Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
Ora
2 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
LAMPASAS , Texas
New Member, Recently purchased 74 Ambassador

hey There,
I recently retired from the NY Air National Guard, my last 23+ years spent working nondestructive testing of C5 aircraft. I had not done a a lot of advanced research or planning prior to the purchase of my AS. My wife saw an add in the local Craigslist and I bought it on site. My 29' Ambassador is pretty much original, with a few electrical updates. I have discovered water leaks ( vents / rivits / potable water system) which I have attacked and hopefully cured. I just bought my (used) Dodge 2500 Quad Cab w/Cummins 5.9 a couple of weeks ago. We hope to be able to try it out at a local campground in a couple of weeks. We have a trip to Texas (my home) planned in August. need to have everything fully operational by then.
I have found the repair forums very useful as I have delved into my repairs.
Ora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome and congratulations on your retirement and the Airstream.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Hi Ora, and while I'm saying "welcome aboard" you're an older member than me! But, since I've been engaged in about 30 years of "non-destructive testing" of my Bonanza I think whatever you were doing with C-5s had to be pretty interesting! I hope to have an AS myself and be involved in my own little challenges as well!
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Welcome Ora!

So you're a Texan and you don't know better than to come down here in August? I'll be fighting the temptation to run off to someplace high in the mountains by then!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:51 AM   #5
Ora
2 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
LAMPASAS , Texas
thanks,
To OilnH20 ... I've had a little experience with smaller aircraft too, got my A&P from Hallmark AeroTech in SanAntonio in 83, helped rework a lot of IO-520 cranks and other engine parts as employee at Engine Components.
To DKB_SATX ../. yeah I know how hot it will be, I remember a few +105F days when I lived in SA. Hope the old Armstrong AC holds up. Most of my time will be down on the coast.
Ora is offline   Reply With Quote