Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2007, 11:24 AM   #1
Member since 1999

1995 25' Excella
San Antonio , Texas
New Member - 84 Excella

This is a great forum and I recently learned about it. We are the Kinney's, Bev and Terry. I recently retired from the Air Force after 32 years and San Antonio TX is probably our final home, we are originally from Pennsylvania. We enjoy our Texas Alamo Unit club and are looking to become more involved. Question, I am trying to edit my classified ad as I am selling my coach to go back to a pull...I can't figure out how to make any changes. Please e-mail me at Terry.Kinney@yahoo.com
Tinsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:09 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:03 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Welcome Bev and Terry!!! You are at the right place here!!!

Greets

Stefanie and Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
We're new here too. We are picking up our 84 Excella 270 in Austin THIS COMING TUESDAY [!] and will be heading your way. Do you have any insights about parking downtown with a 27' rig as we visit the Alamo and Riverwalk? I'm sure they must get their share of motorhomes.

We are retired from teaching [me] and the USPS [wife] and lifelong residents of St. Lawrence County in far-northern NY. This will be our first REAL Texas visit. We did pass through the panhandle in '77.

I am a working musician with a tremendous affinity for Western Swing ala Bob Wills [ah-ha!] You can check out my music on my website THE LIME HOLLOW BOYS.

Good luck finding your tow-behind.
John & Lorna Wolfe
N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
A FOLLOWUP ABOUT DOWNTOWN SAN ANTONIO, TX
We visited The Alamo and Riverwalk in San Antonio Wed. Nov 15
morning. We took I-35 to I-37 and got off at the Commerce St. Exit
#141-A, then Right onto the hotel lot next to Dennys. The lot is on
your immediate RIGHT as you turn off the exit 141-A ramp onto
Commerce St. Both attractions were only a short walk away and parking
[hotel gated lot] was $6.50 for half the day.
Happy Trails!
John & Lorna Wolfe
'84 Excella 270 MH
N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:04 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado
Hi Terry, congratulations on your retirement, 32 years? You know what they say after 20... Maybe you should have chosen Wingnut as your alias?

I'm also originally from PA, I've met a lot of people from there, not many going there!

I'll be puttering around with a 25' Safari, I'll see you on the road. I should be in Texas aroung February.

Good luck-Michael

WBCCI #3841
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2XBW
We're new here too. We are picking up our 84 Excella 270 in Austin THIS COMING TUESDAY [!] and will be heading your way. Do you have any insights about parking downtown with a 27' rig as we visit the Alamo and Riverwalk? I'm sure they must get their share of motorhomes.

We are retired from teaching [me] and the USPS [wife] and lifelong residents of St. Lawrence County in far-northern NY. This will be our first REAL Texas visit. We did pass through the panhandle in '77.

I am a working musician with a tremendous affinity for Western Swing ala Bob Wills [ah-ha!] You can check out my music on my website THE LIME HOLLOW BOYS.

Good luck finding your tow-behind.
John & Lorna Wolfe
You need to plan for a trip to the Panhandle last weekend of April for Bob Wills Festival at Turkey, TX.

Especially on this day, Bob Wills still reigns king of country - Life & Arts

4/28/06
Especially on this day, Bob Wills still reigns king of country
Country musician revered by small Texas town in weekend music, arts festival

By Melanie Bujnoch

In the tiny town of Turkey, Texas (population: 507), the last Saturday in April marks a holiday true Texas country fans will appreciate. Bob Wills Day is a celebration of the man that added soul and jazz to country. For those of you that are not familiar with him, Wills was a musician, but above all else, a performer.

Wills made his debut in 1931 in the "Light Crust Doughboys," a tribute to his sponsor, Burrus' Light Crust Flour. The band broke up in 1933 over disputes that, surprisingly enough, had nothing to do with the reprehensible name. Will's drinking habits caused tension from the inside while Burrus' only allowed them to do radio spots, not live performances.

From there Wills formed a new band: Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys. Wills was quite proficient at the fiddle, but his charm and magnetic stage presence really elevated him to star status among the grass-roots crowd. This also explains his six marriages and numerous children.

The band pioneered a type of music known as "Western Swing," a mix of country and pop with a blues influence similar to big band music. They were also one of the first country bands to incorporate drums. Wills' stubborn refusal to remove the drums during a show at Grand Old Opry ensured that he was never asked back. Their first big hit in 1940, "New San Antonio Rose," a lyrically poetic ballad, received renewed interest in 1969 as the Apollo 12 crew sang it while orbiting the moon.

There was no room for glittery costumes or elaborate props during his shows. Dressed simply with a cowboy hat and boots, the stage appeal came directly from Wills' unbridled charisma. This is not to say that there was no decadence behind the scenes. Wills' drinking, coupled with his excessive generosity, caused him many financial problems and strained relationships. This also forced him to tour long after it was advisable. After two heart attacks and two strokes, he passed away in 1975.

Wills was in the recording studio for the album aptly titled For the Last Time the day he suffered that massive stroke. He had spent 58 years in show business and 44 of those recording music. After Wills' death, the Texas Playboys reunited. They will perform at this year's Bob Wills Day celebration Friday night.

Bob Wills Day is a celebration of pure, unadulterated Texas country music. Plans include a craft bazar, street dancing and plenty of music. With the current gas prices you may not want to drive the eight hours to Turkey, Texas, but go ahead and raise your glass to Bob Wills. The king would most certainly approve.

What: Bob Wills Day

When: Texas Playboys concert Friday night, parade and family activities Saturday

Where: Bob Wills Center, one block west of Highway 70 (P.O. Box 67; Turkey, TX 79261)

Phone: (806) 423-1033

How much: Friday's concert $10

Saturday night dance and concert $10

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote