Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2021, 11:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Westport , Washington
New Member from the PNW

Hello Folks,
I retired close to a year ago as a Factory Trawler Captain/commercial fisherman that worked in the Bering Sea/Aleutian Island areas. Retirement is great with a huge stress level drop.

I've tried to talk my wife into a RV that we could do some traveling in. She kept saying no. Today I showed her the brochure and a walk through video on YouTube of the Pottery Barn version which seems to have changed her mind on the whole subject. She likes that trailer but I think more because of the looks that Pottery Barn did. I'm more interested in a couple of the others. Sure wish there was some inventory that a person could actually go see the units they were interested in. Heck I'd even go back to the AS mothership plant if they had a showroom to look at the various units.

Anyway we have two places, our house in Tacoma and a place on the coast at Westport Washington where I keep my sport fishing boat which has kept me busy this summer fishing for salmon and albacore tuna. Our plan is to sell the Tacoma place and use Westport as our base. She like Westport as it's kind of a bubble away from COVID in the city areas. Now that the idea of the trailer is planted in her head we could spend most of the summer at Westport so I can make use of the boat and then use the trailer in the winter to travel some. I really don't like the idea of being a Snowbird of just going to a place and parking for the winter as I want to travel around a bit. A week here and week there sort of thing which I think an Airstream would fit the bill.

Soooo I'm here to try to get information and maybe some questions answered which I guess I should do elsewhere in the forum.
Kimbrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Welcome to the forums and glad yíall are settling in to retirement. Airstreamers are a great group and a wealth of information. Good luck on your search for the right trailer and glad sheís on board. Good luck and keep us posted.
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
Congrats on your retirement and good luck with your Airstream search!

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Denali 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Airstream Club International #2805
Dennis C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:58 AM   #4
Site Team

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Hi Kimbrey, greetings from Kentucky and welcome to the forum. Everyone seems to be buying RVs and travel trailers these days so you have a tough search ahead of you. There are YouTube video walk-throughs but nothing beats an actual one. You might ask a local AS dealer if you can go through one that has arrived for someone, before they take delivery.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:05 AM   #5
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Welcome Aboard...👍

Happy to have you here, but be aware...there IS no cure for Aluminits.

Best advise during these times, and we know it's hard....don't rush it, do the due diligence.

Sweet Streams...

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Hello and welcome to the forum! And hopefully you will have an AS coming your way sooner than later.

A suggestion on where to find an AS to look at in person. Find a local unit of the Airstream Club (airstreamclub.org), see when and where they are having a rally (which is quite often) and stop in and talk to the folks there. Most AS owners are happy to show you what they have.

Best wishes!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 11:20 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Welcome - Westport is a great community. As you are on the coast youíll want to regularly wax or ceramic coat your trailer to resist corrosion, assuming you store it in Westport.

An Airstream is really a 3 season trailer - while it can be made to work in Winter it is not the same as a true 4 season trailer which has better insulation. Keep that in mind as you think of where you will travel in winter season - hopefully in Southern areas.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:45 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Westport , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Me View Post
Welcome - Westport is a great community. As you are on the coast you’ll want to regularly wax or ceramic coat your trailer to resist corrosion, assuming you store it in Westport.

An Airstream is really a 3 season trailer - while it can be made to work in Winter it is not the same as a true 4 season trailer which has better insulation. Keep that in mind as you think of where you will travel in winter season - hopefully in Southern areas.
Thanks,
Yup I grew up in the Westport area thus the start of my commercial fishing career. Zeroing in on an accounting degree, 18 credits short I went fishing and never returned to finish...sheesh. My place in Westport has the room inside the shop to store my boat (28') and the trailer which is good. There's a possibility for non-travel times we might look for some place to set the trailer up around the Tacoma area to have a place to stay for doctors et cetera....we'll see. And...yup travel South for the winter travel times.
Old 09-28-2021, 05:34 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
Sulverdale , Washington
Airstream NW

Hey,

I assume you already went to Seattle Airstream Adventures which is right near you (Milton which is more Tacoma than Seattle IMO). When I was there last month they had an epic looking 27FB International Coastal Cove with rear hatch. They had a number of trailers on site but no Pottery Barnís.

Thought I would reply in case you havenít dropped by there yet.
Fox-trot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 05:43 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Westport , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox-trot View Post
Hey,

I assume you already went to Seattle Airstream Adventures which is right near you (Milton which is more Tacoma than Seattle IMO). When I was there last month they had an epic looking 27FB International Coastal Cove with rear hatch. They had a number of trailers on site but no Pottery Barnís.

Thought I would reply in case you havenít dropped by there yet.
Actually I haven't yet as I just got the wife interested and we're at our place in Westport so over 2 hours away. Just doing mostly internet right now. I plan on stopping by once we get back to Tacoma. With the weather it's time to pull the boat, store it and get the house ready to sell in Tacoma. Enough of this playing.
Old 09-28-2021, 06:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Greetings and welcome from Colorado: It is a sure bet you don't mind cold and wet. Traveling with an Airstream is great fun. They used to be called Land Yachts as the company founder was fond of big boats.

We have had an Airstream trailer going on 15 years now. We don't travel as much as many people do, but we do enjoy our trips when we decide to go. We're retired and don't have many excuses not to go. Here we are "snow birding" in Tucson some years ago. Our trailer is 35 years old and still going strong.

Here is a link to a thread that I have been following. I think user name "mooseags" travels with their Airstream in a great way. An Airstream adventure so to speak that takes in many of the sights and sounds of America. They find unique places and things by just exploring the back country roads. You might enjoy taking a look at their latest travel journal.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...ad-225426.html

You have probably found the Colonial Airstream website. This is a big dealer in the northeast. Their website includes video tours of many of the models.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1804 Tucson Lemons (Small).JPG
Views:	6
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	405090  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:15 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Fredericksburg , Texas
Welcome to he forum.
TexasVine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 05:15 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
Sulverdale , Washington
Congrats!

Well congrats on your retirement! Just an FYI we swung by Airstream Adventures in Milton and they have a Pottery Barn in stock now :-). In case you are at your Tacoma home anytime soon.
Fox-trot is online now   Reply With Quote