll meet somewhere close for an "overnighter" to try evrything out. If Lopez doesn't work out, we could do Naciemento or Lake San Antonio. Playgrounds (for the kids) are right next to some nice full hook-up sites at San Antonio...lots of shade trees and easy access, too! Trailer on asphalt "apron", grass for the campsites (picknic tables, BBQs, etc.)

Good luck!

Robert.

ps: We'll bring the wine!
kolarshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:10 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Thanks to everyone for the welcome and advice. Now I know that the 1966 Overlander is 26' and not 27'..(some how that one less foot makes me more comfortable!-being new and all to trailering. Well, it looks like we are going to check out the Overlander in person...we have only admired it via pictures. If this is our Airstream!!!! we will be bringing it home at the end of the month! Yea! I am going to have to search the forum for all the lovely advice we will be needing.
Thanks Again!
Old 07-08-2006, 08:13 PM   #8
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolarshooter
I was thinking of doing a camping run to Lopez Lake...that's in your backyard. Haven't been there in years...maybe when you get your rig, we could meet there for the maiden on yours? We'll have ours "dialed in" by then and maybe we could help you guys out with yours.
If Lopez doesn't work out, we could do Naciemento or Lake San Antonio. Playgrounds (for the kids) are right next to some nice full hook-up sites at San Antonio...lots of shade trees and easy access, too! Trailer on asphalt "apron", grass for the campsites (picknic tables, BBQs, etc.)

Good luck!

Robert.

ps: We'll bring the wine!
Robert,
Check out the thread on the Lake San Antonio Forums Rally this fall. Might be fun if you joined us there. We had the alst fall Rally in Pismo Beach, and it was great fun, and a great success. This year it's Lake San Antonio.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hello,

You might also want to check out the thread on "considerations when buying an Airstream"... quite a few good things to think about if you haven't had a trailer before...

Here is the link: http://www.airforums.com/forum...eam-22920.html

Hope you find the "perfect" one soon!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:13 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
It's Here!

Well, we got our Airstream...1966 Tradewind. YEE HAW We drove it from Oregon and it was so much fun to see all that silver behind us . We have been cleaning and inspecting all the things that need to be done...(more than we thought).
It will be "camping ready" soon as we throw some new foam in it. Looking forward to searching the forums for all the answers...(you all have the answers, right?)
Old 08-22-2006, 07:14 AM   #11

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Congratulations on your new Airstream and welcome to the "cult". You are embarking on a family tradition that your children will cherish for their entire lives.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:29 AM   #12
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Welcome into the fold. You will certainly enjoy the life a vintage Airstreamer. The camping, the new friends, the strangers just stopping by, the labor of love. If you've got questions, this is the place to be.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:25 AM   #13
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Congratulations - you must be just giddy! Sounds great that it's almost ready to use - then you can tackle other projects as you have time. You are never "finished" working on a vintage trailer, but it's a labor of love. Good luck!
Old 08-22-2006, 09:25 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Santa Barbara , California
Congratulations on the new addition to your family!

Hi 4happycampers!

Congratulations on the purchase of your new Airstream and welcome to the addiction! It's so great to have another vintage airstream novice in the neighborhood. The Airstream Forums is such a great place to research all those questions that will arise as you get to know your trailer. SO MUCH information here and everyone is so helpful and knowledgeable.

Post some pictures when you get a chance!

See you 'streamin soon,
Old 08-22-2006, 10:35 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Congratulations on your Airstream purchase There is nothing like an Airstream and you will not be sorry!
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote