Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2021, 11:12 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , TX

Hi everyone!

Greg here; my wife Nancy and I are getting close to retiring and that means close to becoming Airstreamers. We're in Dallas, with family in Kansas City (Go Chiefs!). We've been lurking for quite a bit and learning a lot from the forums. Figured it was time to get in and start participating more.

Looking forward to learning more and enjoying the forums even more in the future.

Thanks!
Baron 8TB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Hey Greg!
Let's get the party started, what tow vehicle do you have??
Old 03-19-2021, 11:33 AM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Welcome welcome! Fun times ahead with retirement no doubt! Lots of amazing resources and people here who love to help, share experience and collaborate on adventures!
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Welcome to the group!

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:38 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Wallkill , New York
Welcome! Lots to learn but this forum is wonderful and everyone is very helpful.
dcohen461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 12:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Hello Greg and Nancy, greetings from central Kentucky and welcome to the forum. Using my crystal ball, I see a shiny travel trailer in your future. Good luck in your search and here's hoping you have many miles of fun and adventure with minimal repairs. May you enjoy every moment of retirement.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 01:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Welcome to the neighborhood Greg. Do y’all have in mind what size and model? You’re located in a good place to venture out in all directions to find great campgrounds. Good luck and hope you find that perfect Airstream you’re looking for.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 02:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome! Does User name refer to Beech model 55 or 58? You'll find a lot of pilots here, who just cant resist riveted aluminum in all forms... You'll get lots of free advice here, worth every penny! The Tow Vehicle arguments are everywhere, so I can't add much.. Having bought our first Airstream from a couple in Ft. Worth (sight unseen), I will offer a suggestion for buying in these challenging times..

New ones are backlogged and (as you may have noticed..) factory quality problems and dealer servicing issues abound, in part due to huge backlog of orders at the factory and of repair and service in dealer shops. If you are pretty sure what you want, the used Airstream market is national, and it might be worth the time and effort to save $25K+ to find gently used Airstream that has bugs worked out. Versions from 2016 have ducted A/C, which is not actually so great in Texas, so a 2013-2015 trailer could be a great deal.. Changing flooring or upholstery or blinds is pretty easy if you've only invested $50 or 60K instead of $90K or more... Good luck!

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:07 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , TX
Thanks! Here we go.... the TV is a 2017 F150 Platinum 4X4 with 3.6 Ecoboost and Max Tow package.
And, yes, we have a spreadsheet with all the specs, limits, and CAT Scale read-outs!

Fun stuff

Greg
Old 03-20-2021, 03:10 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , TX
Thanks again. The 8TB refers to our last airplane (not flying now), which was a P58, N58TB. A real traveling machine/magic carpet.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:47 AM   #11
Trilla the Traveling Tube

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Welcome to the forum family!
kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:37 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Greg-
Always envious of P58 Baron's.. Fly a 4 cyl Comanche as budget not large enough to support super airplane, trailer, truck and other toys...

Now that truck is in the driveway, here is a much more specific recommendation, again worth the cost of acquisition.. In nearly 20 years of Airstreaming, I've run into lots of couples with lots of trailers, and the ones consistently happiest with their trailers and ability to go more places, see more and do more were owners of the 27FB models.. As Texans, much of your travel may end up being in warm weather and higher humidity, where A/C is kind of important.. If it were me, I'd be looking hard for a 2014-2015 27FB Flying Cloud or International with dual A/C units.. Yeas, that could require 50 Amp power to fire up both A/C's, but you'd have the option in cooler climates of powering up just one on 30A circuit with adapter plug.. The reason for pre-2016 is that newer units feature ducted A/C which runs cool air in shallow ducts under hot roof, and they take a while to cool down after a day of hot weather driving... (Our 2016 with single A/C needs more than an hour to get below 75 degrees...) By going back a few years, 99% of warranty and quality issues will have been resolved, and the trailer should be highly reliable.. Dual A/C units are going to be hard to find, and remember market is national, not local... Here is example of candidate: https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...7FB-5015584374

John

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:55 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
Welcome and enjoy.
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 04:06 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
Welcome to the neighborhood Greg. Do y’all have in mind what size and model? You’re located in a good place to venture out in all directions to find great campgrounds. Good luck and hope you find that perfect Airstream you’re looking for.
Bubba,

Thanks for the message and apologies for taking so long to get back to you. We are looking at either 27 or 28-foot models; we would prefer to buy one only once, and not upgrade through several different trailers. We are still a couple of years out, but we're doing a lot of homework and learning a lot here.

Thanks!

Greg
Old 03-30-2021, 04:09 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum View Post
Greg-
Always envious of P58 Baron's.. Fly a 4 cyl Comanche as budget not large enough to support super airplane, trailer, truck and other toys...

Now that truck is in the driveway, here is a much more specific recommendation, again worth the cost of acquisition.. In nearly 20 years of Airstreaming, I've run into lots of couples with lots of trailers, and the ones consistently happiest with their trailers and ability to go more places, see more and do more were owners of the 27FB models.. As Texans, much of your travel may end up being in warm weather and higher humidity, where A/C is kind of important.. If it were me, I'd be looking hard for a 2014-2015 27FB Flying Cloud or International with dual A/C units.. Yeas, that could require 50 Amp power to fire up both A/C's, but you'd have the option in cooler climates of powering up just one on 30A circuit with adapter plug.. The reason for pre-2016 is that newer units feature ducted A/C which runs cool air in shallow ducts under hot roof, and they take a while to cool down after a day of hot weather driving... (Our 2016 with single A/C needs more than an hour to get below 75 degrees...) By going back a few years, 99% of warranty and quality issues will have been resolved, and the trailer should be highly reliable.. Dual A/C units are going to be hard to find, and remember market is national, not local... Here is example of candidate: https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...7FB-5015584374

John
John,

Before the P Baron we had a Twin Comanche; really enjoyed that airplane. But after a couple summers slugging along in the bumps we all wanted higher and more comfortable; we sold the Twinkie and closed on the Baron in the same week.

Thanks for the input on the ducted air; I just learned something there. Good advice.

Greg