Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-11-2021, 02:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
Los Lunas , NM
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 8
New member from the Southwest looking for help :)

I have a Chevy Silverado 1500 CC 4.3 V6
Max Payload: 1848, Curb weight 5152, GVWR 7000, GCVWR 12800, Max Tongue: 750

I'm considering a 29 foot TT
Dry: 5576, Hitch Weight: 728

Running the numbers through some online calculators I've found it looks like I'd be okay as long as the trailer isn't loaded much past 6700 lbs but I'm unsure about tongue weight. The sales guy said the hitch weight include the filled propane tanks so we should be under max there. We will have a WD installed - probably the E2.

Does this look doable? Is it safe? FWIW, I have not driven a long trailer before.

Thanks!
LL_RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 03:00 PM   #2
Moderator
 
jcanavera's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,894
Images: 143
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL_RV View Post
I have a Chevy Silverado 1500 CC 4.3 V6
Max Payload: 1848, Curb weight 5152, GVWR 7000, GCVWR 12800, Max Tongue: 750

I'm considering a 29 foot TT
Dry: 5576, Hitch Weight: 728

Running the numbers through some online calculators I've found it looks like I'd be okay as long as the trailer isn't loaded much past 6700 lbs but I'm unsure about tongue weight. The sales guy said the hitch weight include the filled propane tanks so we should be under max there. We will have a WD installed - probably the E2.

Does this look doable? Is it safe? FWIW, I have not driven a long trailer before.

Thanks!
I owned a 2001 27' Safari (equivalent to the Flying Cloud today). With camping gear and empty holding tanks it came in at 6,500 lbs. Airstream specs showed its unloaded weight at 6,000 lbs. Towed it with a '99 Chevy Express half ton passenger van. Had a 5.7 liter gas engine and 3.73 axle. I think it was rated to tow 7000 lbs. I think the tongue weight was in the 750 lb range.

I found that to be adequate but I remember the drivers guide on the Chevy said not to tow in OD.

Engines and transmissions are different today however. Be sure you check your owner's manual on your pickup for towing limitations. You might have to stay out of overdrive, and I'd suggest an auxiliary external transmission cooler be added.

Jack
__________________
Jack Canavera
STL Mo.
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 04:03 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
 
Los Lunas , NM
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I owned a 2001 27' Safari (equivalent to the Flying Cloud today). With camping gear and empty holding tanks it came in at 6,500 lbs. Airstream specs showed its unloaded weight at 6,000 lbs. Towed it with a '99 Chevy Express half ton passenger van. Had a 5.7 liter gas engine and 3.73 axle. I think it was rated to tow 7000 lbs. I think the tongue weight was in the 750 lb range.

I found that to be adequate but I remember the drivers guide on the Chevy said not to tow in OD.

Engines and transmissions are different today however. Be sure you check your owner's manual on your pickup for towing limitations. You might have to stay out of overdrive, and I'd suggest an auxiliary external transmission cooler be added.

Jack
Thank you, Jack! Did you ever have control issues with that setup? That's what I'm most worried about.
LL_RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 04:13 PM   #4
Moderator
 
jcanavera's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,894
Images: 143
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Well you are asking this question on an Airstream site. I see you made a similar post with the picture of trailer that is not an Airstream. Quite honestly I thought you were interested in an Airstream and gave you my opinions that might not be valid with a different brand of trailer. I found my 2001 Safari was a very good trailer and I had no control issues. I did use a weight distribution hitch, sway control and towed at slower speeds than what I do when I'm not towing. Keep in mind that with a trailer your stopping distance will be greatly affected and handling is never as good as when you aren't pulling a trailer. Towing slower helps in stopping distance and giving you time to react to an unforeseen situation.

Towing a square sided trailer is different since Airstreams handle better that square trailers. I know I used to own a 30' square trailer. They much more susceptible to wind, have a higher center of gravity, and a different suspension system. My suggestion is for you do so some Internet searches for the brand of trailer you are looking at and find some sources that have some better experience with that brand.

You might want to look at our sister sites that are more generically focused to the general RV public. Here's the link. Your sign on and password should work at any of those sister sites. https://www.airforums.com/forums/mis...do=rvlife_page

Jack
__________________
Jack Canavera
STL Mo.
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:32 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
 
KeithC's Avatar
 
1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 273
I'm assuming a 29" TT is a dual axel.

And you are planning on towing it with a Chev 1500 pickup with a 4.3LT V6.

I do not think you will be happy even with straight land evel towing, both ways.
__________________
Tac GA-20
Air Forums 20320
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:36 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member
 
Los Lunas , NM
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithC View Post
I'm assuming a 29" TT is a dual axel.

And you are planning on towing it with a Chev 1500 pickup with a 4.3LT V6.

I do not think you will be happy even with straight land evel towing, both ways.
Yes it is a duel axel. That's better for weight distribution and stability, no?
LL_RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 01:09 PM   #7
Trilla the Traveling Tube
 
2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 303
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL_RV View Post
Yes it is a duel axel. That's better for weight distribution and stability, no?
Dual axel 29ft sob (some other box) pulling it with a Chevy 4.3l 6 cylinder 1500...I would either dump the sob, or get a bigger truck. A 29ft box is going to toss you around - it will own your truck, not your truck owning it. Although I am no expert, but have towed many trailers, etc. over the years.

I tow a 2018 22FB Airstream (AS) Sport with a 2018 GMC 1500 Sierra with a 5.3l V8 Premium with the full tow package, and an Equal-izer WD Hitch & Anti-sway system. They are like bread and butter - but a bigger Airstream will require a bigger truck in our world as we live in Wyoming and to have wind is an understatement.

As noted by another member, an AS is much more aerodynamic than sob's so you might get by with your tow vehicle (tv) with a similar sized or smaller AS.
kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 672
We towed an early 28 ft Sunnybrook all over the place with an E350 van. It only got really squirrelly once, which I attribute to a loose bolt on the friction sway control. Then we moved to a 20FQ Creekside behind an F150 with a V8. No handling issues, but it was like towing a parachute at times. Our last cross country trip in it was enough to send us to the Airstream store.
A friend bought a 28 ft SOB to tow behind his late model ecoboost F150. He doesn’t go far because his truck overheats. (Towing in Florida is tough for some reason- dense air?)
Short answer: I wouldn’t make the match you are considering.
Final comment: Fuel economy plummets from solo when towing with an overwhelmed engine, and the TV dies an early death. You’ll be money ahead, operating, maintenance, and resale, not to overload the engine.
__________________
-Don
(That man in that tiny can)
(Same man, Bigger can)
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:19 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member
 
Los Lunas , NM
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
We towed an early 28 ft Sunnybrook all over the place with an E350 van. It only got really squirrelly once, which I attribute to a loose bolt on the friction sway control. Then we moved to a 20FQ Creekside behind an F150 with a V8. No handling issues, but it was like towing a parachute at times. Our last cross country trip in it was enough to send us to the Airstream store.
A friend bought a 28 ft SOB to tow behind his late model ecoboost F150. He doesn’t go far because his truck overheats. (Towing in Florida is tough for some reason- dense air?)
Short answer: I wouldn’t make the match you are considering.
Final comment: Fuel economy plummets from solo when towing with an overwhelmed engine, and the TV dies an early death. You’ll be money ahead, operating, maintenance, and resale, not to overload the engine.
Well it's done so we will see. I've run the numbers every way I can, I'm fairly comfortably under my payload rating, axle ratings, and grad ratings. I'm getting an equalizer e4 WDS/sway control. I won't be going far, at least at first.
LL_RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 02:22 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member
 
Los Lunas , NM
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpfate View Post
Dual axel 29ft sob (some other box) pulling it with a Chevy 4.3l 6 cylinder 1500...I would either dump the sob, or get a bigger truck. A 29ft box is going to toss you around - it will own your truck, not your truck owning it. Although I am no expert, but have towed many trailers, etc. over the years.

I tow a 2018 22FB Airstream (AS) Sport with a 2018 GMC 1500 Sierra with a 5.3l V8 Premium with the full tow package, and an Equal-izer WD Hitch & Anti-sway system. They are like bread and butter - but a bigger Airstream will require a bigger truck in our world as we live in Wyoming and to have wind is an understatement.

As noted by another member, an AS is much more aerodynamic than sob's so you might get by with your tow vehicle (tv) with a similar sized or smaller AS.
I picked the sob up on Saturday and naturally the winds were 30 mph sustained. The trip home was about 35 miles, luckily we were able to keep it on back roads and the speed between 40-45. I'm happy to report that the truck performed just fine. I never felt out of control, not a single "white knuckle" moment. That said, I won't be travelling in that weather again if I can help it. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised with the v6 performance. It never struggled with hills and I don't imagine getting up to 60/65 mph will be an issue on a calm day.
LL_RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 02:54 PM   #11
Moderator
 
jcanavera's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,894
Images: 143
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I’m glad things worked for you but it seems you have little confidence with your tow vehicle and trailer since your comment that you won’t be traveling in that weather again if you can help it. Sort of sad that wind is going to determine your future plans with your towing.

Jack
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 03:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
ITSNO60's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,285
Welcome and I am in Los Lunas at least once a year to visit cousins (except pandemic year)
__________________
Brian
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL_RV View Post
Well it's done so we will see. I've run the numbers every way I can, I'm fairly comfortably under my payload rating, axle ratings, and grad ratings. I'm getting an equalizer e4 WDS/sway control. I won't be going far, at least at first.
Different strokes... You did post your question on an Airstream forum.
We’ve been to NM a few times, and find a travel trailer is an ideal way to go. Being local, you’ll know the ins and outs of the challenging roads, so that is something. (My wife is finding some of her latest trip planning out there a bit daunting.) I envy you the recreational possibilities - Happy Camping!
__________________
-Don
(That man in that tiny can)
(Same man, Bigger can)
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:22 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member
 
Los Lunas , NM
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I’m glad things worked for you but it seems you have little confidence with your tow vehicle and trailer since your comment that you won’t be traveling in that weather again if you can help it. Sort of sad that wind is going to determine your future plans with your towing.

Jack
The winds were gusting to 50, I wouldn't feel comfortable in any TV.
LL_RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:42 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member
 
Los Lunas , NM
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
Welcome and I am in Los Lunas at least once a year to visit cousins (except pandemic year)

Thank you. I used to live in Oro Valley, I have a daughter who still lives in Tucson.
LL_RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Southwest Skydeck Skydeck Commercial Listings 5 03-27-2006 07:30 PM
Southwest vs West AirstreamGypsy Boondocking 10 03-23-2006 06:55 PM
Southwest trip Dbraw On The Road... 10 06-03-2004 10:42 PM
Southwest Rally joshua32064 The Rally Zone 9 02-04-2004 11:23 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.