Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2006, 11:44 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Northridge , California
Cool New owner

Hello, my name is Jack. My wife and I live in Southern California and have just purchased a new 2005 28' CCD. We will pick up later this month. Prior to making the purchase I reviewed many of the postings on this forum and appreciate the information I was able to get.
This is our first RV. I am retired.
I have several questions and would appreciate any help members can offer.

Insurance: Recommendations of companies to contact and what I should be asking them.

Extended warranty: Is the 5 extra years of warranty worth $1795.00 and do you recommend it?

Generator: The Honda and Yamaha enclosed inverter technology generators. Are they worth the cost? What size is recommended
recommendations

Thank you for any information.

I look forward to a more active participation in the forum once we have had some experience in this new adventure.
Jack
JackRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:26 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Welcome aboard! You will have many happy adventures with your new coach. As far as the generators go, everbody who uses them loves them and I have not seen ONE SINGLE COMPLAINT here about them, which says alot given how demanding this group can be. Im going to get one in the next month or so and have the propane upgrade, you might want to look at that if you havent aleady. Happy trails!

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 02:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Re: extended warranty, my dealer kept coming down in price when I kept saying "too much". They kept lowering the price til I said yes. Try it, you could proally get your price down.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:17 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Lock that baby up...

Congragulations on your new purchase!
Now, back that baby up against a wall and park something really heavy in front of it....
Seriously though; invest in a tongue lock, wheel locks of some type and keep it securely stored!
Jim Jarzabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:26 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Northridge , California
Thanks to all for your wishes and information
Jack
JackRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRV
Generator: The Honda and Yamaha enclosed inverter technology generators. Are they worth the cost? What size is recommended
recommendations? Jack
I've looked at two Honda EU2000i's vs. the Yamaha 30SEBi and I have decided on the Yamaha. While each Honda weighs about 51-56 lbs. making it handy to move around, you must also purchase a parallel kit that runs around $249 and hook them up. The idea is appealing because you can run one Honda for everything except AC then crank the other one up to run the AC. The Yamaha weighs 151 lbs. and I can run it up light weight aluminum ramps into the bed of my truck. It is a 3000 watt unit which can boost up to 3500 watts with the onboard battery. That should handle my DuoTherm AC and any other electrical devices which should start while the AC is running.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Jack,

Congratulations on your new Airstream. You have chosen a really great trailer. We love ours and have had a great time using it. About 36 nights spent in it from April thru October of last year.

Extended warranty: Why buy it now? You can buy it anytime up until the 2 year factory warranty expires. Other questions to get answered....what does the extended warranty really cover? Is it something you will really use? ( I have not purchased on yet )

Generators: I haven't bought one yet, spent our first year of camping at parks with electric. Check out the new Yamaha EF 2400IS, it has about 400 watts more power than the 2000 Honda, and reports say that it will run a 13,500 AC unit, and it weighs in at 65 pounds and it can also be paralled. http://www.steadypower.com/catalog/yamaha_EF2400is.php

PS. Hook that trailer up to a Duramax powered pickup and you can be my left coast twin!
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:57 AM   #8
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Hi Jack.

Welcome to the world of Airstream. As you can see by my profile, I live down the road from you in Lakewood. In 2005 I purchased a 2005 AS 25' Safari LS
Love it!
I checked all around for insurance, including my own auto company which does not provide insurance for RV's. After searching and asking around I ended up with American Modern Insurance Company.

I have full coverage and total replacement cost for under $300 for the year.
I went through AIS Insurance in Bellevue WA.

Here's their #: 800 521-2942

It don't hurt to ask. Nice people too! )

Anyway,
If you want to PM me go ahead.

Take care and enjoy your new toy

R/
Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:16 PM   #9

1958 22' Flying Cloud
san francisco , California
Hello, am a new airstream owner, I bought a '58 Flying Cloud on eBay on a whim.Its pretty awful inside, outside is ding-less and in great shape, and I've been interviewing people to work on interior.Does anyone know where to get interior spec/dimensions, floor plans for a '58 Flying Cloud?I live in San Francisco, there's no dealer nearby & I can't find on internet.Can't wait to get going on my new toy!Thanks, Sarah
sarah morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah morse
Hello, am a new airstream owner, I bought a '58 Flying Cloud on eBay on a whim.Its pretty awful inside, outside is ding-less and in great shape, and I've been interviewing people to work on interior.Does anyone know where to get interior spec/dimensions, floor plans for a '58 Flying Cloud?I live in San Francisco, there's no dealer nearby & I can't find on internet.Can't wait to get going on my new toy!Thanks, Sarah
Sarah,

There are some brochures on the Vintage Airstream Club website, not certain about your trailer, www.airstream.net and RJ Dial's site has many pictures inside and out www.vintageairstream.com

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Just so you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRV
Thanks to all for your wishes and information
Jack
Jack,
CONGRATS on your new unit~!
I have to agree with the previous comments about extended warranties..
Having worked previously in a RV dealership, I can tell you that they considered it "found money" if you buy into the extended warrantey plan.
Not for the salesman, but for the F&I guy who closes the paper work deal with you..
From my own personal experiences..You'll most likely will get many,many years before anything needs replacing . In fact, to be honest, most new buyer will move up to another Airstream size or style within 5 yrs..Not all but, the statistics states that the average buyer will make this change.
Keep your money and, invest it in a good generator that you want.
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote