Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2006, 03:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
McAllen , Texas
New Member - Go Airstream!

This is our first post, and we’d like to say ‘hello’ and ‘thank you’ to all the wonderful people on this forum. We lurked and read a lot here before we made up our mind to buy a 2007 Classic 31. We don’t have it yet, but will take delivery sometime this summer.

We are new to RV-ing and new to Airstreams, so right now the learning curve appears pretty steep.

On the other hand, it’s very exciting, and we’re looking forward to leaving the world of motel rooms behind us, giving our Springer room to stretch out and meeting wonderful people!

Tex and Lee
redoverred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
Hub
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Thamesville , Ontario
Congratulations on your purchase. How are you going to wait until delivery? I'll bet you will be like kids waiting for Christmas.
Cheers,
HUB
Hub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 04:29 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Pelham , New Hampshire
We have owned ours for two years now and love it. We also took the plunge and never owned anything else but will never give it up for another. The people we have met are great also. Overall it has been an outstanding experience.

Have fun!!!
We don't miss hotel rooms either!
bobandcarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 06:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Welcome! Be sure to post pictures of your Springer in the pet section! Oh, and when you get your trailer, we'll expct pictures of that as well!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:55 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
McAllen , Texas
Hub: We are like little kids! Waiting to get out there and join you!
bobandcarla: That's great to hear, makes us feel better. It seems so many people here have a lot of experience RV-ing or with Airstreams. Amen to not missing hotel rooms!
cameront120: You've got it! We sure will. Your fur-kid's are beautiful. Can you recommend a site to host the pictures?
Thank you all.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:30 AM   #6
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Welcome to the forum.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 02:49 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
McAllen , Texas
Thank you, Van. Beautiful Oregon with her fantastic friendly people is somewhere we go every fall. Maybe we'll see you out there!
Old 06-11-2006, 02:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by redoverred
Can you recommend a site to host the pictures?
Thank you for complimenting my boys! I have been hosting my pictures at photobucket with great success.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:48 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
McAllen , Texas
cameront120: You've got a good looking crew!
Thanks for the tip on Photo Bucket.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Great to see people as excited as we were and still are today. Although we are fairly new, all of the great people we have met in our travels, especially Airstreamers, have kept us giddy like kids in a candy store.

if you have been following the forums your learning curve will accelerate you into pros in no time.

Congrats and go for it!
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:23 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
McAllen , Texas
TIMEMACHINE: Thanks. We're glad to hear that the excitement doesn't go away, and that you can figure them out.

This forum is wonderful. Can't wait to get out there and meet the real people who post to it. Hope to meet you 'out there' soon!
Old 06-14-2006, 03:20 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
It's all true ...

Congratulations on the new Airstream. We (me, wife, 2 kids) just bought a 28'er two months ago and also recently joined the Forum. We fooled around for several years before jumping in with both feet and making the purchase - SO MUCH WASTED TIME!! We have been even happier with the purchase than we ever dreamed. We've taken "Silver Sally" to horse shows, the beach, Disney - have probably done something 5 of the 8 or so weekends we've owned "her." In fact, we're pretty much depressed now every weekend that we don't go somewhere! And I don't care if I never see another hotel room ...

Hope you're as happy when you get your Airstream as we are with ours.

Brad
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Me toooooo!

I went into full-timing in a 22ft CCD with no RV'ing experience since I was a kid spending a few weekends with Aunt Jean in her "Silver Suppository".

Moved up to a 25ft Safari FB SE this spring and am so happy!

You'll know you're a real Airstreamer when you become uneasy sleeping under one of those wierd flat ceilings!

Congrats!

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:48 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Foiled,

It sounds like your as happy with your 25' Safari FB SE as we are with ours. I only wish we could full time or at least half time.
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:08 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
McAllen , Texas
Paula and Brad: Thanks for the welcome and the words of encouragment!

When you were brand new at this were you bum-foozled by all the switches and systems, or were they sort of intuitive? When you made your maiden voyage to pick it up, what did you take with you? I know they are all named. Do you christen them with champagne like a sailing vessel, too?
Old 06-14-2006, 08:55 PM   #16
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
This is a great place to learn. I ordered my 06 and read as much as I could in all the forums and threads before taking delivery. It has been very helpful.
I went from living in the same house for 17 years to full time in a 31 classic two months ago. My first RV, my first travel trailer. Everything is going well.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:59 PM   #17
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Don't hit the skin!

If you hit her with a bottle on the skin you will have something to remember for along time. You will dent it.

A little in a glass wouldbe fine of you can put little down the sink and toilet and make the bacteria happy .

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:08 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
McAllen , Texas
Thanks Michelle! I think a little in a glass is a good idea! She's got to be named and christened.

We've been reading the forum, and ended up following your story. It was wonderful to see so many people concerned about you and how they helped. What a terrific group of people!

I think what you did was a very brave thing!
Old 06-16-2006, 09:28 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
Bumfoozled, but in a good way ...

Redoverred: Yes, there is a learning curve but it is very, very fast. We already have made enough rookie mistakes to fill this forum - for example, first trip we locked ourselves out and had to call a locksmith at about 10pm (and pay a $55 'idiot' payment) (NOTE: Never go outside without taking your keys with you! All it takes is for that little lever on the door to have gotten bumped to 'lock') - but we've learned a lot just by doing it. I've had fun just spending some time putzing around/figuring things out when we're camping and its calm and quiet and I can just walk around the unit with a cup of coffee and check this, adjust that, and so on. Funny - on our first trip I was nervous enough about the whole "sewer" thing - but THEN when I went to a dump station for the very first time ever a gigantic motorhome pulled up right behind me - I mean within about 6 feet - so I'm fumbling around trying to do everything right with this husband and wife sitting pretty much right on top of me and peering down watching my every move from the front seats of their RV. I was sweating bullets (Florida heat, mind you) and when the guy put his window down I joked with him "This is the first time I've ever done this, so if I'm doing anything wrong feel free to tell me!" and he just laughed and said "You're doing just fine. I was just going to tell you you're parked pretty close to that palm tree so when you pull out be careful not to swing your rear end around and hit it. Lots of people have hit that tree here." So, it was all good ...

I'm a rambler ... will shut up now. Bottom line - everybody you meet seems to be nice and you'll learn what to do and what not to do really fast.

Brad
Old 06-16-2006, 09:43 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
all that and I never answered your questions ...

1) dealer gave us a very lengthy walkthrough upon delivery - helpful, but way too much to remember all at once and there's still going to be stuff you have to figure out for yourself.

2) we're only an hour from our dealer so we took nothing - but my instructions to them were: "During our walkthrough, go ahead and install my hitch, my brake controller, an Equalizer system - so when I leave there I've got everything I need to go anywhere I want to." Took nothing as far as supplies, etc., b/c we were just picking it up and bringing it home that day.