Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2010, 08:45 PM   #1

1970 27' Overlander
Hedgesville , West Virginia
New to site and recently bought a 70 27' overlander

Hi my name is Bradley, i live in the eastern panhandle of WV, very near Martinsburg and Interstate 81. a few weeks ago i purchased a 1970 airstream 27' overlander land yacht double bed. it needs some work, and a title, i guess you can say i rescued it from being a scrapper, since thats where it was headed. currently i have tracked down the last title holder and am working on that.. looks promising! also their were alot of leaks due to the neglect of winterizing, several fitting were busted, and the floor in the bathroom area is rotten. i kinda stumbled onto this site while doing research before i bought this camper, needless to say so far it has been more than helpful!! i believe my camper was built late 69 since it still has doors on upper cabinets/storage areas instead of the roll-up style. i currently have removed the toilet, tub, black water tank and the bathroom floor, i plan on re-doing the plumbing and the bathroom, possibly to just install a shower instead of a tub. also put laminate hardwood flooring down after i tear up the really worn carpet. I am having trouble with the refrigerator door also, it seems really weak, when i close it the bottom does not go shut, i plan on tearing it apart this weekend and trying to get to the bottom of it and find out whats a matter. also the previous owners installed a 10 gallon residential style electric water heater, i plan on swapping it out also. i am slowly working on this project as time and $$ allows. i am sure you have all been there... thank you all very much for your wealth of knowledge that you have posted here.

Bradley
bradrob82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome Bradley,

Sounds like you have your work identified and have your plan in motion. It is always good to hear that someone is willing to make the effort to save a rig from the scrap yard.

Best of luck,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:29 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Welcome to the Airforums, Bradley. You'll learn a lot by spending time reading through these posts. Forum people are very friendly and helpful in solving specific issues that you'll have. Good luck, send pix, and stay in touch...

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Welcome to Air Forums Bradley
I hope you enjoy your restoration project, There are many on here that will give you plenty of good advise, and if no one knows the answer it wont take long to find one.
I would also suggest if you can to become an enhanced member, it only costs $20.00.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Bradley,

Good to see you in the forums. If you’re in a situation to post pictures for your future projects that is always good.

Congrads on your find.

Dan
Old 07-02-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Ha ha! We always have to shut our refrigerator door with a foot! And then press it on in. Your the first one I have read about having that problem....they say they are warped in some cases. Ours is just that way and thats fine with me.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
The condensation from cold leaks breeds rust and such - if your gaskets are still there... ...I've found the frig doors will wrack out of true if they've been slammed, jammed, tripped over and all the rest of that... I was able to wedge the bottom edge with my boot and tug at the top to square mine up - start with small force and work up pull strength until its nearly square... and quit!
Old 07-05-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Also don't forget to close the egg storage lid before shutting it.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #10

1970 27' Overlander
Hedgesville , West Virginia
to update you a lil bit, i am currently almost done making a new black water tank box to mount on the frame since my old one is shot. and i will have to put new angle iron in to hold the box and tank up. i have fixed my fridge door since it was somewhat messed up... hopefully it will last a couple camping trips. i have a new water pump that i am working on this weekend to install and going to get to working on new water lines from blue water tank to hopefully new water heater, sink, tub etc. after i get the black tank and floor in.

also my bay breeze ac air compressor is not working, and i have a camping trip coming up at the end of the month (hopefully) so i need to jump on fixing that, i took it to a local rv refrigeration guy and he said the compressor is locked up and by the looks of it, its not worth fixing, being 40 yo. so i am trying to work out a few options to get a new unit... which as you know is not cheap.... by any means.

P.S. I now have a valid WV title and tags on the ole girl!!
bradrob82 is offline   Reply With Quote