Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2008, 09:20 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
I wish I had the money to offer Rob to buy it. Enough of the green stuff usually talks, and would have him looking for another unit. Anyone out there have any $$$ left (considering the current state of banking. stocks and bonds!)!!!
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I just PMed him to check out these possible outs for him.
Wayne&Sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:39 AM   #23
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The reply I received makes me believe that the trailer owner knew it's fate when it was purchased.

Quote:
Thank you for your message and for your concern about the vintage Airstream trailer.

I am afraid that the grant was awarded two years ago and it is not in my power to take the money back. I will communicate with Mr. Keller about your concerns. I know he intends to create an educational exhibit that will be a public service.

Best regards,
Frances Phillips

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:11 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
My gut tells me Rob does not totally understand the impact of his remodeling efforts. I have reread his post, and am hopeful someone out there can help him find an alternative for appreciating the exterior and interior kept as one original unit.

hello:
my name is rob and i have recently purchased one of the 47 airstreams that wally took on the world tour in 63/64. are there any other members who might have world tour trailers i could talk with? i have a little knowledge about the trip but where would one find out more about this special trailer?
very excited to be an airstreamer,
rob
Old 10-28-2008, 10:26 AM   #25

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think unless someone wants to buy his trailer and offer him another one for his project, there's not much point in berating him. As another pointed out above, he doesn't read this forum, and hasn't been back since his single post. If someone does have the money to rescue it, then answer his CL ad, buy the interior and shell, and put it back together. If you don't have the money, then just let it go.

As someone who saw their usable vintage Bambi abused by it's subsequent owners and then gutted and turned into a mobile radio station, I understand the loss of a vintage trailer - especially one with a history, who wouldn't want to own and care for that! But really it's his trailer to do with as he pleases, unless you've got a better offer for him.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #26
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The way government grants usually work, is the grant was awarded to refit that particukar serial number only, and he would get into massive trouble if he sold the trailer, even though he got a replacement.
It was the luck of the draw that he wound up with that particular trailer the way he did.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Stef,

The situation on THIS trailer is different. We did a story in the Vintage Advantage newsletter and several people worked with Rob to get him information about this historic trailer and were given assurances that the trailer's integrity and history would be respected and preserved. This trailer actually has more documented history behind it than practically any other trailer out there.
Rob was offered on more than one occasion to sell the trailer so that its history could be preserved. He refused that offer because he wanted that piece of history.
Now, after a few years of use, this trailer is destined for the scrap heap.
Perhaps that is not a big deal to you but to others who have been involved in this since it first hit eBay, or those who were touched by the story in the VA, it is a sad situation.
You can't just let that go...

Terry, I don't think it was a government grant and I do believe the grant was given to him prior to the purchase of the trailer. I suspect that he did not have to do much in the way of documenting which trailer he purchased.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:37 AM   #28
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Is there a physical address for him? I could be there in 45 minutes.. would love to atleast see it and get pictures..

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:41 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
You may want to check his web site. I do not know of a physical address being as I only communicated by email and phone with him.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 10-28-2008, 01:18 PM   #30

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
Stef,

The situation on THIS trailer is different. We did a story in the Vintage Advantage newsletter and several people worked with Rob to get him information about this historic trailer and were given assurances that the trailer's integrity and history would be respected and preserved. This trailer actually has more documented history behind it than practically any other trailer out there.
Rob was offered on more than one occasion to sell the trailer so that its history could be preserved. He refused that offer because he wanted that piece of history.
Now, after a few years of use, this trailer is destined for the scrap heap.
Perhaps that is not a big deal to you but to others who have been involved in this since it first hit eBay, or those who were touched by the story in the VA, it is a sad situation.
You can't just let that go...

Still, it's his personal property to do with as he pleases, including ruining it. No matter what he said previously or how much $$ he turned down in the past for it. It's a shame, because I see gutted projects all the time, there are certainly better trailers to use if you just want a shell to start with, not just because of the history, but because I'd rather see any trailer left complete.

But if it's not yours, and you aren't in a position to make it yours, there's nothing you can do BUT let it go.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Putting emotion to the side, I agree with Steph.

-Tim
Old 10-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The way government grants usually work, is the grant was awarded to refit that particukar serial number only, and he would get into massive trouble if he sold the trailer, even though he got a replacement. .
This is not a government grant- it's from a not-for-profit. Even if they specified a particular serial number (which I seriously doubt), the grant agreement could be revised for another unit.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
there's nothing you can do BUT let it go.
Or buy it.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:10 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
Message To Rob K.

Hey, Rob,
Do you remember that old Johnny Carson Routine?
May a billion bees bite your bottom. A thousand boos to you.
Sorry everyone I just could'nt stop myself.
silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:21 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Still, it's his personal property to do with as he pleases, including ruining it. No matter what he said previously or how much $$ he turned down in the past for it. It's a shame, because I see gutted projects all the time, there are certainly better trailers to use if you just want a shell to start with, not just because of the history, but because I'd rather see any trailer left complete.

But if it's not yours, and you aren't in a position to make it yours, there's nothing you can do BUT let it go.
Stef,

Thanks again for the comforting words - somehow they aren't helping much.
As for buying it, like I said, Rob obviously did not accept any of the offers made to him. He wanted THAT trailer in large part because of the history he is now dumping in wholesale fashion.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:51 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Waters , Michigan
Here is one small link about rob, http://regenerativedesign.org/rob-keller
PINKBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

Waters , Michigan
http://www.napavalleybeecompany.com/ in his blog he seems to have a soft spot for the airstream(notice the photos and how it is included in so many shots...,check it out and offer your opinions if you care to .
PINKBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Here is one very telling quote from his July 16th blog. For me it speaks for itself:

It’s exciting to be back and show off the trailer. The one person that understood my almost immediate connection with the trailer and it’s energy was -name withheld-. Go figure the car guy is able to relate to what I’m talking about when I explain how I feel in the trailer. I haven’t even unpacked my things from the trip, I’m just leaving things where they are. It will force me to go into the caravan at least once a day.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:56 PM   #39
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
wow.. it seems like after reading some of his blogs he might actually love this little trailer but then how could he turn it into a circus act.. Well to each his own. He cant have my airstream. He might make it into a car hauler.. yikes..

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:20 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
You may want to check his web site. I do not know of a physical address being as I only communicated by email and phone with him.
You may be able to find the address by doing a reverse look up of the telephone #. Otherwise, it can usually be done using a city directory but that usually requires a trip to the library of whatever town it is the person resides in.

BTW-- I have a friend who has a vintage gutted out Airstream shell on a frame. He asked me if it would be feasible to sell it on ebay or something. It's a late 50's single axle, sorry I don't have more details but if anyone is interested I will look at it and get back with you. This trailer is located in Crestview, FL and it's setting in the guys backyard. He origianlly gutte it to trun it into a "tool hauler", don't ask me why. I told him when he first got it to sell it as is and buy himself an enclosed trailer. Well he didn't listen and didn't even sell off the interior contents, hauled it all off to the dump! Appliances, water heater, cabinets, shower, holding tank and all. Now he realizes he should hve bought an enclosed trailer. I asked him who's going to haul thousands of dollars worth of tools in a trailer with windows anyways! A lot of things people do don't make sense!