Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2006, 10:18 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1980 25' Excella II
Novato , California

Hello all,

I just signed in and wanted to say this looks like a great place to find info on my first airstream project. My wife and I purchased a 1980 25' Excella II that has been neglected. I am a general building contractor with extensive plumbing electrical and mechanical skills. I also have automotive skills, all of these I intend to put to use! A lot of the problems on this airstream are mostly from lack of maintenance.
I have managed to repair the water heater, refridgerator and a couple of vents. I do have a furnace with electronic ignition that blows air but will not ignite yet. I will need to purchase 2 new batteries and fill the propane tanks as this could be the cause.
Any way hello to all and I look forward to sharing my experiences and questions with you all.

Phil
Philmag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

A warm welcome to you, Phil. You've come to the right place.
Nick.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Hi, Phil,

Welcome to the Forums. We're just over the ridge in Lucas Valley. Hoping to put together a local Marin/Sonoma group for sharing interests, experiences, tips and some good cheer. Hope you can join us once we pull this together.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 12:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmag1
Hello all,

I just signed in and wanted to say this looks like a great place to find info on my first airstream project. My wife and I purchased a 1980 25' Excella II that has been neglected. I am a general building contractor with extensive plumbing electrical and mechanical skills. I also have automotive skills, all of these I intend to put to use! A lot of the problems on this airstream are mostly from lack of maintenance.
I have managed to repair the water heater, refridgerator and a couple of vents. I do have a furnace with electronic ignition that blows air but will not ignite yet. I will need to purchase 2 new batteries and fill the propane tanks as this could be the cause.
Any way hello to all and I look forward to sharing my experiences and questions with you all.

Phil
Nice, love the 25's. You have a great rig from teh sound of it
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
hello

Welcome! My husband lived over at Hamilton AFB when it was Navy housing in the mid-1990's. We had just started dating then, I have some good memories of that place. Congrats on your rig, you'll make good progress with your skills.

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome from another Bay Area 25 owner..

Phil-

Welcome and congrats on your project! You should really enjoy that one once it is repaired and roadworthy...

Three really valuable resources here...

1. Learn to "power search" by trying combinations of key words and search bar above. You'll learn to find prior threads (often with photo's and multiple contributors..) on almost every restoration topic you can imagine...

2. Make sure you have good owner's manual from Airstream.. If you don't, there are sources posted here to find one. Also valuable are separate manuals for appliances, etc which list spares and customer service numbers.

3. The ability to toss out a question, on anything, and get helpful and knowledgable replies within hours or days, if you're stuck..

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:25 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1980 25' Excella II
Novato , California
Thanks all, we took the rig out to grass valley last weekend to just see what it was like to sleep in it. It was very cold out that evening but the airstream ac heater warmed us up nicely. I have a new shower faucet to install and I intend to pull the furnace out this weekend. Once all the mechanical items work I will start the remodel work. We love it.Phil
Old 11-15-2006, 08:33 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1980 25' Excella II
Novato , California
Navy housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
Welcome! My husband lived over at Hamilton AFB when it was Navy housing in the mid-1990's. We had just started dating then, I have some good memories of that place. Congrats on your rig, you'll make good progress with your skills.
I don't know if you are still in the area, if not all those homes have been torn down and they are all upscale larger homes there now. You would never recognize the area!

Phil
Old 11-15-2006, 09:18 PM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome and good luck with you project. It sounds like you have the skills to her her back on the road in style.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Welcome Phil, from another Californian! There is so much info here, including some recent posts on heater problems such as you described. Do a search, there were some informed replies as I recall. It sounds like you're getting right out and enjoying the trailer - good for you!
Good luck with the project.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote