Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2021, 01:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Seaford , New York
New, New & New

Hi everyone - new members here. We just ordered our first Airstream - a 27' Globetrotter FBT. This is not only our first Airstream, it's our first RV of any kind. My wife and I have only recently started camping and decided to move up to an RV after back to back swelteringly hot and rainy camping trips this summer.* Other family members have a 29' Class A and after staying on it for a weekend we found it was really not our style. I have always liked the look of an Airstream and a few weeks ago we were lucky enough to find a campground that rented them fully set up. We knew instantly there was no going back.

After some furious research and a few visits to our area dealer, we decided on the 27' GT as we wanted to jump right in with our "forever" rig. We are very excited but we'll have to have a lot of patience as our dealer had no more 2022 allocations. We'll be in the first run of 2023 builds with an agonizing delivery date in August of 2022. Well, that will at least give us time to decide on and order an appropriate tow vehicle. As much as we would love to use our Durango R/T which can tow 8,700 pounds, it only has a 1200 pound payload which is not nearly enough for this rig. We are leaning towards a Ford F250 right now but still open to other options.

I have been doing some reading on the forum and already learned a lot from the community*here. It has really helped us with knowing what questions to ask - especially when it comes to selecting a proper tow vehicle. We're looking forward to sharing our experiences*as we start this journey and hopefully be active contributors as well.

-Mike V.
Mad_Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 02:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Mike, welcome to the forum. You are indeed starting at the top. You are going to love the 27 FB and yes, you will have lots of questions. That is the beauty of this group. Lots of experieince, ideas and information.
That said, you will get overloaded quickly. Your request for ideas regarding a tow vehicle will be a great example. You will hear it all. Before you start getting all confused I suggest you think about HOW you are going to be using the trailer. Are you going to full time in it? Will you be using it on short trips mainly? What kind of long trips are you thinking about? Also, will you be using your tow vehicle as a daily driver sort of thing? Of course there are many more issues to address. I hope you end up with what you not only want but what you actually need at the same time.

Best wishes with your hunt.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 05:53 PM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Welcome welcome! That’s an amazing trailer and you’ll love the floorplan.

3/4 or 1 ton from any of the big 3 will be a great match especially if you are new to towing.

Enjoy!
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Well, you folks jumped in the deep end, and you are gong to love it. Your Airstream will keep you cool on a hot night, and dry on a rainy night, and then you can head out on your hike or bike ride or sightseeing the next day.

The Globetrotter is an old Airstream model name. It has been around since the late 1950s off and on. My son has a 1969 Globetrotter 21' which we renovated this last winter. See photo below. But it certainly isn't as well built as your new trailer will be, and certainly isn't as nice inside. But he likes it. Airstream trailers last a very long time.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2105 Out Street-800x600.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	406997  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Welcome and congrats.
Old 10-25-2021, 07:22 PM   #6
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Congrats Mike. We love our 27' GT and I'm sure you will as well. Just curious which colors you choose?

TV's are a hot topic. I can tell you what our experience has been. We originally towed our GT with a 1500 RAM 5.7 Hemi. It did the job but was very light in the payload department. I now have a 2500 RAM with a Cummins diesel. It does the job much better. And I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3/4 ton trucks from the big three.

Best wishes!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:11 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Seaford , New York
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

We will be using the trailer for short trips to start learning the ropes - towing, equipment use and of course BACKING UP! We will keep the trips in and around the NE area for the first season but plan to venture to venture out more and more as we build experience and confidence. I would also like to try getting off grid and do some boondocking / dry camping as I think getting out in the "wild" is really where my heart is.

I have about 5 years left before I can (hopefully) retire early and enjoy life a bit more. Once that happens longer trips are very much the plan so picking a TV that can handle hills, weather, etc is the plan. I was all set to order a new F250 but the dealer informed me that due to the weight it would have to be registered and plated as a commercial vehicle (NY). As it would still need to be a daily driver for me and the fact that Long Island is dominated by traffic and parkways (non-commercial), I am hesitating pulling the trigger on the truck just yet. There are workarounds I can do like installing a camper back but that's not something I am really interested in doing right now. I do not want to undersize my TV, but it does have to be a little more practical for daily use.

First world problems eh?

Mike
Mad_Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:34 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Hillsdale , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Max View Post
I was all set to order a new F250 but the dealer informed me that due to the weight it would have to be registered and plated as a commercial vehicle (NY).
I would double check this with the NYS DMV...I live in New York and I do not think this is true.

SPP
SlowPokePete is offline   Reply With Quote