Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2006, 08:00 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
New Member from up North

Hello all,

Thought I'd say hi to everyone on the boards - I'm an aspiring Airstream owner from Canada. Will shortly be looking at getting a slightly used CCD (probably 25') and have discovered this site to be very informative - not to mention the members' knowledge and helpfulness is top-notch!

I hope to find the Airstream of my dreams sooner rather than later - but in the meantime I'm soaking up all the information I can. Thanks and have a great day!
Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums glad to have you here. Your Airstream is out there waiting for you, good luck in your search.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Welcome from the West coast! Good luck with your search.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Macfrodge:

I found my excellent 1976 Argosy 24 at NORTH GOWER last year.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
Macfrodge:

I found my excellent 1976 Argosy 24 at NORTH GOWER last year.
Hi Sergei - That's in my neck of the woods. How did you find it? Local classifieds or online search?

Which is getting me thinking... Many of the members here have/are buying more of the vintage sort of Airstream - something that I'd never considered before. But more and more it's becoming a possibility. I guess being an Airstream they're built to last, providing the previous owners have been responsible.... It's definitely planted a seed in my brain! Maybe I'll direct my energies towards the vintage trailers rather than just focusing on a newer ccd...

-Michelle
Old 07-13-2006, 10:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Michelle:

The story of my Airstream is documented here should you be interested:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ase-18448.html

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Welcome to the forums from the East Coast.Good luck in your hunt.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Ottawa , Ontario
Wow - that was good reading Sergei. What an adventure! Thanks for the link.

At the risk of sounding like a complete and utter newbie - does anyone know which Airstream models have stainless/aluminum on the interior walls as opposed to the white treatment (for lack of a better term) I've seen on the Classic and Safari models? Is it a certain vintage year and/or model?

That's one of the main reasons I'm looking at a CCD - I feel it's got a more "timeless" feel to the interior as opposed to the other models out there today. Carpeting can easily be replaced, but the other features such as cabinetry and wall "treatments" - that's a different story altogether.

Thanks!
Michelle
Old 07-13-2006, 08:57 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
2009 28' Flying Cloud
Piedmont , Quebec
Send a message via AIM to maerix
Bienvenue from Montréal !
maerix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Ottawa , Ontario
Merci beaucoup!
Old 07-14-2006, 02:56 PM   #11
Zero Carb Twinkie

2003 22' International CCD
Fullarton , Ontario
Welcome

I am in the Stratford Area, and am running with a 2003 22ft CCD, had it since new, and we love it. It is OK for2 people and a dog, but not a family.

We are 1 hour away from Can-Am Rv in London. They sell new and used.
But there is a guy just 10km away that has a number of Vintage AS's and an Argosy in various states of repair. I will get back to you with his name if you like.

Rob, Susan and Newfoundland Dog - Tickles
2003 22' International CCD
2015 Nissan Xterra 6spd Manual
0CarbTwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:17 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Ottawa , Ontario
Welcome Macfrodge,

Hi Macfrodge,

Great to see there is someone else in the capital that has an affinity for aluminum!

I didn't even know what an airstream was last year at this time and then I happened upon a 69 Caravel near my house. I had been looking for a trailer for my sister and when she said wasn't interested in an "old trailer", I said oh well and forgot all about it..... well I meant to forget all about it - but I couldn't. The day after I kept thinking...damn that trailer looked so retro cool - it was a time capsule. After a few more drive bys - I made an offer and found myself with a 30 year old trailer.

The trailer had some frame rust issues that I've since replaced/repaired and now I'm getting ready to finish the repair work - it's been an adventure for sure.

I'll keep my eyes open and let you know if I see something in the area.

hope you are enjoying another beautiful summer weekend,

Julison

P.S: check out http://rvcanada.airstream.com/?go=features&do=Trailers

ther are located right here in Ottawa.
Julison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0CarbTwinkie
I am in the Stratford Area, and am running with a 2003 22ft CCD, had it since new, and we love it. It is OK for2 people and a dog, but not a family.

We are 1 hour away from Can-Am Rv in London. They sell new and used.
But there is a guy just 10km away that has a number of Vintage AS's and an Argosy in various states of repair. I will get back to you with his name if you like.
I'm the guy! I have a new project on the go, a 1960 Ambassador Internatinal.
Doing a full makeover to make it our winter traveller. Will sell the Argosy when the 60 is roadworthy.
Rob and Susan, stop in and I will tell you about our rally at Science Hill this August 4-7, if you need a close place for a campout.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:49 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Wow! Who knew! So many Canadians... with a thread of their own!!! (Kent, you live so far north you could easily have been a Canadian too.) Welcome to the forums Michelle. I'm the ex-pat. Canadian living in SC. I refer to myself as the refugee from the Revenue Canada man.
Good luck on your hunt for the perfect AS. There are some great bargains out there in used trailers.... just figure out a budget and a floor plan that works for you and have fun.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Ottawa , Ontario
Thanks for all the tips. I had (briefly) contemplated getting a cool vintage trailer - but with working full-time, two kids, a husband that needs to do lots of renovations at home.... you get the picture. So it's back to the CCD search for now.

I've been to RV Canada here in Ottawa, and that's where I was a bit taken aback w/r to pricing differences up here as compared with the U.S. prices. The 25' CCD had an almost $20G price difference, taking into account the exchange rate. Yikes. So I'll be looking south of the border, all the while feeling slightly uncomfortable at not giving my business locally. But $20G is a significant enough difference to warrant that.

I will keep my eyes open for a slightly used CCD here in the area - does anyone know if a 25' is going to be too small/cramped for a family of 4? Curious if anyone's had experiences w/r to sizes and families.

Did spot a beautiful 34' Classic out in the Kanata area last week - there's a few Airstreamers around here for sure!

Hope everyone's having a great weekend,

Michelle
Old 07-16-2006, 02:05 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
London , ontario
We just bought a 19' Bambi from Canamrv in London. Just the pair of us and our three year old.

We've already picked out our next A/S in five years. 28' CCD.

One thing I don't like about our trailer is the location of the fridge, it's on the curb side so I get to listen to the annoying fan run while sitting under the awning. I know it's silly, but hey!

I'd second the floorplan idea. We'd prefer the split bathroom with queen bed and a dinette. Have a good look at the 25', especially the toilet, it's hard to get in there sometimes. Plus the door opening to the bath. Also, my wife sleeps upside down in the bed because she doesn't like sleeping with her head on the curve.

We love our little trailer, it'll do us just fine until our daughter is older.

See you all at Science Hill...

TTFN
gowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 03:07 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Ottawa , Ontario
Thanks for the info Gowyn - we were thinking the 25' would be good, but might consider a 28'. I'd have to bring my husband on board with that - more to tow and all that.

While we wouldn't be Airstreaming full-time, probably only 2 weeks at a time at the most, we do have 2 active little boys who seem to take up much more room than they should!

Would be nice to rent one for a week or so to get a good testrun in. My local dealer here in Ottawa told me it would be pretty near impossible to find a place that rents out Airstreams. I'd have to agree on that. Oh well - c'est la vie!

Michelle
Old 07-17-2006, 10:47 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfrodge
My local dealer here in Ottawa told me it would be pretty near impossible to find a place that rents out Airstreams. I'd have to agree on that. Oh well - c'est la vie!

Michelle
Perhaps you could attend a rally or two in your area and have owners give you a tour of their trailers to give you a feel for the various sizes and floor plans.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Ottawa , Ontario
Who knew lunches could be so educational?

I just spend a rather enjoyable lunch hour at my local dealer, touring both a 25' and a 28' CCD. As an added bonus, an Airstream rep from New Jersey just flew in today and gave a very informative addition to the tour. Am now pretty much set on the 25' after some discussions.

After the "tour" was over, I just sat and looked at the outside of it, dreaming of the places I could go with that A/S... Reminded me of the Dr. Seuss book "Oh the Places You'll Go"

Just have to get a few pre-planned trips over and done with and I can get down to the business of buying one. And the suggestion of the rallies is an excellent one - never did think of that. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2006, 05:57 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
London , ontario
glad to see you're having fun with it, out of curiousity, why are you leaning towards the 25 over the 28?
gowyn is offline   Reply With Quote