Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2015, 08:59 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Myers , Florida
New (possible) Airstreamers

Hi Folks,
Just a quick hello! My wife and I sold our National Seabreeze last Summer, bought a GMC pickup, and have been poking around lots in Southwest Florida looking for a travel trailer. Sadly (only for our bank account) we've slowly come to realize that Airstream is where it's at for us. Nothing else comes close. Just wanted to say thanks for all the info while we've lurked here and a general "Hi!"
TandCPlusRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:16 AM   #2
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Hello to you too and welcome to the forum.

I've come to the same conclusion regarding an AS. I haven't bought one yet (currently escaping the cold and snow in PA here in FL) and most likely will do so when we are back home. The fine folks on this forum have been an immeasurable source of information!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:39 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us, You've found the right place for all things Airstream. When you have questions, we're here to help.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Welcome, don't wait - do it. If you order a new one they are way out on deliveries, 2014 was the biggest sale year in AS history and 2015 looks to be just as big.

Good Luck

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Welcome aboard.

Airstreams aren't perfect. There are a few other great trailers out there. But, if you like me just want one... well have a reasonable PLAN and then DO IT.

I try not to be judgmental, but it gets me upset to see people who "can't afford" health insurance for their kids, but spend $50 per week at Starbucks, and have $8,000 worth of designer shoes and purses. It ticks me off to have neighbors who "collect" stuff to the point that they are actually hoarders.

But if you generally have all of your ducks in a row financially (which if you know you "can't afford" an Airstream, you probably do), then...

... then I have contrary advice.
You get one LIFE. This one is NOT a dress rehearsal.
It will be over sooner than you know, and what happens afterwards is really unprovable. So just in case this really IS it - get and enjoy something that will make your family happy.

You don't have to buy a brand new one, or spend $40K on restoring an old one, there is a big happy medium of 2 to 5 year old ones, with many available because the owner is moving on up to a larger one. Before you buy see as many in real life as possible (the reality is so much different from the floor plans and the photos that it's amazing), take your time, don't grab the first one you see... and go for it.

I don't LIKE owing money, but rates are still pretty low, and if you get a used one from a dealer you can get 4% easily. If you use it every weekend and as a guest house (or to hide from the kids for an hour)... then justify every great memory at $10K... you're Airstream is going to have a lot faster return on investment than a shrink, a marriage counselor or a child psychologist! A happy childhood is a great bulwark against life's ups and downs ... and I'm in my second childhood proving that!

It's a guilty little pleasure! And one that isn't illegal, immoral, or fattening!

Paula
Old 02-18-2015, 01:59 PM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome to the site.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:33 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Akron , Ohio
The Airstream isn't fattening but the S'mores around the campfire are DANGEROUS!
prudencepb is offline   Reply With Quote