Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2022, 01:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

APO , AE

Hi all, new member, looking to start getting more and more acquainted with Airstreams. I have always fancied them since moving to America a couple decades back. Now I am finally getting to the financial stable area to where I can afford one. Right now I am stationed in Germany, but once I make it back to the good ole USA, I will look to get one.

Family of 4 so far, I am thinking of starting out with a Bambi for weekend to weeklong trips. Maybe after retirement I can upsize, but right now I am only focused on the 20-23 foot range.
bgalakazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 03:24 PM   #2
Heb
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Happy Valley , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalakazam View Post
Hi all, new member, looking to start getting more and more acquainted with Airstreams. I have always fancied them since moving to America a couple decades back. Now I am finally getting to the financial stable area to where I can afford one. Right now I am stationed in Germany, but once I make it back to the good ole USA, I will look to get one.

Family of 4 so far, I am thinking of starting out with a Bambi for weekend to weeklong trips. Maybe after retirement I can upsize, but right now I am only focused on the 20-23 foot range.

Family of three here, two adults, one large three year old, and we usually camp with a fur baby. I’m the 3-9 day trip range in our 23FB. I would not go any smaller than a 25 in your case. 20, 22, and 23 fit 3 people. Unless you find a 23 with the corner bed and bunk, then 4.

We comfortably camp in the 23FB, and love it! We are outside people, on rainy days we find something to go do still. We just go in to sleep, bathroom, change. If we were just talking about redoing our kit if we decided to try for another kid someday and the 25 was were we would go.

When we camp with family or friends we always end up in their larger SOB for games cause ours is always made down into beds. In the event of a 4th we might add a rooftop tent to the tow vehicle instead up upsizing… all good for thought!
Old 05-28-2022, 06:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome from Colorado: Many folks select the shorter trailers for easy of towing and handling, and cost of course. Some after they are well indocrinated in Airstream traveling tend to upsize for more storage space and more room.

Study the model line up, visit a dealer who might have one for you to look at, and then "play house" for an hour and see how you might fit at the eating table, where your clothes might go, how comfortable are the beds, will the fridge hold what you need, etc.

We've had an Airstream since 2005 and really enjoy traveling with it. I also enjoy working on the thing and making improvements that suit me. Airstream trailers are a good hobby.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 08:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Welcome! I hope things work out for you to live the dream.
As you can guess from my signature line, sometimes that LITTLE extra space can make all the difference. I would try for something where everyone can sit comfortably when the weather is bad, which you will experience regularly.
Our upgrade, which cost us more than buying our second trailer first would have, was partly due to the basic nature of the Bambi. No rear bumper storage, poorly executed battery storage, and NOISY unducted air conditioning.
You pay for quality once. You pay for the compromises as long as you own the trailer.
Happy camping!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 05:50 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

APO , AE

I have been flip flopping between bambi and caravel a lot, compare, research. Going new, the cost of a caravel can be more than a lightly used flying cloud. Used bambi and caravels are not as lower on the price (kind of the same when I got my truck, made no sense to buy used and save some peanuts). Maybe by the time I start buying, the flying cloud will get a substantial refresh as well. My understanding is caravel got one recently. I also don’t want to go too big initially due to storage/parking, towing and maneuverability, and being sized out of smaller camp areas.
bgalakazam is offline   Reply With Quote