Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2006, 10:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 26' Land Yacht Gas 26
Kerrville , Texas
New Member has Tow Sway

Hello to All Fellow Airstream Lovers:

My partner and I recently purchased a slightly used 2006 Land Yacht 30. Our Maiden Voyage was to Waller, TX. to Yogi Bears Jellystone Park with our 6 year old daughter and our 4 month old Golden Retriever puppy. After being literally run off I-10 by a Mustang, we decided we had been properly initiated, survived, and could hence relax and enjoy the rest of our trip, which we did.

Life on the road is indeed a new experience, having spent the past 14 years land bound on a large Texas ranch. We look forward to a summer trip from Texas to Michigan.

Question: We are towing a Jeep Wrangler and experienced a great deal of sway. We have an Ox tow rig and Camper's World says the hook up looks great. Jeep doesn't have an alignment problem. So, what is the problem??? Fighting the wheel is not fun. Thanks for any suggestions.

Best Regards,
Landsteward
landsteward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 04:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by landsteward
Hello to All Fellow Airstream Lovers:

My partner and I recently purchased a slightly used 2006 Land Yacht 30. Our Maiden Voyage was to Waller, TX. to Yogi Bears Jellystone Park with our 6 year old daughter and our 4 month old Golden Retriever puppy. After being literally run off I-10 by a Mustang, we decided we had been properly initiated, survived, and could hence relax and enjoy the rest of our trip, which we did.

Life on the road is indeed a new experience, having spent the past 14 years land bound on a large Texas ranch. We look forward to a summer trip from Texas to Michigan.

Question: We are towing a Jeep Wrangler and experienced a great deal of sway. We have an Ox tow rig and Camper's World says the hook up looks great. Jeep doesn't have an alignment problem. So, what is the problem??? Fighting the wheel is not fun. Thanks for any suggestions.

Best Regards,
Landsteward
Do you have a stabilizing hitch? Like a Reese or Hensley?
If you you should do a little research. You may need a load break as well..

http://www.reese-hitches.com/towbars...g_products.htm

http://www.hensleymfg.com/
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:48 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums.
I am sorry to say (and this is without photos, so I may be off-base) the problem may lie in the Jeep. For example, do you have oversized tires on it, is the body or frame got a lift kit on it?
Does the tow bar point up or down a lot, front-to-back? Do you carry a lot of stuff in the Jeep while you are towing it? Do you have something heavy on the back of it, like a small motorcycle, scooter, or maybe even a pair of bicycles?
All these things can contribute to sway with your Wrangler, as they have a fairly small cargo capacity, a high center of gravity, and tend to throw themselves around while driving.
Let us know, and a photo is, as they say, worth a thousand words.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Landsteward

Welcome to the Forum!

When flat towing a vehicle behind a MoHo, It is very unusual to experience sway. It could be coming from a couple of sources. The primary one is the tow bar itself. You should check it (or have it checked) by a COMPETANT dealer. I can't emphasize this enough! While the folks at CW may have a thriving business, I have heard of and corrected more than a few horror stories and problems with their installations.

While full-timing in a 40' Monaco Dynasty, I towed a full size Chevy van (8000lb loaded) everywhere I went and never had a sway problem. The first place to look is at the extension arms of the tow bar. They MUST lock out and stay locked!

If one or both arms won't lock, this will allow the towed vehicle to sway, as the conection to the MoHo is not rigid. Do the following to check this: hook up in the usual way and have someone at the rear to verify that the bars lock out (you should pull the whole rig forward in a straight line about 10 feet to lock the bars). If they do, put the MoHo in reverse and VERY GENTLY back up a few INCHES.....just enough to put pressure on the bars. If they didn't move (and they should NOT MOVE), then they are OK, and the problem is elsewhere in your set up.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:24 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2006 26' Land Yacht Gas 26
Kerrville , Texas
Thanks From Landsteward on the Tow Problem

Thanks to all you guys for the replies. It's taken me this long to get back on the forum because I've been too busy camping. However, we have not gone long enough distances to take the Jeep along again. We DID get CW to look over the installation(They didn't do the install) and CW said it looked A-OK. However, with one response saying that CW isn't 100% foolproof, I now kind of doubt their opinion. They did recommend we check that it is locked down(which we aren't sure that it WAS) so we will double check it next time. The Wrangler does not have a lift kit or oversize tires. It was also empty when we towed it. CW did say that wind could have been a factor and it WAS very windy when we encountered the sway. SOOOOO...... I will get back to you after we tow again. Once more, thanks so much for all the help. This forum is AWESOME!! I even got a happy birthday from the Forum today. Pretty neat deal.... landsteward
landsteward is offline   Reply With Quote