Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

St. Louis , Missouri
Talking New Member w/ Personal Airstream History

Hello Everyone,

I am a new member on this website, and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading some of threads and posts. I am a fairly young guy, 41, and have thought about owning an Airstream for most of my life. Many thanks to my grandfather for that - he was an avid Airstream guy for almost 30 years.

His first trailer was a 1954 Wally Byam Holiday-16'. From there, he moved into the Airstream family with a 1958 Flying Cloud-22'. After this, he was hooked. Eventually, he expanded by purchasing a 1969 Tradewind-25'. Finally, as he and my grandmother retired, they sold everything they had and got a 1973 Sovereign-31', International Series with the side bathroom.

From the time I was able to walk until I was in Junior High School, I spent every summer with them and their "silver bullet", as I used to call it. To this day, my greatest childhood memories center around the Airstream, all the travels, all the rallies, and all the times my grandfather let me "hitch-up" the "silver bullet".

So, as a fresh face to this website, I am looking for any and all information from fellow "streamers" that will help me when I purchase my first Airstream. A lot has changed since my grandfather sold his last Airstream (1982), so I need to re-educate myself - any assistance in that regard is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Jeff
GACStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Jeff,
Welcome aboard~good to have you..
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up AS History

Jeff,

Welcome aboard, glad you could join us.

Any ?'s just ask away.

Any photo's of those memories, we all love Airstream history!!!
Old 11-18-2008, 04:36 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

St. Louis , Missouri
My first question to everyone is the most obvious: where to find an older Airstream that is in decent shape with a decent price. Looking for something between 21' and 26'. Don't mind putting a little TLC into it, but don't want to deal with major issues like the septic tank, heater, water pump, etc.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thought you'd never ask~!
Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Classifieds - Main Index - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:53 PM   #6
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
You might look at the Craigslist post that has been going for awhile. It might lead you to something or at the very least, give you lots of food for thought.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:56 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

St. Louis , Missouri
Thanks, 53flyingcloud.

I have already gone through these classifieds. There are some possibilities, but I am trying not to be so picky. My only requirements are:

1. 1965-1982
2. 21'-26'
3. Don't like the rear bathroom floorplan, which eliminates a lot of my options.
4. No major issues like plumbing, electrical, gas lines, etc.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:08 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New Member w/ Personal Airstream History

Greetings Jeff!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GACStreamer View Post
My first question to everyone is the most obvious: where to find an older Airstream that is in decent shape with a decent price. Looking for something between 21' and 26'. Don't mind putting a little TLC into it, but don't want to deal with major issues like the septic tank, heater, water pump, etc.
Part of the answer depends upon what you mean by "older" Airstream. If you are thinking of something around 10 years of age or less, an Airstream dealer would be one source of a pre-owned unit (Bill Thomas Camper Sales in Wentzville has been mentioned frequently as a reliable dealer). If on the other hand, you are looking for a Vintage unit (25 years or older per definition by Vintage Airstream Club) then it is more of a search using traditional as well as electronic classifieds. The classifieds right here on this site would be one excellent source. Some other sources include:
I am sure there are others, but these are the sites that I have marked in my bookmarks. My Minuet was purchased via an advertisement on the Vintage Airstream Clubs Classifieds. You can also consult local "Trader" publications as they will also periodically have Airstreams -- I found my Overlander through one of these in 1995.

Good luck with your search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

St. Louis , Missouri
Kevin,

This is awesome. Thanks so much for the links and info. The range of age I am looking for is 1969-1982.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:29 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Go to rallies. Find them in the area - drive a little ways but visit groups of AS owners when they get together. You'll meet folks that can answer all your questions and, maybe, find an AS looking for a new owner. They are certainly out there - but go out and look at them. AS owners LOVE showing off their baby - that's how we discovered what we wanted. You can't really tell looking at them on a lot or in a catalogue. Talk to owners and ask them why they have what they have - why they don't have something else. Learn from those that have one - noone knows an AS better than one who owns one. Spend time with them. Good luck and welcome aboard!
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
3. Don't like the rear bathroom floorplan, which eliminates a lot of my options.
This is interesting as the rear bath is the latest and greatest in smaller, new Airstreams.

It just shows how everything goes in cycles.

Welcome to the boards!
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Airforums, Jeff... Nice to have you here, and fun to hear your story... Where will you find your Airstream? It could be anywhere...they seem to pop up in the most unlikely places...but you've received some good guidance here already as to how to find yours... Keep and eye out and an ear open and frequent the classifieds and other resources... and before you know it you'll be living the dream...

Ease on down the road!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:48 PM   #13
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The rear bath was very common in the 70's, that will eliminate most of these units from your search.

You never know where you will find the trailer you are looking for. I did a lot of searching and made a few trips. One day I got a PM from another member who was about to sell his trailer, the rest is history.

Good luck with your search.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:10 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

St. Louis , Missouri
Hi TBRich,

I noticed that you have a newer Tacoma - mine is a 2006, four door. I do not have any hitch on it. Does yours do well pulling the Airstream??? What did it cost you for the towing hitch to be added??? Did you have to mirror extensions put on instead of the factory mirrors???
Old 11-18-2008, 07:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Welcome to airstream forums. I bought mine about 13 months ago and I found it on Craiglist. My advice is to take your time and not rush anything. When I was looking for a travel trailer I was not looking for an airstream. I was looking at everything from travel trailers to motorhomes. I found the airstream on craiglist and took my wife to look at it. She fell in love with the layout of the interior.

My airstream had major problems which I was not aware of and after I bought it I found out I needed to do repairs. To my surprise this forum and the advice I received from forum members made fixing the trailer fun. I was able to get the job done in a reasonable amount of time.

I see airstreams, avions and spartans on the craiglist. I am hooked. I dream about getting a spartan someday and fixing it up.

Lothlorian
Old 11-18-2008, 07:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Tacoma

Quote:
Hi TBRich,

I noticed that you have a newer Tacoma - mine is a 2006, four door. I do not have any hitch on it. Does yours do well pulling the Airstream??? What did it cost you for the towing hitch to be added??? Did you have to mirror extensions put on instead of the factory mirrors???
Hey Jeff... We have an 07 Tacoma Double Cab...it has a factory tow package and we use a Equal-I-Zer Hitch set-up...I don't know the actual cost of the Equal-I-Zer because it was part of the purchase price/deal we made for the Airstream. The Tacoma is rated to tow #6500...the Bambi is #4500 loaded...and it does fine with it. It would probably still be OK with a 20' or 22' but at 23' we'd probably need a larger truck (though I know there are those who tow that length with a Tacoma). Remember that the newer Airstreams are heavier than the older models, so it's really all about weight, wheel base and hitch set-ups... We use inexpensive mirror extensions that clip onto the standard side view mirrors, but we are thinking about better ones. Good luck! Hope to see you on the road soon!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:34 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

St. Louis , Missouri
Thanks to Lothlorian and TBRich for the info.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:47 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
Jeff,
Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you have a great history with Airstreams that needs to be revived. Take your time looking, we looked for over 2 years before we found ours. Most older models had rear baths so your search will be more difficult. Good luck with your search.

63silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
Welcome! We just bought our gal and thought we were not going to find one at a good price. We did! Check out all the craigslists daily and the site we have here as well as airstreamclassifieds. Ours is getting a check up and we hope to be on the road by Jan. for long weekend streamin.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:03 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

St. Louis , Missouri
Thanks, 63silver. Did you do the remodel yourself??? Were the costs high?