Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2007, 07:26 PM   #1
PPrincess

1966 20' Globetrotter
Dewey , Arizona
new to forum need help brakes

hello, I just got a 1966 Globetrotter and need some help. Does anyone know if I can still get brake parts? All the parts have been removed by previous owner. The only thing there is the backing plate. Wheel bearing need replacing and I think I found them at Napa but looks like it will cost over $100 for bearings and seals. Does anyone have a better source?
prairieprinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieprinc
hello, I just got a 1966 Globetrotter and need some help. Does anyone know if I can still get brake parts? All the parts have been removed by previous owner. The only thing there is the backing plate. Wheel bearing need replacing and I think I found them at Napa but looks like it will cost over $100 for bearings and seals. Does anyone have a better source?
I'll jump in and I am sure you will get more info to follow.

The setup you have - if original - will be difficult annd costly (more on that later) if you continue to go vintage. Another question is "how is you axle?" because if original, it may need replacing - sooooo, if your buying brake parts for an axle that needs replacing then you are tossing money away. Now - if you are just looking for parts to get it rolling so that you can get it home then there are lots of folks here that have done an axle replacement and my have kept the old parts and may offer them up. Unfortunately, I tossed mine.

There are complete new brake assemblies from the backing plate to the drum with new modern magnets and bearings available. Sorry, I do not know the prices. Do a search here on brakes and there will be plenty of info. The search option is on the blue line above.

BTW, I did my original axle on my '66 Caravel with new bearings and seals for under $30 so $100 is way too much. Timken bearings and National seals from Auto Zone.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
I agree there with clancy boy ,the 100 bucks is high ,by any stretch ,
especially for a single axle .The price for the complete backing plate
one side ,youll of course need two, is around 89 dollars here in SB the prices
can very. You should have 12" brakes .Timkins at auto zone for 30 bucks is a great price ,Timkin bearings are the best as are the national seals ,make sure the seals are double lip type ,much better seal .It will have a spring around
the inner seal area ,thats how you can tell ,and they have a double lip of course. There is alot of info here so search if needed .how about some globetrotter photos if you have some ,we all love pictures .

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:57 PM   #4
PPrincess

1966 20' Globetrotter
Dewey , Arizona
brakes/axel

Thanks for all your great information..my husband agrees that we might be better getting a new axel. This way we can get new brakes, wheel bearings, and torsion suspension. What is a good source for an axel? If I buy an axel can I buy one that will bolt in or do I have to modify one to fit the trailer?
prairieprinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieprinc
Thanks for all your great information..my husband agrees that we might be better getting a new axel. This way we can get new brakes, wheel bearings, and torsion suspension. What is a good source for an axel? If I buy an axel can I buy one that will bolt in or do I have to modify one to fit the trailer?

Dexter or Henschen

Dexters are by far cheaper - but you will have to drill a few holes to mount them. The Henschens are more expensive and for a '66 will also require drilling new holes. ('69 and newer are supposed to be direct bolt-in).
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Try Inland RV at <inlandrv.com> Andy will work with you with it.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote