Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2015, 09:39 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
Bellvue , Colorado
New owners of '79 Argosy! Thanks for this amazing resource!

Hello everyone!

We're the proud owners of a "new" Argosy 27! We're doing a full shell-off renovation and having a blast!

I just wanted to say "thank you" to all you amazing forum members for the invaluable resource you're created. It has been unbelievably helpful as we undertake this exciting adventure! Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Every question I've had so far has already been answered – it's amazing!

Cheers,
Bryan

-----

Here's a little back story, just for fun for those who like to read...

We've been looking into alternative styles of living for a while. I'm a software engineer working remotely, so we'd been considering something out of the ordinary.

My wife stumbled upon renovated Airstreams during our search and within 2 days we bought a gutted '79 Argosy 27 and we're in love with it!

We found it on Craigslist for $500. The floor is rotted, there's a big (but not too bad) dent in the rear curb-side corner and a busted front curb-side panoramic window.

The PO had 40 calls on it within 12 hours, so I offered him $800 and he took it. He had to call a guy that was already on it his way and tell him he sold it.

The crazy part is, we broke every Craigslist rule and sent him the money via Paypal without ever having seen it in person, to I guy I'd never met, 800 miles away in the middle of nowhere in Rodeo, New Mexico.

We weren't even going to be able to pick it up for another two weeks, so he stored it in at his friend's empty lot, locked the hitch and put the key in the bumper.

But don't worry, I've got the Argosy in hand, title and all. It all worked out.

It was one of those things where you just know it's right. Divine providence, we're convinced.

It was barely towable, so we brought it to Tucson to make it roadworthy plus a few other things that we could do while here.

Now we're headed back to Colorado to dig in and make this thing happen.

If that's not crazy enough, we're planning on making this an boondocking, full-timing beauty.

Did I mention we're doing this with 3 kids?

We both grew up camping and I'm somewhat of a prepper. We tried full-timing before with our 3 kids by buying a '34 monster with 3 pop-outs. Thing is, those things aren't made for full timing.

But we learned a lot...

This time, we've got the tools, patience and resolve to pull this thing off. Thanks to all of you, we know where to get the knowledge, too!

Here goes nothin'
five4freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

I'm glad you got your trailer home and have a positive Craigslist experience to share. Good luck with the renovation!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:46 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
Bellvue , Colorado
Thanks, Belegedhel!
Old 08-06-2015, 02:25 PM   #4

1974 Argosy 28
Atlanta , Georgia
Wow that's a great price you got for that!!

We too have a vintage Argosy we're renovating (in ATL, GA area) and soon-to-have 3 kiddos (due any day now with #3). Hoping to make our '74 Argosy usable sometime this fall. Electric works fine and we've already gutted it and started the process of stripping the old paint on the outside, but that's as far as we've gotten.

Looking forward to seeing your updates!
Liana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:53 AM   #5
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Welcome, have fun. Consider joining WBCCI, too.

www.wbcci.org

Tom
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:42 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
Bellvue , Colorado
Thanks, tvketchum – I'll look into it!

Liana, I look forward to your updates as well! It's exciting to see hear of other people in similar situations as us.

We're hoping for a ready-date around February.

We removed all interior panels, insulation and wiring and I'm glad we did. It had been sitting outside as a storage container for many years, so the walls were used as a nice mice, rat and bird condo.

The insulation was pretty nasty, and many areas of the wiring had exposed copper due to some nibbling.

We haven't started stripping the paint yet, but that'll be soon.