Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2023, 12:20 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Good comments/advise/experience here to had. We have owned 4 different size AS's over the past 18 years- 3 different 25' AS models and now a 28'AS Twin . After first 25' AS, we decided we wanted to try a 6 year old Casita 17' SD model with a small wet bath for $17K. That was a big change going down to that size with our boxer and the two of us; we felt cramped when camping in foul weather and no real storage. After a year, we sold it in one day for same as we paid and got another 25' 3 year old AS. Had that one 2 years then bought another "new" 25' AS twin model. Had that one 3 years but the wife wanted more storage and better seating arrangements, so we got a new 28'FC Twin, 6 years ago...happy (so far!)

Point is there are so many considerations that affect how you want to travel/camp with a TT. My suggestion to folks is, if you've never owned/camped in a TT before, spend a "lot" of time at a dealer inside the AS you "think" you want; imagine how you would use it, sleep in it, cook in it, change cloths in it, use the bathroom, and also relax in it watching TV or lounging in bad weather. Then consider how often you intend to use it, cost, tow vehicle, storage. All these play into the decision. Suggestion to "rent" one is good, if you can find an AS...but likely any TT will work for an experiment in your use model.

Then, you might consider buying used first, (assuming you can find one at a good price) Typically, used AS's will hold their value if you want to trade up in a year, has been our experience. Good luck!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 12:26 PM   #22

Currently Looking...
Charleston , South Carolina
Another newbie. Need Awning Tool

We just purchased a 2021 Caravel 22FB and absolutely love it! We're looking forward to becoming a 5 rivet member here1

We chose the 22' because it's the largest we can pull with my wife's 2017 Ford Explorer (with tow pkg). I have a 2016 F150 Lariat with tow pkg, and it tracks behind me like a dream.

I have everything except the awning tool, can anyone point me where to get one?

Tail winds,
The Bink
The Bink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 12:43 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Another thing to consider...

Airstreams are measured ball to bumper, IIRC. I don't know the exact dimensions but say the living space of a 16 is 12 or 13 long after accounting for bumper to inner wall and ball to inner wall. The difference between a 16 and a 20 is between 31 and 33% (4/13 and 4/12) more length between the front and rear inner walls, not 25% (4/16). The four extra feet add to living space.

Or something like that.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 12:55 PM   #24
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
Along with all the other things to consider when buying your first Airstream - mechanical vs electronic.

Beginning around 2015 and going forward, it seems the Airstream decided to go heavily electronic.

Electronic shades, steps, awning, dump valves, etc etc.

I won't go into the pros/cons of mechanical vs electronic - others have done that

Just something to consider.

Good luck
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 01:02 PM   #25
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bink View Post
We just purchased a 2021 Caravel 22FB and absolutely love it! We're looking forward to becoming a 5 rivet member here1

We chose the 22' because it's the largest we can pull with my wife's 2017 Ford Explorer (with tow pkg). I have a 2016 F150 Lariat with tow pkg, and it tracks behind me like a dream.

I have everything except the awning tool, can anyone point me where to get one?

Tail winds,
The Bink
This 'awning tool'?

Or this 'awning tool'?

They both come in handy.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41A2B21F-F5BC-450A-A714-61CFD390E43A_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	427516  
Old 01-24-2023, 05:04 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Monterey , California
I really wanted to want the 16. We ended with a 20 and have no regrets.

The 16 caravel and all those windows! I wanted itÖ until I realized none of them open! In the front you have to open the window guard from the outside to open the window. Thatís no fun. I donít know about the back window.

The 19 disappointed me with windows also as I was concerned with cross breeze. Not sure you can get any flow easily in the 19. Second sink is good! But itís outside the BR.

The 20 is perfect for us. If thereís one thing to want, it would be for a rear bed bc we usually back up to a river, the ocean or something like this. But the FB is fine- and itís fun to people watch .

The 22 never appealed as you canít see anything out the back because itís all bathroom.

We could tow a larger airstream, but honestly, I donít know if I would like it as much as the 20

Spend some time in all of them. Rent if you can find one. Itís a fun process! Enjoy!
Lucky Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:26 AM   #27
Aggies in a Cloud

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Iola , Texas
Different POV

A little different perspective here. When I bought my first Harley, the sales guy told me if I bought a Sportster, Iíd be back within a year to upgrade. Of course, I thought he was just trying to upsell me. I was back within 90 days upgrading to a Road King (think upgrading from a Caravel to a Globetrotter). When we bought Eleanor (25í FC RBT), we looked at a 19í caravel and our sale guy said this was the Airstream ďgateway drug.Ē We immediately walked over to the 25 footers. Iíd been down that path. We have considered larger since, but have been able to modify Eleanor to add more usable storage, a coffee/adult beverage bar and lots of cosmetic upgrades. Donít buy too small and regret it after a couple of camping excursions. My two cents.
2019 Tundra
Aggies in a Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:28 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Arivaca , Arizona
I have tried almost every iteration of RV except for the Class A "prairie schooners".
I currently have a new 2023 Basecamp 20x and love it!
Gives me everything I need for wife and me without hauling around all the extra weight
(3500# dry).
Tow it with a 2022 Telluride...18mpg, no sway and don't even know you are towing.
Installed lithium batteries with new upgraded solar system for 2023 and works great!
I have lived off grid for 22 years so have quite a bit of experience with solar.
More room to move around in then the small Airstreams, king bed, easy to heat or cool and there is a reason,besides price, that the 20x is currently the best selling Airstream!
Oldhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:31 AM   #29
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Go and find someplace you can spend some *time* in each of your choices. Looking at things on the internet is fine, but it will never tell you the whole story. You really need to be able to sit here, walk over there, look at this / look at that. An hour isn't enough time. Having a salesman hovering and moving you along will not help the process.

If you are thinking about the 16 to 20-ish foot range, at least *look* at a 23 and maybe a 25. You may not spend the hour in each of them. At least do a 10 minute walk through.

If multiple folks will be involved in using the RV, bring them along for the look see if at all possible. If nothing else, it's very useful to see how everybody can (or can't) maneuver around in the trailer.

Layout wise these trailers don't change a super lot. The layout this year is very similar to the layout last year or four years ago. The internet *is* helpful for pointing out the little differences if you look at one year and go with another year.

New vs used is very much up to you. There are advantages to each. Warranty is a big plus on the new ones. Significantly lower cost is what you should see with a used one. These days you should see something in the 10 to 15% off MSRP on a new one from most dealers. Delivery time on a build to order ..... who knows ....

Do specific color schemes matter? Does this or that cool new feature matter? Only you can work that stuff out. What matters to *you* is the driver here.

The idea is to do your best to buy your "forever RV" on the first pass. Moving up is possible. It's likely to be costly in terms of cash and time. Much better to get it right the first time.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:55 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
South Burlington , Vermont
New to forum, and I'm shopping for my first AS

Welcome in advance to the AS community.

It sounds like you are interested in seeing a lot. That's an important consideration. We have a 22FB Bambi. Maybe, too small to be ideal if you're looking to tow it to FL or TX and park for the winter. But it's absolutely perfect for us because we're ambitious as far as our itinerary. We rarely camp for more than 3 or 4 nights in a spot before moving on because there is so much to see. A smaller, narrower trailer is far more maneuverable and efficient than a bigger one for this type of travel. And on top of all that, except for the rare bad weather, you live outside, not in.

Have fun out there.

Tom
www.rambleon.rocks
TomPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:59 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Roanoke , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi
Go and find someplace you can spend some *time* in each of your choices. .... Having a salesman hovering and moving you along will not help the process.
Bob
Yeah, the "chaperone" approach I experienced at the dealership really put a damper on really learning anything useful. I need to visit another dealership, or at least a different salesperson.
STGMNOBPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:01 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Roanoke , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPiper View Post
It sounds like you are interested in seeing a lot. .... on top of all that, except for the rare bad weather, you live outside, not in.
www.rambleon.rocks
That's what I keep thinking.
STGMNOBPF is offline   Reply With Quote