Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2006, 07:13 PM   #1

2000 28' Excella
Nevada City , California
New to Forums

Hi:

We have a 28 foot Airstream Excella. We bought it in 2000 and have some questions for other users. On our last trip the sink ( one sink of the pair )coating started to bubble, and then the whole bottom lining/ paint of the sink came loose. Now the metal is showing. Have others had the same problem ? We would like to know, and what did they do about this situation ?

We have been very pleased with our Airstream. It does have some eccentrities- some of the drawer glides have failed. Either the sliders were not long enough, or the stop came loose. We have had ball bearings spilling out on the floor. So, we have put new glides on the drawer under the couch, the drawer under one wardrobe, and have re screwed the slide out pantry. Many of the screws had backed out.

emsteele
emsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Hello, and welcome to the forum.
As for the sink, I assume you have an enameled sink, and to fix a problem like that, all you can do is replace it. You might consider using a double stainless instead of the enameled.
The backing out screws, drawer slides failing, runners being too short, most of that is caused by bumpy roads, lots of towing etc. If you are having plastic hangers reaking at the end of the runners, it is possible to build supports for the runners at the back of the cabinet out of wood. Then put new plastic keepers in abd all will be well.
The ball bearings coming out of the couch is something I've not experienced. Maybe overloaded?
There will be more responses from much more knowledgable than I am.
Good luck.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Wecome...I don't know about the 2000 model but I like the idea of the stainless sink suggested. I would go so far as to suggest a single larger sink that will actually hold a frying pan or pot instead of a double. When we built our house, we insisted on one large single deep sink with one drain/disposal and cantilever edge. There is no better way to do dishes and clean up. Your just can't soak, rinse, and dry in a RV sink unless you only do cups and saucers. Just my experience.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:17 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. I'm sure that you'll find the information that you need here.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
emsteele,

Welcome to the Forums. Please consider joining the upcoming rally at Lake San Antonio in October. Here is a link to the rally page:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...-20;&e=255&c=1

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:10 AM   #6

2000 28' Excella
Nevada City , California
Excella sink problem

Hi,

Thanks so much for the good replys and suggestions. I really like the suggestion of the stainless sink (s), and also the one sink instead of two small sinks.

We have corian counters and wonder how they are affixed. If glued, wonder if it would crack if we tried to remove it. Once it is removed, the sink replacement would probably go well. I really think we would like a stainless steel sink, and a larger one.

I just registered with the forum yesterday, and already feel like I have received excellent advice from fellow Airstream fans.

Any advice on where to find a stainless sink in the Sacramento, CA area?

emsteele
emsteele is offline   Reply With Quote