Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2008, 09:35 AM   #1

1966 17' Caravel
2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Ellenton , Florida
New Member Hello from Chuck Gregory

Hello from Chuck
Problem with Dometic Duotherm Comfort Cntrol Thermostat led me to the Airstream Forum . That's the Good News . Bad news is that our Duotherm Comfort Control (four button) Thermostat does not work consistently and we have been advised that the corrective action is to replace it with a new five button Comfort Control Thermostat. This isn't a simple matter of removing one thermostat and replacing it with another. The new thermostat requires a new control module on each air conditioner unit. Price for parts is about $290. plus labor. Another downside of replacing the thermostat is that the new thermostat has the same electomechanical design as the old thermostat according to Dometic staff.

There was an article in the FMCA magazine which described the problem and a possible fix. We tried the fix and it did correct the problem for a short period of time. The thermostat is now back to a malfunction mode.

Question: Has anyone found a real fix for the four button Dometic Duotherm Comfort Control Thermostat short of replacing the unit with a new thermostat and control modules?

Based on discussions on the internet. I'm not alone on this matter. In advance I thank you for any help you may provide.
Chuck G.
airstrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstrem
...Problem with Dometic Duotherm Comfort Cntrol Thermostat ...Bad news is that our Duotherm Comfort Control (four button) Thermostat does not work consistently and we have been advised that the corrective action is to replace it with a new five button Comfort Control Thermostat...
First, Welcome to the Forums.

This problem is making me a little nuts. You don't really mean you have more than one A/C in a 17' Airstream? Is this a replacement A/C, or the original (was there an original?). I can't imagine why this is so complicated. A simple two-wire mechanical thermostat ought to be able to control the A/C. A second one could control the electric heat, if that's what you have.

I'd love to know more about this. (reminds me of the fuel filter in the Ford Explorer--filter is $30, but the SPECIAL tool to install it is $70--or you can pay a tech to do an extremely simple job).

Zep
Old 01-28-2008, 11:16 AM   #3

1966 17' Caravel
2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Ellenton , Florida
You're not going nuts!
We own two airstreams- 66 Caravel which you're trying to solve the problem and the other airstream is a 2000 Landyacht Motorhome diesel with two ac units which are controlled as two seperate zones by the thermostat.
My profile failed to identify the motor home and I didn't elaborate on that fact. Sorry about that. Back to the problem.
Chuck
airstrem is offline   Reply With Quote