Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2009, 03:15 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Surprise , Arizona
New member; first time owner

Well, I bought a 27' 1973 Overlander 5 days ago with absolutely no knowledge or guidance. My plan is to live in it while I get it back to a level that is campable. It is pretty much gutted-no AC; refridgerator; front sofa/bed; oven; flooring; curtains; etc. It does have a stove top (don't know if it works or not and it has the bathroom in the rear (also, don't know if it works or not.) I have not checked out the tanks, gas, water or electrical systems. The 'good' news is I am only out $1500 dollars either way, and if all I do is live in it for a couple of months or so, I will have recouped that much. So...wish me luck as I dive into my new project. I have learned a lot just reading all of the threads here on the forum. I will keep you posted with pics and info. Thanks for sharing all of your knowledge and experience.
AzLandshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:49 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Welcome to the world of Airstreams,

Where are you living in this? I hope a campground with full hookups because you are in a time period that the camper may or maynot have a gray water tank. I believe that 1973 was the beginning of them adding them . I hope that you have one. The gray water is the water that you discharge from your sinks and shower. If you are on private property get a blueboy, which is a portable gray tank and then find a campground to dump it.( Or if it's your own property maybe just run it on the ground)

You are in for a fun and exciting time, we have just about finished rebuilding ours and I can't wait to take it out for the first time. Keep reading here and don't be afraid to ask questions. and Post some pictures.

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Congrats - another '73 Overlander!!! I've done a bit of work to mine - mostly cosmetic, except for new axles. I'm now working on replacing all the window/door/compartment gaskets. Tedious work. I can't imagine working with one that is gutter - but it does offer you opportunities to make significant changes without the guilt of ripping out the original stuff yourself!
Where are you living in it now? I am wanting to do the same but the places that I've found around here are cost prohibitive!
Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:27 AM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Welcome to the forums!
Congratulations on the Overlander. Living in an Airstream here in the valley would be a challenge in the Summer even if you had an Air Conditioner. Hopefully you are headed to higher ground.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:04 AM   #5
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Welcome AzLandShark ~

I agree with Richard. Living full-time in an Airstream here in the valley without an AC as the temps are now hitting 100 is not my idea of living it up. If you are planning on staying put for awhile, adding an AC would be on the top of my list. Hopefully, you're able to park it in the shade at least.

Did you happen to purchase this one from up on Union Hills and around 37th Ave.? I saw one for sale up there awhile back and from what I remember, yours sounds about right.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Surprise , Arizona
Guess I left out a few details...it is parked on private land w/access to home facilities/conveniences. I also am not actually going to be in it till Oct 1, 2009. I bought it off craigs list up in Cave Creek. It was being used as a contractor's office while he built a spec home. (If you think I have problems, he has a 6000sf home to sell in this lousy mrkt. now that's scary.) I can only work on the AS on days off. Just trying to get my priorities lined out as to what is first and so on. Most of the larger (expensive) items won't get started till Oct, so for now I am just learning from everyone's experience and comments. Thanks for all the encouragement and any tips are surely welcomed. Nice to know there is a net out there to help me when I fall.
AzLandshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #7
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
With what you said above, then the first thing would be to make sure all leaks are taken care of. If its gutted, now is the perfect time and monsoon season will be here in a few months.

Any pix to share with your new family?

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote