Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2020, 07:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Vallejo , California
New member - considering full-timing (prove me wrong)!

Hi all,

Bay Area person here considering purchasing and moving into a 2020 23í Flying Cloud to pull behind my Tacoma (v6 4x4) rated for 6400 lbs.

Iím aware the weight will quickly become a problem. Iím here looking to see if this is possible, let alone a good idea.
PC46F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:16 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
San Francisco , California
Sounds fun. My first thought is where will you realistically park it? I pretty much live in my 25FC, I move around a lot, own no furniture, etc. Currently parked in a driveway of a home I bought just because finding good parking/longer term camping has been a challenge where Iím currently at. Quick google search shows GVWR is 6000 on that unit, youíre legally good to go with the Tacoma at 6400 then.
Spartanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:18 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Yucaipa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC46F View Post
Hi all,

Bay Area person here considering purchasing and moving into a 2020 23í Flying Cloud to pull behind my Tacoma (v6 4x4) rated for 6400 lbs.

Iím aware the weight will quickly become a problem. Iím here looking to see if this is possible, let alone a good idea.
Howdy!

Possible but you may not enjoy towing so much. I had a lighter Sport 22FB and while the Tacoma was a champ at hauling it up hills and to decent speed when wind kicked up or trucks passed it didn't hold as good a line as I hoped. I upgraded to a Tundra and problem solved! There are better quality hitches , Hensley etc, that can minimize such sway but nothing beats more weight in the tow vehicle and more HP.

You'll hear a lot of people saying full time is not the best idea but I say go for it! You'll never know till you try! It's challenging as you'll encounter issues you didn't imagine but you'll figure it out.

Have you found Escapees yet? https://www.escapees.com/

How about Allstays? https://www.allstays.com/

A good resource for boondocking is: https://www.frugal-rv-travel.com/Fru...rs-Guides.html

I just bought a new FC 25FB and got a free year of Thousand Trails which comes in handy! See what sort of perks your dealer can offer!

Have fun! I'll be out there in June!
Walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 11:19 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Vallejo , California
Thanks for your replies. I really wanted the rear hatch but going with a 25 or 27 puts me dangerously close to if not over the weight limit.

Re: fulltiming, thanks for the resources and encouragement. Iím privileged to have a lot of options right now so we shall see how this goes.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Until we see how this virus plays out, any moves are premature IMO.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 05:00 AM   #6
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Thanks for your replies. I really wanted the rear hatch but going with a 25 or 27 puts me dangerously close to if not over the weight limit.

Re: fulltiming, thanks for the resources and encouragement. Iím privileged to have a lot of options right now so we shall see how this goes.
Make a list or pile up all of the gear that your full-timing plans have. Fun stuff, tools, trailer supplies, cooking everything that you want to have with you.

Then weigh it piece by piece or estimate its weight and volume and see how that impacts your plan. Does your truck have a cap or cover? All of that gear if exposed is, well lets just say I have a cap.

We had a full timing couple visit us and the bed of the truck an F-250 short bed was packed with their gear and highly organized.

Good luck,

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 05:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
This is a buyer's market right now. You should be able to get a great deal on an Airstream at this time. If you do go ahead, run some of the numbers by us. It would be interesting to see what these are selling for.
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 05:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:

Re: fulltiming, thanks for the resources and encouragement. I’m privileged to have a lot of options right now so we shall see how this goes.
I tow my FC20' with a 2016 Tacoma. Sounds like your Tacoma is the previous generation? The 20' is a great match for the Tacoma, just did a 13k cross country trip and it towed fine up and down the hills and mountains. I have been thinking of buying a 23' for a while, but, that trip reinforced my belief that 5000 lbs. is about as much as I would tow on a regular basis with that truck. Could you tow a 23'? Yes, but personally I would not do it long term, and a 25' I wouldn't even consider short term.

There's a lot more to it than just dry weight of the trailer or even loaded weight. The tongue weight of a 23' would probably be ok but a 25' would put you far over the max tongue weight of the Tacoma and would likely use up every pound of your cargo capacity not to mention maxing out individual axle weight limits.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 03:11 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Vallejo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Until we see how this virus plays out, any moves are premature IMO.

Good luck,

Peter

Most definitely.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:15 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Vallejo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
I tow my FC20' with a 2016 Tacoma. Sounds like your Tacoma is the previous generation? The 20' is a great match for the Tacoma, just did a 13k cross country trip and it towed fine up and down the hills and mountains. I have been thinking of buying a 23' for a while, but, that trip reinforced my belief that 5000 lbs. is about as much as I would tow on a regular basis with that truck. Could you tow a 23'? Yes, but personally I would not do it long term, and a 25' I wouldn't even consider short term.

There's a lot more to it than just dry weight of the trailer or even loaded weight. The tongue weight of a 23' would probably be ok but a 25' would put you far over the max tongue weight of the Tacoma and would likely use up every pound of your cargo capacity not to mention maxing out individual axle weight limits.

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate hearing from a Tacoma owner. Mine is a 2020 with the tow package. Iíve not tried towing anything yet. I have a cap and a drawer system so am already starting heavy.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:25 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Vallejo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Make a list or pile up all of the gear that your full-timing plans have. Fun stuff, tools, trailer supplies, cooking everything that you want to have with you.

Then weigh it piece by piece or estimate its weight and volume and see how that impacts your plan. Does your truck have a cap or cover? All of that gear if exposed is, well lets just say I have a cap.

We had a full timing couple visit us and the bed of the truck an F-250 short bed was packed with their gear and highly organized.

Good luck,

Gary

I have a cap too which has drawers and camping gear so my truck is already sitting heavy.

These few comments have really put my lust for a 25í in check. Back to reality... maybe a 23 is the best fit for me, since Iím not anxious to change out trucks.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:17 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
You need a bigger AS to full time in, ImO.....

remember, you dont have to buy a brand new truck to haul it....

Buying your AS is a much bigger investment than a truck, so I would make sure I got my AS size right first !
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote