Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2008, 11:40 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Everyone let's take a step back for a moment. Please do not send any more derogitory emails to Mr. Keller. I have received a long email from him and need to runravel the situation (tomorrow).

This appears to be a case of a project getting out of hand. As they started into restoring the trailer the floor rot and other damage began to mount beyond what the grant funds would allow to be repaired. They were not prepared for the extensive floor replacement and other fixes that this trailer requires.

As panic set in, there was an urgen need to "dispose" of the interior contents that were clogging up the yard due to "complaints" - thus the quick ad on Craigslist. As it sits the interior is out but still all there - carefully removed, but much of it in need of restoration or rebuilding itself as it too was falling apart whenit was removed.

Mr. Keller is open to offers to sell or exchange this trailer for another Airstream that does not have the history. He is looking to get most of what he has invested in it out of it. I am not certain what price that will entail at this point, but we need to see if there is real interest in saving the trailer. Had it not been moved from Ohio to California, I might be interested, but at this time California is too far away for me. This will not be a project for the fient of heart. If there are other serious takers, please speak up.

Thank you.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:08 AM   #42
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
If someone buys it i can go get it and store it safely until they pick it up. Im only 45 minutes from him.

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:26 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
QUICK UPDATE:
Between our schedules Mr. Keller and I have not been able to talk, but we have exchanged a few emails.

Now that he understands the work involved with replacing at least sections of the floor, he is leaning toward selling 8671 and instead getting another gutted vintage Airstream, probably in the 19-24 foot length to complete his project. Preference would be for that gutted Airstream to already have had the floor replaced or to not need a floor replacement.

If anyone had indoor storage that could hold the interior contents for a while, Rob is willing to move the interior there to keep it out of the elements while a deal is worked out.

Mr. Keller is on a tight schedule to get his project back on it's original time line, so he would like to work out a deal in the next week or so. If no deal materializes, he will have to continue with 8671 with a custom interior. He actually would prefer not to do so and see 8671 restored to it's original layout and preserved that way.

The one issue I am not sure of is price. Mr. Keller will expect to get some amount of cash in addition to a gutted Airstream in return for 8671. The easiest deal would be with a single person: 8671 for gutted vintage Airstream + cash. But if it could be pulled together quickly, a three way deal could work where one person supplies the gutted Airstream and another end up with 8671.

So if you have interest in rescuing this historic trailer, please step up quickly. I suggest you contact Mr. Keller by email, or email or IM me and I can provide his email and/or phone number.

If you have a gutted trailer to offer, or want to buy 8671, or even just have temporary indoor strage for the parts, please speak up. In light of not yet having an asking price, just make a proposal and we'll see where that goes. Thanks.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 11-02-2008, 09:23 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Joe, sent you an email, it is something we'd at least entertain with our 66 Overlander which has all rear plywood replaced and is about 2/3s rewired with all new copper and fiberglass insulation, and reassembled with interior sheet metal and end caps going back up. If it meant saving a more historically significant airstream we wouldn't be opposed to figuring out a trade of some kind. Not sure if 26 is too big for his project (although only 4' longer than his current project). The geographic challenge of California to Washington State might be difficult for us, since long distance travel just isn't in the cards for us right now (both teachers with a 2 year old as well).

we could certainly trade a trailer that is a blank clean slate on the inside, interior sheet metal in place or still out (depending on what he wants) with or without the bathroom fixtures and misc woodwork we saved as templates.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:22 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
Joe, sent you an email, it is something we'd at least entertain with our 66 Overlander which has all rear plywood replaced and is about 2/3s rewired with all new copper and fiberglass insulation, and reassembled with interior sheet metal and end caps going back up. If it meant saving a more historically significant airstream we wouldn't be opposed to figuring out a trade of some kind. Not sure if 26 is too big for his project (although only 4' longer than his current project). The geographic challenge of California to Washington State might be difficult for us, since long distance travel just isn't in the cards for us right now (both teachers with a 2 year old as well).

we could certainly trade a trailer that is a blank clean slate on the inside, interior sheet metal in place or still out (depending on what he wants) with or without the bathroom fixtures and misc woodwork we saved as templates.
Thank you for your kind offer. Other than length and location it sounds about perfect for Mr. Keller's project. I have forwarded your email to Mr. Keller to see if he is interested.

To everyone else, please don't let one offer stop you from stepping up if you are interested in purchasing 8671 (a 1963 22' Safari), selling a gutted vintage Airstream, or just storing some parts for a while. Together, we can save this trailer and write another interesting chapter in it's history.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 11-03-2008, 08:47 AM   #46
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Just as a reminder.. Im not far from this location and could store this trailer in my backyard for someone to pick up at a later time. I dont really have a special place for all the contents unless they could be carefully placed back in the trailer.

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:26 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Perhaps there are forum members who could set up a relay to transport this coach as a labor of love?
Old 11-03-2008, 05:09 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
After talking with my wife about it, we could meet half way (about 5-6 hours). Maybe someone down that way could help in the exchange if Mr. Keller isn't able to. Probably could be done by the end of the month. Joe and Mr. Keller I've forwarded 8 photos, interior and exterior as a starting point, let me know what else if anything you need (if there is interest in it even).

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2008, 06:48 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Thanks to all who have spoken up so far regarding gutted vintage Airstreams they may have to trade . . . and . . offers for temporary storage . . . and . . . even the relay idea. These may yet work out. I know Mr. Keller has recieved at least 3 different inquiries, but so far no deal has been made, because they were mostly for even up trades of a gutted Airstream for 8671 and Mr. Keller is going to require some amount of cash along with a gutted Airstream in trade from 8671. At lease one of these offers is still in the discussion phase. I think it's possible for a deal to be made either with one of the existing offers or with a new one yet to be found, but can't tell you exactly how many dollars it would take. If you have any interest, please make an offer and then negotiations can begin, if necessary.

We've got maybe a week left before this project will go back into gear with floor replacement and a custom interior to follow. At that point it will be too late for a deal and 8671 will be back on it's course to a new life as mobile HoneyBee educational observatory.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 11-04-2008, 05:55 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Thanks to help from Joe I was in contact with Rob today, was a very positive experience. Nothing is remotely decided but its possible that we may be able to get something worked out (again if someone has something better jump in). We're hoping it will work out, and am getting things situated so that it will be ready to swap (road ready for a 12 hour trip etc). I'll keep you posted as others have too.

(fingers crossed)
Old 11-04-2008, 07:40 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
Thanks to help from Joe I was in contact with Rob today, was a very positive experience. Nothing is remotely decided but its possible that we may be able to get something worked out (again if someone has something better jump in). We're hoping it will work out, and am getting things situated so that it will be ready to swap (road ready for a 12 hour trip etc). I'll keep you posted as others have too.

(fingers crossed)
Scott,
From your email, your '66 Overlander sounds well suited to Rob's purpose, having already had the floor and wiring replaced, being gutted and a little larger inside, plus your offer to button things up nicely for him. I hope it works out well for both Rob and you. Good Luck!
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 11-08-2008, 09:08 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
A deal has been made! The saga of 8671 continues in a new thread here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f150...1-a-46195.html
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 11-08-2008, 09:37 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
So Happy to hear the news of #8671. More logical minds have prevailed.
Oh yeah, if I said something back there somewhere about a bunch of bees and somebodies bottom, Please disregard that message.
silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote