Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
New Owner in Albuquerque

We just purchased a tired 1963 Safari. I have a bill-of-sale, but no title. Will begin the titling process this week. She is a bit tired, not having been moved in over twelve years. The previous owners are good friends of ours that had been using it as a little office at their automobile shop in Tucson.

Replaced the tires, greased the bearings and removed a home AC unit from the rear window opening. There was a packrat nest in the aft section. We brought it to Albuquerque on Father's day with a bit of trouble from windows, bottom skin, forward air vent and the AC cover.

I am absolutely amazed at the tremendous amount of data available here. I look forward to moving this project forward. First, the aft belly skin must come off to remove the packrat nest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	63 Airstream Safari.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	133162  
knightmccabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1969 31' Sovereign
Cedar City , Utah
welcome (i`m new too )

looks like you got yourself a project for father`s day

oh yes, towing a trailer that has not been moved for some time can be very entertaining ... i recovered a 64 Streamline that was parked for years next to a bunch of orange tree`s
... a packrat filled the complete underbelly with oranges... and i spread them all over the freeway when the pan ruptured over a bump
Got Briards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
An annual event that you may be interested in attending is the restoration rally held in ABQ.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I expect to be stopping in Albuquerque at Enchanted Trails in 4-5 days on my return trip to Texas from Washington, with a '56 Sovereign of the Road in tow. If you want to meet up for food or to compare notes, I'd be happy to see you. The same goes for anyone else in the ABQ area.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Briards View Post
welcome (i`m new too )

looks like you got yourself a project for father`s day

oh yes, towing a trailer that has not been moved for some time can be very entertaining ... i recovered a 64 Streamline that was parked for years next to a bunch of orange tree`s
... a packrat filled the complete underbelly with oranges... and i spread them all over the freeway when the pan ruptured over a bump

lol - we left a trail of corn cobs, kitty crunchies and mesquite beans (or rat droppings - hard to tell apart)

I dropped the belly skins today and removed about thirty pounds of material. -jm
Old 06-25-2011, 07:51 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25 View Post
An annual event that you may be interested in attending is the restoration rally held in ABQ.
Looks like I just missed this event by a couple weeks. I'll certainly be there next year.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Fleet Numbers?

I've searched here and am probably searching for the wrong thing. I see a lot of Airstreams have a series of black numbers on the back above the rear window. What is the significance of this number? The number on ours is '68'.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
As you probably already know, use care cleaning up rodent droppings and urine because of possible exposure to the Hantavirus, which is common in the desert southwest. See this link for more information: Hantavirus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:41 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Leadville(for now) , Colorado
Dirty....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
As you probably already know, use care cleaning up rodent droppings and urine because of possible exposure to the Hantavirus, which is common in the desert southwest. See this link for more information: Hantavirus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's Nice...

Did My part in cleaning out 'old' pack rat leftover habitat in the underbelly of My Vintage Kin....

Should I see a Doc now?? 3+ weeks later
Old 06-26-2011, 04:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I am not a healthcare expert. However, the link below suggests that one should "Call your health care provider if you develop flu-like symptoms after you come in contact with rodent droppings or rodent urine, or dust that is contaminated with these substances".

Hantavirus - PubMed Health
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I have arrived in ABQ. Do I have lunch or dinner plans or should I drive through?
Old 06-27-2011, 12:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I think, only deer mice carry Hanta virus. I cleaned out a 30 footer that had rat midden knee deep and I'm still here. The worse part was the choya needles that the packrats loved. For packrat a simple dust mask should suffice.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
That's nice, but the trailer I am towing came from Washington, which is where deer mice are a particular problem!

I'm sure my nose is starting to schniffle as I type!
Old 06-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Thanks to all

Thank you all for your sage advice. I was very careful with dust-mask, eye protection, gloves, etc. (I looked like I was going to the moon) The trailer smells so much better. Before we cleaned, the stench during the heat of the day was oppressive!

The belly is now clean and dry. Will ensure trailer end of tow vehicle wire harness is intact (rodents love wire insulation) before I button-up the belly skin again.