Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
wyn

Melbourne , Florida
New member Hello.

Hello everyone, my name is Wyn and I have recently joined this forum. I am brand new to trailers. I am interested in buying one and traveling in North America. There are some questions I have. What do you do about electrical hookup while on the road? What do you do about showers? I haven't researched Airstream trailers and perhaps they already come equipped with these things, I don't know and if they do please pardon my ignorance. I eventually would like to own a Airstream but right now I have my eyes set on something smaller like a Scamp trailer. Any info on how to get started will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading.
wyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hello, Wyn. My first reaction is to suggest that you go first to the library and take out a book or two on travel trailers. There you will find a wealth of information that will give you a much faster track to understanding them than asking questions of us would do.

Or if you haven't the patience for that, a trip to any brand of travel trailer dealer's showroom could also get you acquainted with the basics of trailering.

At that point you could start to see what this hobby is like, and whether it's for you or not. You could also have a basis to understand what the difference is between Airstream trailers and the other types.

Enjoy!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hello Wyn welcome to the forums. All travel trailers are equipped to provide water and electricity to the occupants on a self sustaining basis for a short term. They are also equipped to be connected to water and electricity at the campgrounds for longer stays. Most trailers have all the conveiniences of home just on a smaller scale. They have water heaters,furnaces,air conditioners,stoves,fridges, sinks, showers and toilets. The interiors are furnished with couches, dinettes, beds,and storage cabinets for personal belongings.
You will find most here that will say that there are SOB (some other brand) white box trailers and then there are Airstreams. They are all correct. Both will accomplish basically the same thing but airstreams do it with style and longevity.
More than 60% of the airsteams ever sold are still on the road today. You can't do better than to buy one. That's not to say that they are not without problems but how many 40 to 50 year old other trailers have you seen on the road.
Good luck with your research and your impending purchase.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:25 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Most plug in at a campground to get electric. It's just like at home. Our sweet Lucy has a shower, toilet, and all other conveniences.

In the last 4 years, we have slept in Lucy for 736 nights.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Hello and welcome.

I recommend going to a camp ground, get out of your car and go talk to people you see that are camping with trailers. Most trailer owners are glad to show you their rig, because they are proud of it. We all started out knowing nothing, so lets just get started learning.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
wyn

Melbourne , Florida
Thank you to everyone who has respoded. You have given me good info. I will be making a stop to my local library to see if they have any books. I will also check my bookstore. I have 2 young kids and I was thinking when they get a little older of taking them on a trip to see Alaska by way of the Alcan. I would LOVE an Airstream but I don't think I can afford one right now. I was looking at something smaller like a Scamp to get started. One day i hope to be a proud owner of an Airstream. Once again thank you for all the good info, and have a great day! Happy Airstreaming!
wyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Welcome, Wyn,

You didn't say whether or not you have any experience camping at all. I have gone from tent camping to a tent camper, to a pop up camper, back to tent, back to pop up and finally to the Airstream. The adventures started almost 60 years ago in a 10 by 14 army surplus wall tent.

The primary shelter for your camping experience will be determined by the type and quantities of amenities you wish to take with you when you camp. And the amount of time you want to spend setting up and tearing down between each leg of your journey.

Our last pop-up had AC, stove, refrigerator, hot water, shower, etc. But it was not convenient to go on the road where it had to be set up and torn down between every move. (and I'm getting older and lazier) So the AS was our answer. Whether we park it for one night or a whole summer, it will have everything we require to make our life comfortable and relaxing.

Good luck in your research and your hunt. Look forward to hearing more as you move through the process.