Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2006, 06:21 PM   #1

2006 28' International CCD
Cathedral city , California
Smile New member, towing question

Have just joined. I am in the process of buying a new 2007 International CCD 28 ft. I plan on using a 2006 Armada as a tow vehicle....either a Hensley or Equal i zer hitch. Any comments ? Gabe Whelan
G Whelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 07:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Welcome

Great choice for the Airstream, we use the Equal-i-zer hitch system and it works great. The Armada is rated well for towing, but the 28 CCD loaded may be pushing the envelope if you are trying to maintain a safety cushion.

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Gabe -- and welcome to the Forums!

Airstream lists the tongue weight of your empty trailer as 880#. You will have to put a hitch bar (35+ pounds) into the back of your tow vehicle. You will have to put weight distributing gear on the A-frame of the trailer (30-60#?). And you will put propane in the tanks (60#). This is all before you put any personal gear into the trailer -- figure that between kitchen gear, food & a minimum of clothing you will add a minimum of another 100# of tongue weight. Your real life hitch weight will easily approach 1100#.

Do a search on 'Armada' and you'll see a thread started by Silvercamper this last spring. At http://www.nissanusa.com/armada/specifications.html I do not see a payload (also called load capacity) for the Armada. I know that it's low -- because I used to have a Titan. Payload is the maximum weight of passengers + luggage + tongue weight you can burden the tow vehicle with -- Payload would be listed in the owners' manual. But the Armada specifications 'Capacity' page does list the max tongue weight as 900-910# with the tow package.

New 25' Airstreams are heavier than similar length Airstreams of 30 years ago and nearly in the 3/4-ton tow vehicle zone. A 28-footer definitely does require a 3/4-ton (? 3/4-ton Suburban if you have a family) -- or similar capacity truck.

If you have minimal possible load in the Armada and camp light, you could get by for maybe a season... but you didn't hear that as a good idea from me. I know you'll love this Airstream. Please plan your way towards a bigger tow vehicle.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:25 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new AS. I use the Hensley and am sold on the thing; its towing characteristics are nothing short of amazing. It is expensive and sometimes difficult to deal with.

The Armada is probably marginal for that size AS. The Armada is a half ton vehicle. I would not think of pulling any trailer over 5000# with anything less that a 3/4 ton. If you plan only very short distances, the Armada might be doable. Don't be fooled by the horse power of a certain engine for towing. Horse power is only a small part of the towing formula.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:25 AM   #5

tow vehicle for 28ft A/S

Thanx everyone for the info. I understand what you are saying & have probably been talked out of the Armada as a tow vehicle. There is something in me that resists going to a 3/4 ton Suburban ( or the like ) & equally I am trying to avoid a truck. I would like to compromise with a ? Yukon XL Denali where I believe the tongue wt is 1000lbs with the trailer hitch platform included. All other parameters seem to be acceptable.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:40 AM   #6
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Whelan
Thanx everyone for the info. I understand what you are saying & have probably been talked out of the Armada as a tow vehicle. ...
I've seen it done, with a heavier trailer than you've specified. I also saw the print-out from the CAT scale. The tug was NOT overloaded.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:56 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Havana , Florida
Thumbs up Congrats on your new A/S

Welcome to the forum!

We just travelled on the busy I-75 in Florida with a Hensley Hitch, a tractor trailor was towing another trailer came beside our new 2007 A/S and we felt no affects whatsoever.

We did have a bit of problem hooking it up the first time, it will take some practice, but we feel confident that it is going to be easier as we get use to it.

Good Luck with your new A/S.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:03 AM   #8

Hensley & tongue wt

Can anyone tell me how many lbs. the hensley arrow will add to the tongue wt. Thanx in advance
Old 10-05-2006, 11:23 AM   #9
_

. , .
hi gabe and welcome to the forums....

we've started a thread to focus on hensley issues (haha) so read there some and you'll get answers...

http://www.airforums.com/forum...de-26279.html?

also we can answer questions directly related to the haha there. by keeping the info all together it may help the next user.

or just search hensley and find the dozens of threads on the topic....

as i understand.... no weight distribution hitch adds weight to the trailer tongue....

once the w/d bars are adjusted the hitch load is on the tow vehicle not the trailer...

your nissan will be taxed witha 28 foot trailer...and moving to a yuk-on doesn't automatically solve the towing load issue....really depends on engine, tranny, gearing....

and how much stuff is carried inside the suv....payload reducing towing capacity pound for pound.

a newer 28 footer pulls and stops and handles sooo much better behind a 3/4 ton anything....and allows carring people, gear, toys, fluids and so on....

happy searching
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:32 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
be cautious, but not overly so ...

FYI - I pull a 28' Safari with a 1/2 ton Chev Avalanche/Equalizer hitch which I think works just fine. I've weighed the whole rig fully loaded and I'm (a little) under the GVWR of 13,000 so, although I live and play on the flat ground of Florida, I'm ok with it.

If you haven't bought a TV yet, yeah, go 3/4 ton; but if you already have the Armada I would think it will do the job. I've never used a Hensley or a Reese, but the Equalizer sure seems simple and effective enough to me.

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:34 AM   #11
_

. , .
another thought gabe....

rich luhr and rich carpenter both have logged thousands of miles towing with armadas and titans....

they seldom post here anymore but both have blogs and will descibe for you their personal nissan towing experience....

i think they are both happy with the nissans but understand the tradeoffs and size issues...

airstreamlife.com or the digitalrv.net

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:41 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
silversub - was that you?

Silversub - were you heading south on I-75 last Saturday/mid-day/btwn Orlando and Ocala? If so, I saw you!

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:19 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Havana , Florida
We were heading North I-75 FROM Ocala to Tallahassee.