Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
Fort Worth , Texas
New Guy with history question

Hi all, I am a first time Airstream owner. I have had another trailer and an Allegro RV in the past. I have always wanted an Airstream and started looking a couple of months ago. Found and purchased what I think is a pretty rare model. The story I have been able to piece together is that in 1980 Airstream produced 150 Caravelle models. The spelling of the name also changed to double Le. It seems they came in 20' 22' and 24' models. Mine is a 24' and only 7' wide with rear bath. The other thing that appears to be rare is the red and orange stripes and logos. Ok, that's all I know, or think I know. Does anybody have any information about this model? I'll thank y'all now for your help and save the where to get stabilizing jacks and stripes/lettering along with my first adventure from Fort Worth to Durango for other threads.

Pancho10
Just trying to keep the shiny side up. :-)
Old 06-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I think the stabilizers are going to be the same BAL stabilizers that other Airstream and Argosy trailers use, though the more compact the trailer is, the more challenging it is to find a place to attach the stabilizers that isn't in the way of something else. I bought a set from Out of Doors Mart to add to my Argosy and have LOVED them. I'm not built for crawling around on the ground under the trailer to place portable stabilizer jacks, never mind the bugs/dirt/mud/etc one finds there!

Welcome to the Forums, by the way... we've traded email shortly after you bought the Caravelle, about a fridge I was freecycling.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello and welcome. You indeed purchased an unusual Airstream. They are quite rare.

You can learn more about them in the Knowledge Base section of the Airstream Forums. It is located clear toward the bottom of all the topics. Click on Caravelle and enjoy.

1980 24' Caravelle

Dang, my link attempt didn't work. But I think you can find it okay.

Post a picture of your new, old Airstream. I'd love to see it.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Here's the link.

1980 Caravelle - Airstream Forums

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
You will find that there is not much info out on these trailers. You can order a service manual for it but not an owners manual. There is room for two crank down stabilizers in the front but not in the rear. I use the portable alum ones for the rear.
thehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:28 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
Prince George , British Columbia
We have a 1980 24' carvelle also. I think it has 4 stabilizing jacks. The rear ones are mounted in such a way that you crank them from the rear of the airstream. My wife just made me photocopy our owners manual and she sent it to someone... I should have scanned it. Maybe whoever we sent it to can scan it and make a PDF :-)

I don't play with the airstream much anymore since we got our Silver Streak...
Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:51 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
Fort Worth , Texas
To be more clear, there are 4 stabilizing jacks, or I should say were 4 stabilizing jacks until I scraped off the front two going over some railroad tracks. I'm looking for replacement sources or even some unobtrusive upgrades. Also thanks but I did get the original owners manual. Pictures forthcoming as well. Working from the outside in.