Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2006, 10:27 PM   #1
Hub
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Thamesville , Ontario
New Member - Clinched the Deal Today!

Greetings and salutations to the members of the Airstream fraternity. Just purchased a 1976 TradeWind 25 Ft. and sealed the deal this afternoon. So now I'm thinking that this is the place to be. No place to go but up on the learning curve. Have been a long time admirer of Airstream and have been searching for years to find a clean vintage trailer. Will be starting off by having the tires, brakes and bearings checked and then the propane system before using it. Tow vehicle will be a 2003 Ford F150 with 4.6V8. Any tips for a new owner of this model??? Thanks/Merci, HUB
Hub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:47 PM   #2
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Welcome to the Machine!!

That's a nice trailer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub
Any tips for a new owner of this model???

Roll your sleeves up.
And keep it fun.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:04 AM   #3
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Welcome to the forum.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Welcome!!! Enjoy!!!

Hub -

Welcome!!! This is likely the best TT Forum out there in Cyberspace.

As you get better aquainted with your silver palace, you will have a million questions. If the trailer is a real Queen, then you'll have upgrade/ modification questions.... If it has a 'few' issues, then you'll have repair and refurb questions....

Use the Search feature in the upper right hand corner, have a comfy chair & a drink handy, and ..... read til your eye's ache!!!

You'll be done in with 'eye ache' before you likely run out of things to read about!!!

Enjoy that AS!!! And again, Welcome!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Concentrate on your running gear. If you didn't do it before you bought it, have the brakes inspected and get the bearings repacked. Inspect the tires. If they are cracked, replace.

Make sure all of your systems work. Have an RV place inspect and test the LP system. How old is the battery? If more than say five years, think about replacing. Check all of the appliances to make sure they work. Fill up the water tank and run water into the grey and black tanks, then check for leaks.

After all of this, load up with food, beverage, some camp chairs and head for the great wide open and go camping!

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Oh, and by the way, since you are so close to us here in Michigan, why don't you check out the Metro-Detroit rally on 3-6 August? We have room for you and it's only about a 2 hour drive once you cross the Bluewater, or about 1 hour drive once you cross the Ambassador. It's a great way to see a lot of different Airstreams and Argosys in one place. And you can bring Canadian beer!

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 06:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub
Greetings and salutations to the members of the Airstream fraternity. Just purchased a 1976 TradeWind 25 Ft. and sealed the deal this afternoon. So now I'm thinking that this is the place to be. No place to go but up on the learning curve. Have been a long time admirer of Airstream and have been searching for years to find a clean vintage trailer. Will be starting off by having the tires, brakes and bearings checked and then the propane system before using it. Tow vehicle will be a 2003 Ford F150 with 4.6V8. Any tips for a new owner of this model??? Thanks/Merci, HUB
Welcome Hub,

If you want to be certain that 'everything works', find a reliable RV shop that is not afraid to work on Airstreams and ask them to do a thorough PDI (pre-delivery inspection) on your new trailer. They should have a check list of all of the various functions and should go through each system to be sure that they are working properly.

After that, I would follow Ayrstrm2's recommendations to the letter: especially the one about the beer!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 06:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Welcome Hub

Hello... from a fellow Airstream owner in Ontario... Peterborough to be exact.. where did you find your Tradewind if I may ask? We used to have one also.. but have Argosys now.. Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:31 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
welcome, welcome, welcome!

just getting my recent purchase up to speed as well.

crowbar
crowbar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:52 PM   #10
Hub
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Thamesville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
Concentrate on your running gear. If you didn't do it before you bought it, have the brakes inspected and get the bearings repacked. Inspect the tires. If they are cracked, replace.

Make sure all of your systems work. Have an RV place inspect and test the LP system. How old is the battery? If more than say five years, think about replacing. Check all of the appliances to make sure they work. Fill up the water tank and run water into the grey and black tanks, then check for leaks.

After all of this, load up with food, beverage, some camp chairs and head for the great wide open and go camping!
Thanks AYRSTRM2 for the good advice and the kind invitation. Job one on Monday will be to get the trailer in to our mechanic to have the tires, brakes and bearings checked out. After we are cleared for the highway we'll take the trailer to CanAm in Lambeth, Ontario to have the gas system and gas appliances checked out by an Airstream technician.
We probably won't venture too far over the busy summer months. Just a few short local runs to get the feel of the rig. Our only previous RV was a Starcraft tent trailer. After Labour Day we'll venture farther afield once the crowds are gone from the parks. HUB
Old 06-10-2006, 01:06 PM   #11
Hub
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Thamesville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Hub -

Welcome!!! This is likely the best TT Forum out there in Cyberspace.

As you get better aquainted with your silver palace, you will have a million questions. If the trailer is a real Queen, then you'll have upgrade/ modification questions.... If it has a 'few' issues, then you'll have repair and refurb questions....

Use the Search feature in the upper right hand corner, have a comfy chair & a drink handy, and ..... read til your eye's ache!!!

You'll be done in with 'eye ache' before you likely run out of things to read about!!!

Enjoy that AS!!! And again, Welcome!

Axel
Thanks Axel,
I think we got lucky with this find and all we'll be doing is upgrade and mods. The previous (2nd) owner kept this trailer in good shape.
Not sure how I managed to put my first post up in duplicate - twice the fun with an Airstream I guess!
Cheers,
HUB
Old 06-10-2006, 01:11 PM   #12
Hub
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Thamesville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Welcome Hub,

If you want to be certain that 'everything works', find a reliable RV shop that is not afraid to work on Airstreams and ask them to do a thorough PDI (pre-delivery inspection) on your new trailer. They should have a check list of all of the various functions and should go through each system to be sure that they are working properly.

After that, I would follow Ayrstrm2's recommendations to the letter: especially the one about the beer!

Thanks Lew. That is one sweet looking tow vehicle and trailer combo you have there!
Cheers, HUB
Old 06-10-2006, 01:21 PM   #13
Hub
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Thamesville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampers
Hello... from a fellow Airstream owner in Ontario... Peterborough to be exact.. where did you find your Tradewind if I may ask? We used to have one also.. but have Argosys now.. Annie
Hi Annie,
We found our TradeWind right close to home after years of driving miles to check out ads and looking at duds. So we were fortunate.
You live in a beautiful part of Ontario. I lived in Peterborough for four years while I was at Trent U - all that great country north of you to explore. Hope we'll get the Airstream up your way in the future.
Cheers,
HUB
Old 06-10-2006, 01:29 PM   #14
Hub
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Thamesville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowbar68
welcome, welcome, welcome!

just getting my recent purchase up to speed as well.

crowbar
Hi Crowbar,
Thanks for the welcome. How long have you had your trailer? Are you going to attempt a high polish or enjoy the "vintage patina"? When I consider that exterior I hesitate to start - not a job you can leave half done and the investment in elbow grease must be substantial.
I can see the Forums are going to be a gold mine of helpful info.
Would you believe I'm supposed to be cutting the grass right now...
Cheers,
HUB
Old 06-10-2006, 06:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Welcome from a fellow Tradewind owner in BC (originally form Belleville, Ont)! Be sure to post lotsof picturesof your new trailer!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 06:54 PM   #16
Hub
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Thamesville , Ontario
Hi Cameron, Thanks. I was through Belleville on Wednesday and Thursday. Your old home town is booming. Airstreaming in BC must be great. Cheers, HUB