Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2007, 11:28 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
el centro , California
Talking New Southwestern CA Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm taking delivery of a 2006 Bambi 19' CCD in about a week and I'm finding it difficult to contain my excitement. We chose this particular model based on towing capacity of our 2003 Toyota Tacoma and the absolutely cool CCD design.

We bought it from a dealer in San Diego, CA. and were well taken care of. The sales staff was friendly and knowledgeable and they claim to have an Airstream expert on staff in the service department, so I'm hoping for a smooth PDI.

The only nagging feeling I'm having is that I wonder if I should have gotten a larger CCD model, say a 25' or so. I realize that I would have to trade in my Tacoma for something beefier, but I never even looked into to it. I have read on previous threads about people buying the same model Bambi that I have and then trading it in a short time after. My wife and I plan on traveling at least three months out of the year, so I think we could get by in 19', but those bigger ones obviously provide a higher standard of living. Of course with the larger models I'm sure you give up some degree of mobility and flexibility in places that you can stay, for example if I want to park in front of someone's house or something like that.

Anyway, I’m very pleased to be the owner of an Airstream (despite some of the horror stories I've read) and look forward to any advice on the 19' vs. 25' (or bigger) or any other pearls of wisdom.

thanks!
rambn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Welcome!

Don't pay any attention to horror stories, they are the exception rather than the rule. Yes there are quality control issues at times, you may be fine.
Just go enjoy the trailer and see how the size works for you without preconceived ideas. There are a LOT of people here who love that size.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambn
Hi Everyone,

[COLOR=black]Anyway, I’m very pleased to be the owner of an Airstream (despite some of the horror stories I've read) and look forward to any advice on the 19' vs. 25' (or bigger) or any other pearls of wisdom.

thanks!
Pick that baby up and enjoy every minute of your travels. Every owner has different needs and you won't know for sure until you have been out on the road. Don't second guess yourself. You have chosen a very popular model and if you do decide to go bigger, the 19' CCD won't be hard to trade or sell. Unless money is not a consideration, having to get the bigger tow vehicle really pushes up your investment in Airstreaming. Enjoy now, you will have plenty of time to move to a larger AS if more space is needed or desired.

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Why the stress? Well actually I know why having been there and done that.

The deal is done and you are getting a very popular trailer. They are popular for a reason so go out and enjoy.

Join us on some Forum Rallies and you'll learn everything there is about your trailer and have fun too.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:49 PM   #5
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Hi rambn,
First, huge congratulations on your Bambi -- the CCD is very cool, and the size is quite nice!

Quote:
We bought it from a dealer in San Diego, CA. and were well taken care of. The sales staff was friendly and knowledgeable and they claim to have an Airstream expert on staff in the service department, so I'm hoping for a smooth PDI.
"Claim", indeed. My only suggestion here is get to know the folks at Southwest Coaches in Irvine or Inland RV for service. Seriously.

We're just beginning our first vacationing season with our own new trailer, looking out for quiet spots in the San Diego region. Maybe we'll get lucky and see you around.

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
southwestern , Michigan
congratulations on your new airstream. personally i think it is better to decide you want larger later than to start out with one that you find too big! just my personal opinion, though. we have a motorhome, but are looking for a trailer also. is should be no surprise that my choice would be one of the smaller ones. anyway, welcome to the forums friend!
airstreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:41 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
el centro , California
Thanks everyone for your comments. This certainly is a welcoming forum.

Anyway, I may be stressing a little too much about it, yes. Although I went to the Toyota dealership today and the mechanic there told me that in his (supposedly informed) opinion the Tacoma would not be up to the task. Not so much purely a weight issue, but a problem braking. The RV dealership said that the towing package includes braking capability for the trailer. But now I'm getting into towing issues, which may be better suited to that forum.

I think the only way to know is to take it out, and that's exactly what I intend to do. I suppose part of me just wants a new vehicle, but the 03 Tacoma TRD is a cool little ride and I hope that it will suffice.

Thanks again!
Old 04-02-2007, 09:23 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I'm taking delivery of a 2006 Bambi 19' CCD in about a week and I'm finding it difficult to contain my excitement. We chose this particular model based on towing capacity of our 2003 Toyota Tacoma and the absolutely cool CCD design.

The only nagging feeling I'm having is that I wonder if I should have gotten a larger CCD model, say a 25' or so. I realize that I would have to trade in my Tacoma for something beefier, but I never even looked into to it. I have read on previous threads about people buying the same model Bambi that I have and then trading it in a short time after. My wife and I plan on traveling at least three months out of the year, so I think we could get by in 19', but those bigger ones obviously provide a higher standard of living. Of course with the larger models I'm sure you give up some degree of mobility and flexibility in places that you can stay, for example if I want to park in front of someone's house or something like that.

Anyway, I’m very pleased to be the owner of an Airstream (despite some of the horror stories I've read) and look forward to any advice on the 19' vs. 25' (or bigger) or any other pearls of wisdom.

thanks!
Has anybody ever traded to a smaller size from a larger? It seems once you get used to the size you always need more room, either to move around or for storage.

Our 27 FB is perfect for us but I could see getting a larger unit at some time.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:00 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' International CCD
Hacienda Heights , California
Thumbs up Bambi 16 Ft CCD

First Congratulations on your new Baby. One word of advise, is right down what ever questions you think you may want to ask know. Because I can guarantee that with all the excitement when you pick up your Airstream you won't remember what you wanted to ask.
In regards to the size, it really depends on how and where you plan to use it. We have a 16ft Bambi CCD 2007, and totally love the fact that we can take it anywhere and park it everywhere. We tow it with a Silver Toyota FJ Cruiser and they look super cute together.
Anyway you go, you are going to totally love your Bambi, and welcome to the forum
Angie & George
atomasich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:24 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
el centro , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomasich
First Congratulations on your new Baby. One word of advise, is right down what ever questions you think you may want to ask know. Because I can guarantee that with all the excitement when you pick up your Airstream you won't remember what you wanted to ask.
In regards to the size, it really depends on how and where you plan to use it. We have a 16ft Bambi CCD 2007, and totally love the fact that we can take it anywhere and park it everywhere. We tow it with a Silver Toyota FJ Cruiser and they look super cute together.
Anyway you go, you are going to totally love your Bambi, and welcome to the forum
Angie & George
Wow, can I say again, that I love this forum? Anyway, I think that I'll enjoy the 19's ability to park it virtually anywhere (within reason, of course). That's really what I think means most to us at this point (yes, including parking outside of the mother-in-law's place).

The good news is that I just went to the Toyota dealership and traded in my '03 Taco for a '07 V8 5.7 Tundra with a tow package. We'll be able to haul everything we need, and have room for our two 60' dogs in the back.

I spoke to the service manager at the RV dealership, and he has been quite attentive. We bought a 23" Samsung widescreen TV on amazon.com and had it shipped overnight to their garage (or whatever you call it). He said that he might even have it done by Thursday night. So we could be on the road very soon!