Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2016, 07:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Sarasota , Florida
New member near Tampa, ISO AS for travel fall 2017

Hi, all~ I am looking to buy a trailer so my daughter and I can travel next fall for 6 months after she graduates and before I relocate. I am brand new to this world, so welcome any suggestions on size, what vehicle to get to tow (I don't think my Fiat will work), etc. We will be travelling with our 2 50 lb dogs and 1 11 pounder, so I think having some space (more than, say, a Bambi) would be cool. Especially since it will be our home base for so long- might be mine for longer, who knows. Glad to be here!
Josefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
My suggestion would be to go to the Airstream dealer in Dover, head right for the 30footers and see which floor plan would work best for you. 2 50lb dogs will take up a LOT of floor space when they're on all fours. As well, you're gonna have to take their size into consideration as to tow vehicle. Most 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups will tow 30 foot Airstream with ease. But, you sure won't have room for 3 dogs in just a 2 door pickup. Definitely extended cab or 4 door for sure.
You don't mention, are you in the market for new or used Airstream. There's a Classifieds section here on the forum.
Oh, while in the Airstream trailers, try and figure out, how much 'stuff' you'll be able to take along. You won't be able to carry a closet full of clothes, and 30 pairs of shoes. You'll need to watch a couple episodes of those living Tiny Homes shows.
If this is only for 6 months, you'll be able to take what you think you'll need, leave rest behind at your home without wheels.
Might even want to start watching some of the YouTube channels that deal with Full-Timing. Streaming Freedom is a family of 5 in a 30ft Airstream. Less Junk, More Journey is family of 3 in a motorhome that have been full-timing for almost 2 years. Be amazed at what you can learn from others mistakes lol
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
New member near Tampa, ISO AS for travel fall 2017

Hi, I'm from Tampa also. There is no substitute for sitting in as many trailers as you can before making a size choice. There's an RV show next weekend in the Fairgrounds. Might want to stop by so you can see the different models.

I tow my 30' Flying Cloud with an Escalade. Yukon and Tahoe are similar. I needed a smaller vehicle to fit in my condo parking, but I wanted the larger Airstream for my wife and I and a 18 pound dog. As mentioned before you will need to be very judicious in how you pack. Lighter is better.

Good luck!
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
Hi, all~ I am looking to buy a trailer so my daughter and I can travel next fall for 6 months after she graduates and before I relocate. I am brand new to this world, so welcome any suggestions on size, what vehicle to get to tow (I don't think my Fiat will work), etc. We will be travelling with our 2 50 lb dogs and 1 11 pounder, so I think having some space (more than, say, a Bambi) would be cool. Especially since it will be our home base for so long- might be mine for longer, who knows. Glad to be here!
Hi Josefine, welcome to the forums. I think you're going to buy something used at first. Your description says "6 months" but nothing about what your intentions are after that. Airstreams aren't cheap and you have to buy a tow vehicle (TV) too. That's a pretty good investment. Crazeevw suggests the classified section of the Airforums. That's where we found ours.

Like anything new, the first few years will have the biggest depreciation. The classifieds will give you a very good idea of what's available and the price ranges. If you see something you like, write down the year, model and length, then go to the Airstream site and get the specifications from their owner's manual documentation. Use that to find out more about the various TVs, new and used.

You don't say anything about your experience in towing. If you don't have any you'll want to see if there are any travel trailer towing classes offered in your area. If you are totally green at this, there is a LOT to learn.

Many people, in the first few years, either go bigger or get out of travel trailers. FCStreamer offers good advice, go to the RV show and see what the various lengths offer in the way of room and comfort. My wife and I traveled 3 months in our 23', which is really good for moving frequently. But sitting in that trailer for 3 months, just the 2 of us, seemed very crowded at the end of 2 months. We were happy to get home again. 30' is great but it's not an easy tow and requires a good sized TV.

So visit the show and take a look around. Be sure to get the specifications (towing and tongue weights) so you know what to look for in a TV. I have an SUV that has 7,000 lb. capacity, just enough for our 23' but a 25' would be right at the maximum or even over. I suggest a pickup truck or a larger SUV for your needs.

Good luck in your search. Take your time, do a lot of research. Keep us posted on how it's going.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:34 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
sacramento , California
We just moved to Tampa, 50 lb golden retriever, 2 adults 25 flying cloud twins beds,dodge ram 1500. Enough for us. 3rd the suggestion for the show next weekend
Flht2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:53 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Sarasota , Florida
Hi, guys- not sure why I didn't come back to see the responses here! We did go to the show, then drove to the AS dealer in Dover and drooled over some new Airstreams! In a twist of fate, I saw some pix on FB of a '61 Overlander a man in VA is working on, and traveled north to take a look. I'm sold on her and now am starting to look for a TV. Will keep you posted soon on everything he has done to make her safe and roadworthy and about the journey my daughter, dogs, and I will be taking! This is buoying me through a tough time, this dream, and I'm just happy to be here and be learning.
Josefine is offline   Reply With Quote