Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2006, 12:02 PM   #1
DTR
Adventures with GypsyRose

1988 32' Excella
Plano , Texas
Question new looker- do I want 19' or 25'?

We cannot decide if we need a 19' or a 25' trailer. My logic says the 19 would be easy to tow and park. Less impact on gas mileage. We have pulled a horse trailer. i would think this would be comparable. Probably easier -since you wouldn't have a couple thousand pounds moving around while going down the road!

On the other hand a 25 would be something we could eventualy live in? Five years from now. Would it be a lot more difficult to tow and park?

We have never had a travel trailer so this first step is a little scary. Would we lose a lot if we bought a 19' now and then moved up to a 25' in 5 years?

Thank you,
Confused DTR.
DTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:27 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi dtr and welcome...

my first tow was a 34. many start with a 16 and trade several times before finally getting the ideal size...this does cost lots of moola...

longer tows easier...but ya gotta have enough truck.

25 is too small to live in full time, but great for almost all sorts of travel.

25 has 2 axles...this is good. 19 has 1 axle...this isn't so good.

basic fuel milage doesn't change much in this size range....

basic living space changes ALOT in this size range...

if you aren't sure...buy used first time, depreciation is already paid

trading selling a used unit is a better deal that new every time.

sure you'd lose some trading 19 for 25...the living space is a big loss.

visit lots, see lots, go in lots....buy a 23 or 25....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:53 PM   #3
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi DTR--You can tow up to a 27' A/S with a properly equipped 1/2 ton truck, or SUV. Fuel mileage is more a function of frontal wind resistance, rather than weight or length. If you tow a horse trailer, you will have no difficulty towing an A/S. A double axle is more stable to tow than a single, and you always want more room than you have, no matter what the length. I find a double axle trailer easier to back up, than a single axle. Seriously consider longer than 19'. It will cost you to move up to a larger A/S in 5-years. Also you will put a lot of yourself into your A/S, so why not get the right one first.
We have traveled extensively over 18-years in our 27' Overlander (2 of us mainly, with 2 more children or grandchildren from time to time), and find it large enough to live in (up to 7-months), and small enough to tow easily. Get that A/S and get going.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:06 PM   #4
DTR
Adventures with GypsyRose

1988 32' Excella
Plano , Texas
Thank you all so much. I am surprised at the longer trailer being easier to tow and back. It does make sense that the double axle is more stable. I hadn't thought of that at all.
It will just be the two of us travelling...

Thanks again...DTR
DTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
I agree with 2air completely started with a 16' then a 25' now a 30' ,
only 4 more ft to go----------pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTR
We cannot decide if we need a 19' or a 25' trailer. My logic says the 19 would be easy to tow and park. Less impact on gas mileage. We have pulled a horse trailer. i would think this would be comparable. Probably easier -since you wouldn't have a couple thousand pounds moving around while going down the road!

On the other hand a 25 would be something we could eventualy live in? Five years from now. Would it be a lot more difficult to tow and park?
Confused DTR.
I don't know what you need, but I think a 25' is a good compromise between handling and living comfort.

Hunter Hampton
List Owner of the Yahoo Group "AirstreamList"
has lived in a 25' Airstream for years.
mailto:hhamp5246@aol.com
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
We are also new to the RV lifestyle and find the 25' to be easy to tow, easy to back into smaller camp sites such as state parks, etc and has way more storage than 2 people need (at least for long weekend type camping).
There is enough room inside to move around without stepping on each other. We, hopefully, will only buy one which is why we were willing to buy new.

Greg
Roadtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:07 PM   #8
HHP
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Yucca Valley , California
Quote:
buy a 23 or 25....

That's why we went 23'!!! Just right
HHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:10 PM   #9
HHP
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Yucca Valley , California
Quote:
It does make sense that the double axle is more stable...

x2

Notwithstanding, if you blow a tire on a double axle, you can at least limp off the freeway......
HHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:19 PM   #10
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
I agree with 2air completely started with a 16' then a 25' now a 30' , only 4 more ft to go----------pieman
well pieman...
the last 4 feet,
are overrated really

but having 3 axles
and all of those shinny wheels....
really does look cool
until the toll booth or ferry

or that ridiculous bypass around denver...
10 bucks every 10miles...
so 30 bucks to go roughly 30 miles...which was only 1/4 way around....
never again.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
imagine yourself

Welcome,

There are a lot of good tips so far, I especially agree with FrankS, try to get it right the first time. We took our time and so far it has proven out to have been worth the wait. One thing that worked for us...try to imagine yourself in each model/floorplan that you are considering. Take a dry run of what you believe would be a typical day hitching, pulling, parking, loading, cooking, sleeping, bathing, resting, eating, entertaining and anything else that comes to mind. This exercise will help you determine what the floorplan and model is best for your lifestyle.

In general, two axle 23 -25 foot Airstreams are good compromises between ease of towing and space utilization, especially if it is for two people. Although there a some campgrounds, especially federal, that have tight length restriction, the vast majority can accomodate up to 25 feet. Fuel economy has proven to be similar no matter what size AS you pick, with little difference between the extremes, assuming the tow vehicle has the tow capacity.

Be patient but dont wait too long to start having fun.

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
For what it's worth (free, so probably of only marginal value), we wanted the bath and bedroom areas to be separated. That desire becomes possible at 25 feet.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:02 PM   #13
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Advice

My advice, and I've read all the above...... and some good advice there. I'm single, and don't plan to expand my numbers, except maybe now and then. My first Airstream purchase and current trailer is a 76 31ft Sovereign. I considered everything! I am a NUT about detail..... towing, convenience and investment!! And when I mixed in the price factor, I am convinced that I made the right choice! Bill
lebolewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:31 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
A 19 or a 25

You can always get a 19 and a 25
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello DTR -- Welcome to the Forums! My mother also is a DTR through her father, Robert Rankin Thompson -- the source of my first name. It is on my short list to join the Sons.

You are getting very good advice. If you are buying anything recent I would suggest getting to a dealer to actually lay down in the corner bed of the 19 -- bring your partner if there'll be two. This bed will make or break the deal for some people. It significantly cuts off foot space for one partner. The 23' and the 25' SS also have the corner bed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung
For what it's worth (free, so probably of only marginal value), we wanted the bath and bedroom areas to be separated. That desire becomes possible at 25 feet.
Space brings more amenities and Mike brings up a nice comfort issue -- sleeping physically separate from the toilet. Our 25' FB SE is a twin bed and has the most storage I've seen in any trailer this size (3 external access storage compartments). I'm having my doubts about the twin beds but thinking happily of rebuilding the front with a queen and keeping the storage compartment excess. The 25' suits me very fine because of my objectives -- easy, distant travels with necessary gear for a variety of recreation and fitting into the greatest assortment of state park, national forest, and away-from-it-all campgrounds. Longer than 25' does make the latter goal more of a challenge -- see this thread.

One Forums member has moved through three Airstreams -- I believe they started with an '04 Classic (28'?), then "almost" had possession of an '06 25' FB SE before they heard Airstream was coming out with a 27' FB Classic. They had to take this voyage but are now supremely happy.

New Airstreams are heavier than those 20-30 years ago. You almost can't do a newer 25' without having a 3/4-ton capacity tow vehicle. This puts a contrary wrinkle in the practicality issues for some. Be sure you ask, then buy a suitable tow vehicle! Use 'Search', follow various threads and arguments -- but feel free to seek answers you aren't finding by starting a thread as you have here.

Follow the Rally Calendar -- a Texas group often gets together down at Blanco. The adventure phase is truly more amazing than the 'wish book' phase. Come again!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
The bed in the 19ft. is tiny. Go to the dealer and check the 19ft and 25 fb w/ queen bed. Ya gtta sleep and be comfortable or you won't be happy.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
How about a baker's dozen?

Welcome to the forums,

Wouldn't it be cool to have a baker's dozen Airstreams?

There is a nice thread entitled Considerations when buying an Airstream... take a look at it. Lots of stuff to think about and digest besides just the size. Might give you other things to help you make your decision!

Have fun, look at lots of Airstreams, when you are ready to buy, go for it! Airstreams Rock!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:43 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Welcome to the Forums and 'streaming.

We have a 25' and it seems to be the ideal size for the two of us. (+ 2 extra on the fold down sofa need be) Not too big, not too small, easy to tow, a good amount of living and storage space. Personally, I could not live in it for an extended period of time and certainly not full time but, there people who can and do full time in 25'. Our initial reason for purchase was to get away for a couple of mos. or so from the winter blahs. Unfortunatly that hasn't happened as yet for various reasons and it's hard to get away in the summer living on a lake ..... so we haven't used it all that much so far.

Our original tow vehicle was a 1/2 ton '97 GMC Sub. for the first 3 of 4 yrs and recently found a nice '04 3/4 ton GMC Yukon. The difference in towing is huge. (In all fairness: the old sub could have used new shocks and the A/S just got new tires in June and needs shocks) It is very important not to be underpowered. We almost made a mistake buying a too large A/S for the 1/2 ton but the good members of the forums saved us in the nick of time.
You will find plenty of info and answers in the forums. Do your homework and be patient waiting for the right one.

Good luck in your search,
suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:29 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
weighing in for the little guy...

We absolutely love our 19' Bambi. It's a perfect space for my wife, myself, our pooch, and our upcoming kid.

We purchased the 19' for several factors:
- price (while still expensive, not as much as the larger ones)
- first time towers - the smaller trailer was less daunting for us.
- tow vehicle capacity - I like my SUV and didn't want to get rid of it just to tow a bigger trailer.

The most important point for us was that we absolutely don't consider this trailer to be our last one. We knew we would want to go bigger at some point down the road. Buyng the 19' foot was an easy choice based on all those factors. It's a bonus that we find the space absolutely perfect for our lifestyle.

That said, I wouldn't want to full-time in a 19' bambi. That would be uncomfortable and there's nowhere near the storage space you'd need. I have to admit though, the thougth of full-timing in a 25' doesn't really intrigue me either.

just my 0.02,
brad.

We raised over 1.3 Million dollars for Cancer Reseach this year. Great job team!!
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:44 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Another 19' Fan

I agre with Bradk!

I've been 'full-timing' in my 19CCD since mid June and it has been great. Will be doing this for another month or so. Plenty of room for myself and the wifey. It has all of the storage that I need the bed is not large, but it does work for us.

The other limiting factor was TV size, and this is as big as I could go without dumping the Sprinter (not likely) and going for a Sub or P/U (not my style either).

All of this after really full-timing for 5 years in a 40' Monaco Dynasty diesel pusher. That was nice....if you like driving your house around with you where ever you go!! I'll be Airstreaming for quite a while!!!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote