RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-24-2021, 02:56 PM   #1

2021 33FB Classic
Olathe , Kansas
New Member Here

Hello everyone.
My wife and I recently ordered a Classic 33FBQ with the white interior and Earl Grey ultra leather. It is supposed to be delivered in June.

Meantime, I'm researching tow vehicles. Had my eye on a 2020 RAM Tradesman with a HEMI 6.4 L and 3.72 ratio, but my wife raised concerns about being able to get in and out of the gasoline fueling area at truck stops. Now I'm researching that issue, before making a tow vehicle purchase.

I will be retiring in August. We will sell our house and move to Florida, where our son has some land where we will set up a home base. Looking forward to using the Airstream to visit our daughter and her family, to take grandkids on trips.

Going to start looking around the Air Forums now to find lots of great info!
Streamer1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:08 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
Welcome to the forum! You will love the Airstreaming and camping life.
Florida is great, too, but you will need to learn how to avoid hurricanes (is your son near a coast?) and to compete with the snowbirds for campsites and other resources.
You’re wife is probably right about the size of your setup (aren’t they always?) but if you get the biggest tank you can, and fill it while the trailer is at the campsite, it’s not as painful.
Hope to see you on the road!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Even a 28’ like I have means planning ahead. Look for gas stations where the fuel stations run parallel to the station or where if you go on the end pump you can go around the station to get out. I have a 36 gallon tank. We stop about every 2 hours, and we always fill up. You never know. There have been a few times where I’ve had to back up to get out. But most of the time you can find a pump. Just be careful that when you drive up to the pump you don’t hit the pump guards when pulling out. Swing the truck out right away. You’ll get the hang of it.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Hi Streamer 1231,

Welcome to the forums. Ten years ago when we joined the Airstream crowd we were enlightened by friends who had been RV'ing for a while. They told us to sign up at our local petroleum distributor for a Fleetwide card
http://cfnfleetwide.com/site-locator/
Now we find fuel wherever we go and usually without the stores and amenities that draw tons of vacationers into the stations. Most sites are off the beaten path, are not crowded and are used primarily by professional drivers. We have a 44 gal diesel tank. As an added bonus, we ordered cards for the kids when they were in high school and put a monthly limit on the cards based on their to/from school driving mileage plus a little. We get bills from the petroleum company bi-weekly based on their fleet pricing. The CFN fleet card works at many truck stops and some regular gas stations as well (Chevron in CA). The site locator works well and has a map feature.

Good luck on your new adventure!

Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:30 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. You are going to love Airstreaming. We have been at it for fifteen years, and have not tired of it yet. We have accumulated almost 2,200 nights of Airstream camping. That's about six years in the Airstream. We have travelled to all of the lower 48, Alaska, and most of the Canadian Provinces.

The getting fuel thing is not a serious problem. Just pick your spot and take your time. Some gas stations are just not laid out for fueling vehicles with trailers, but most are doable. We often refuel while the Airstream is back at the campground.

Since you have the time, do your research on tow vehicles and hitch systems. You mention considering a gasoline-powered tow vehicle. I'm not sure how good a match that would be for a 10,000 pound Airstream.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new AS! Hopefully it will be delivered on time and you can enjoy it this summer.

Regarding the TV, I've had gas and diesel. Each has advantages and disadvantages. With a 33' AS I think getting into the gas pumps could pose a challenge at times. Diesel, at truck stops, would be much easier. And cheaper with discount programs, such as this one (https://www.tsdlogistics.com/services/fuel-program/).

Do your research and make the best decision for you.

All the best!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:37 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Boston , Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum and have good time.