Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2007, 12:55 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

McLean , Virginia
New member from Virginia - still trying to decide

Hi all,

Discovered the forum while trying to learn enough to make a decision about what to buy. Great source of information.

We're waffling back and forth between a 2003 International CCD 22' and a Bambi 19' CCD 2006 or 2007 (year depending mostly on price we can get)

I know others have faced the same decision and I have been reading the threads. The 22' we're considering is in very good shape and is $30,000. We're looking at dealer "clearance" on the new 19' CCDs.

We are also looking with some fascination at the 75th Anniversary model and are tempted in that direction because we like the old-fashioned finishes inside but are not looking for a vintate project at present.

Would love to hear from anyone who has the 75th Anniversary model - specifically about quality control issues and if you find it to be light enough inside, with the dark wood and without the wrap-around window. Also any other observations based on your experience.

I have read previous discussions about quality issues of the 2003 CCD and don't know if this a significant enough to deter us from buying the 22'
I understand the 22' will not be made in the future, going instead to a 23' with separate shower and toilet rather than the wet bath. I wonder if this is an indication that the 22' will command a lower price on resale, since it has not proved to be as popular a design as some of the other models.

I also wonder about the depreciation of the 75th Anniversary model compared to that of 2006 or 2007 International CCD. Any thoughts?
To me the Anniversary model seems pretty darn classy and like it might continue to have wide appeal. In contrast I wonder if the laminate finishes (and colors) of the current CCDs might not look dated before too long, and consequently be less sought after. This concerns me in case we decide to either sell or upgrade in a couple of years.

FYI, this will be primarily used by my husband and me, once we figure out what to tow it with. When not on the road it will be used as a little pool house/guest house/office and will have access to power and water, but will not be undercover. At least in our current imagining.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
kduval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome...

Lots of pro's and con's to consider.... Everyone has an opinion, and feelings to share.. At least your decision doesn't need to be "fact-based"...

Buying for depreciation or resale value I think is wrong approach... Any new one will depreciate more than used one for a couple years, then level out... Collectable value won't really make it a good "investment"...

Dry v. wet bath and shower is a significant difference. Some prefer hose-it-down wet version, others want separate shower.. How about bed size and configuration? How about desk or counter area for office use? How about single v. double axle for safety or stability in event of blowouts? Do you need oven or just microwave?

Quality on 2003 version should have been sorted out by now, other than possible rust on painted frame rails.. Some have warranty issues, others don't.. Some have very high expectations of new trailers, some expect a few glitches...

Good luck with choices...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:04 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Hello Kduval ,Welcome to the forums.Bigger is always better,you never have enough space in a trailer.At least thats my thinking .
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Hi kduval,

Welcome to the forums. I have a 2004 22' CCD and love it. I favor the roomy wet bath. It doesn't take up as much space as the dry bath/vanity set up in the 19' and I can straighten my legs when I sit on the toilet. We use the bath house showers when they're available.

Since this trailer is just two of you, a 19' will be adequate, but the 22' will be spacious. There are four of us in our 22'. The 2003 CCD doesn't have heated/insulated tanks. The newer 22' CCDs (2004 to 2007) do. The 19' has forced air heating for the tanks. This is a plus if you're planning trips in colder temperatures.

As for resale, I can't say. I'm not planning on selling my CCD, but I've seen 22's on the market for some time. But they do sell and people like them. The newer 23's are actually about the same length as the 22's, but have a more conventional floorplan.

The 19' and 25' seem to be the most popular, so they may have better resale.

I hope you'll make the decision that you'll be happy with.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:04 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Welcome Welcome.... and whatever year you decide on is still a good choice as long as it's an Airstream
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Bambi @ Safford RV

There is a Bambi at the Safford RV showroom in Fredericksburg. This one had a tree fall on it, the night that the new owner took it home. The dealer bought it back, and repaired it. One whole side and front of the trailer is all Olympic Rivets - just not sure if that is the one you are thinking about - could probably get it for a steal - but it'll probably start leaking in a few years. Good luck.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
22 Ccd

Have you checked around for price on a 22ft CCD? $30K seems a bit steep for a 2003. I have a 2005 that I'm only using occasionally - and might be tempted to part with for around that price. It has an upgraded innerspring mattress and a Reese W/D hitch too. (Blue Streak).

I looked seriously at the 19' before I chose the 22'. More closet space, nice counter space and the bathroom is not right by the bed (phew). In a smaller unit the wet bath is a big space saver and it's REAL easy to clean.

Paula Ford, Virginia Beach
Old 04-30-2007, 08:28 PM   #8
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I used to live in Northern Virginia. If you are dealing with Safford RV well They seemd to be more interested in selling what they had than what I wanted. I bought my trailer from Out-of-Doors Mart in NC. It was a five hour drive but I saved $6000 on my trailer. They were interested in selling me what I wanted.
My personal feeling on the size get the 22.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote