Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2008, 08:04 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

St. Louis , Missouri
Thanks, Gail. Did you find yours on Craigslist? Was it local, or did you search nationally?
GACStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:40 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
I found many some missing out by an hour and some days.
Try www.jaxed.com go to mash and then go from there. good luck.
ours was 8 hours away.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:27 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Hi Jeff ---- my grandparents were also avid airstreamers. Guess I got the bug from them and, after looking for about a year, one 'bout bit me in the arse - so I had to get it. Unfortunately, I did not do my research and the *clean* trailer turned out to need some work. I'll spend the holidays replacing the axles and installing a charger/converter. Then I'll start on some of the cosmetic parts. First off though, I need a new TV - my Xterra seems to be *slightly* undersized. Looking at an Armada later this week before my Thanksgiving Day tow to visit my cousins.

Anyway - welcome and I hope you find your AS soon. I'm about the same age as you and doing this as a single girl - just can't wait to see if I meet the right guy and hope he wants an AS as much as I. I am definitely learning LOTS. If you check out my other thread - you'll see some photographs I scanned in of my grandparents - traveling all over! I found, literally, hundreds of photos. Wonderfully heartwarming - wish I would have been *allowed* to spend my summers with them like you did with your grandfather.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...tos-45861.html
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:45 AM   #24

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Airstreaming is still the fun and adventure that you so fondly remember.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:09 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GACStreamer View Post
Thanks, 53flyingcloud.

I have already gone through these classifieds. There are some possibilities, but I am trying not to be so picky. My only requirements are:

1. 1965-1982
2. 21'-26'
3. Don't like the rear bathroom floorplan, which eliminates a lot of my options.
4. No major issues like plumbing, electrical, gas lines, etc.
All Airstreams in that era of 26' or less in length had rear bathrooms. It is only in the 1973+ (or so) 27', 29' and 31' models that the side bath even became an option on. And seeing a side bath on a 27' is very rare and a 29' side bath only slightly little less rare. It is not until you get to 31' that a side bath starts showing up with any regularity, but even than it is still less common than rear bath 31' models in that time frame.

As far as condition (especially look for soft floors, frame rust, rear end seperation, and rear end sag issues), read up on this site using the archives. Go look at every Airstream you can, even if you don't think it is right for you because of age, size, model, or condition, because you will learn things by doing so. If you can, enlist the team of volunteer trailer inspectors on this web site to help you look over any potential purchases - experienced eyes help a lot.

Good Luck!
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:34 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
How do we find our Airstreams?

The first 2 - a 28' Safari (traded away) and the current 30' Classic - from our local AS dealer. Buying new is great, all the amenities are already "there", and the most expensive way to go.

But then, during our last Texas Vintage Rally (February 2008), I was bitten, infected, smitten, whatever - Vintage'itus. And I blame members of our local WBCCI Unit for showing me the beauty of a 55 year old, 13 panel hunk of gleaming aluminum.

Almost a year of dreaming, reading, electronic shopping, trips to look'see. Success came a couple of months ago when a friend forwarded an ad on eBay for a 1954 Cruiser. PERFECT for our needs (read that "wants"). Had to have it so much that I was willing to drive over 1,600 mi. one way to bring her home (right at the recent apex of the diesel prices!). She needs all the usual - a shell on floor replacement, electricals, waste tanks, plumbing, flooring, etc. - the usual you'll read all about here. And I've never done ANY of this kind of work myself, so I have a ton to learn. Thankfully I have several AS friends who have generously offerred much needed help. Do I regret anything? CERTAINLY NOT!! It may take a couple of years, given my skills and available money, but in time our "Miss Kitty" will be reborn - a killer vintage Airstream!! And I have to note here that it was that same AS best friend who turned me on to the ad on eBay who insisted (without even being asked!) that he was going to make that long drive from central Texas to within 13 miles of the N. Dakota / Canadian border with me, sharing the driving chores as well as providing lots of laughs. Is there any better demonstration of a friend? An Airstream friend at that!!

Do your research, be darn sure of what you need (vs. just wanting), watch every classified ad you can find, put out the word to your friends. Find local AS rallys and go. You'll be made to feel very welcome, ask questions, tour their trailers. YOU WILL find what you're looking for. If you can, come on down for some (by comparison) warm sunshine & attend our 2009 Texas Vintage Rally the first week of February 2009 in San Antonio, TX!! We're expecting well over 100 Airstreams, including lots of Vintage trailers, not to mention all the seminars to learn from. Like ole Bob Barker used to say - "COME ON DOWN!! I guarantee you'll have the time of your life.

This is an exciting time for you, the start of a wonderful journey. YOU WILL FIND AND MAKE THE VERY BEST OF FRIENDS TOO!! Airstreamer's are absolutely awesome people. Pease do keep posting your questions and eventual results.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:47 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
One more thing -
Have the current owner demonstrate that the systems (water, fridge, furnace, etc.) work - don't take their word for it, especially if the condition causes you to be suspect or if the trailer hasn't been used recently (i.e. not THIS year). You'll get a lot of "the previous owner said it worked, but we never checked" (means if probably doesn't work) or "it worked the last time we used it" (means three+ years ago). You're better off not believing these claims. Trust but verify BEFORE purchase.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 11-19-2008, 08:13 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

St. Louis , Missouri
Thanks to Funkill, Moosetags, 66Overlander, and Whitsend for all your words of encouragement. I have not ruled out the rear bathroom, it's just not my first choice. I do know that the small lengths had rear bathrooms - the reason my grandparents bought a 31' was because of the side bathroom - I believe 1973 was the first year for the side bath for the 31' - I could be wrong.

My search will be slow and patient, as I am exploring financial options and any time needed for repairs and upgrades.

Thanks again to all.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:16 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

St. Louis , Missouri
Funkill,

Glad to hear about the stories of your grandparents. Sorry to hear about your grandmother's fire incident. I am in the process of pulling out old photos to scan and post. There are many - most of them with me as a small child and the "silver bullet".
Old 11-19-2008, 08:21 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

St. Louis , Missouri
66Overlander,

I was looking at your pics of your '85 AS, - I love that floorplan with the rear corner bed. Do you still own that model???
Old 11-19-2008, 08:33 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Welcome to the fourm

We're from Missouri and found our's in Kansas.

We did look for one at the Airstream Dealer in Irvine California where a lot of movie stars have purchased Airstreams...Unfortunately we had a budget and theirs were all over $5,000.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kani at Arstream irvine.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	71558  
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:03 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

St. Louis , Missouri
Hi 76Sovereign,

Thanks for the e-mail - your photos are great. Did you do all the rehab yourself??? How long did it take???
Old 11-19-2008, 03:04 PM   #33
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Airstream 1984

Thought I would post this for you. Since he is close to you, it might be something you can check out? Best of luck.

There is another one in KC that has a trailer w/sale pending. His website is Airstreamguy.com.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:46 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GACStreamer View Post
66Overlander,

I was looking at your pics of your '85 AS, - I love that floorplan with the rear corner bed. Do you still own that model???
Unfortunately, no - we sold it to a friend who absolutely loves it. We loved that trailer - the only reason we changed was that we wanted slightly more room and 28' did it for us.

1985 was the first year for a mid bath 25'. They came with rear twins or the rear corner "queen" bed at least into the mid '90's before the queen turned to be across the rear of the trailer. Those '85+ 25' models are very popular, but there appear to be more with the twins than the corner queen. I actually think the mid to late '80's are some of the best Airstream values out there. The interiors started getting more and more wood to replace the 1970's plastics, so they have a nicer appearance, but do weight more. The '85 was probably 5000 lbs. empty and that value probably goes up as you get into the later 80's and early 90's as more wood is added. Prices for an '85 to '93 or so 25' probably range from $7000 to $17000 depending upon condition and options more than age. Of course exceptions exist on both ends of the price range. These trailers are more likely to still be in regular usage than '70's models, too, so you may find they have more of their systems still working than the older models.

So in the end you have to decide what is more important to you from a size, floorplan, condition, and price perspective. A '70's trailer may be a little less expensive and a little lighter for towing, but many you will find will need more work than '80's models (but many 70's Airstreams are in fine shape, too). Of course a '70's model (thru about 1983) will remind you of your grandparents trailer more than an 1984+ model, because of the interior materials and tambour (roll top desk style) doors on most of the cabinets.

Take your time. Look at all the photo's you can find and especially look at as many Airstreams in person as you can. Don't rush to buy the first one, because there will be others. Mostly, enjoy the process.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 11-19-2008, 06:06 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
A Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitsend View Post
How do we find our Airstreams?

...a friend forwarded an ad on eBay for a 1954 Cruiser. PERFECT for our needs (read that "wants"). Had to have it so much that I was willing to drive over 1,600 mi. one way to bring her home (right at the recent apex of the diesel prices!). ...And I have to note here that it was that same AS best friend who turned me on to the ad on eBay who insisted (without even being asked!) that he was going to make that long drive from central Texas to within 13 miles of the N. Dakota / Canadian border with me, sharing the driving chores as well as providing lots of laughs. Is there any better demonstration of a friend? An Airstream friend at that!!
A Friend will help you move.
A REAL Friend will help you move a body.
An AIRSTREAM Friend will spend days moving a trailer with no working bath!

Welcome aboard. Let me say a word about "Vintage"...

They are great... after a year or so of restoration and $20K in parts and I'd really urge you to look for one. However in the mean time, consider a gently used one. You could be Airstreaming tomorrow.

You can sell it when your vintage is finished.

I have a yen for a 27 CCD FB.... wanna talk about a 25 FB Safari I'd need to sell first?

"Lead a snot into temptation"

Paula
Old 11-19-2008, 06:42 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
We found ours on ebay, got it from a guy (TwistedSilver) in TN who remodels older airstreams. It was more work than we were expecting, such as replacing the floor in the bathroom and around the front door but the price made it worthwhile. We did not mind nasty since cleaning is cheap. This is our first camper and while I knew very little about campers we have experience in remodeling older homes. We spent about 1000.00 for materials but a whole month in labor. Just remember if you spend all your time working when will you be camping?

63silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:45 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Don't let 63 Silver fool you. He loved every minute of his interior resto.
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:11 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

St. Louis , Missouri
COArgosy78,

Thanks for the link.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:13 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

St. Louis , Missouri
66Overlander,

Thanks for letting me know. The requirements that I have in my mind are not written in stone. I am pretty patient and open minded to various prices, conditions, and floorplans. It will be one of those situations where "I know it when I see it."
Old 11-21-2008, 08:20 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

St. Louis , Missouri
Fooled Again,

Do you have pics and more details on this 25' you want to sell??? Let me know.

Thanks.