Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2020, 03:48 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Halifax , Nova Scotia
New here with a question: can I fit 4 kids

Hi! Glad to be here. I have been reading on and off for years. I have always been a fan of classic airstreams and camping.

A little bit about us and how I got here:
I have always loved cars, bikes, anything with engines. I love fixing them, riding them, driving them... I have always loved the trailers and motorhomes, the idea to fix these smaller habitats within the shell...

We started with a Boler 13ft trailer (10ft inside really) and loved that little trailer for years, we camped in it with 1, 2, then 3 kids... then sold it.

We now have 4 kids, they are 11 and under and love the adventure. We are a tight family and I am looking at a 1988 345 motorhome.

The question: am I crazy? Can this work? Surely we can get something much bigger and newer for the same price but I don't want sliders and all and I don't want to have a depreciating asset. I would much rather have a solid base on which I can build and improve as time goes on.

What is the consensus here?

Thanks!!

David
Roby466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Welcome to the AirForums!
Whatever makes you and your spouse happy!
My advice - You need to know what you are getting into. Get someone who is knowledgeable about Airstream motorhomes of that type to take a look before you purchase. If something is wrong, some parts are next to impossible to find. Though, some are standard chassis parts are off the shelf.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:39 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Halifax , Nova Scotia
Thanks for that. I will educate myself more but I think I'm almost set on the motorhome... my tow vehicle can't handle too much: towing capacity is 7000lbs but it has a fairly short wheelbase so it would likely be scary to two something very long (2004 Discovery 2) and options are limited with 4 kids if I don't want to drive a Suburban sized truck every day...
Roby466 is offline   Reply With Quote