Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #1

Vail , Arizona
New guy in town,

Hi all,
Due to a divorce I am going to buy my 1st TT in the next 2 or 3 months, (and probably live long term in it). I've been asking RV'rs their opinions about the type of RV to look into.
I figure I'll move once or twice a year, It needs to be DURABLE. I'm looking for a used TT and am trying to keep costs around $15K or less. Since it'll just be me I'm guessing a 25ft'er would be ok. It will be towed with my
F-250.
I've heard a good used re-built Airstream would be very hard to beat for durability.
Some say room is very important for long term use and slides should be in the equation.
My may concern is durability, with a 2nd consideration of space. (it would be nice)
How well do the slides hold up anyhow? Are they pretty much a constant source of expensive maintainence?
I am concerned about insulation as well, do the pre-1995 Airstreams have decent insulation when compared to the typical used TT. ( Jayco, Arctic Fox etc.)?
Sorry so long all, but I have many questions and a short time to get answers. Any info would be appreciated. (meanwhile I keep reading thru this excellent site)

I posted this on another RV site and was directed here. My assumption was that the other site may be a little too formal for my line of questioning. Hope ya'll can assist!
sgtredleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Hi and welcome to the forum. Be sure to check out the classifieds for a collection of used rigs.

Slides add a lot of weight to a trailer and while they also add space, they increase cost, possibility of leaks etc. As to size - 25 feet is prolly the shortest trailer you should consider for fulltiming although some have done it in less. Good luck with the hunt

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:37 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Airstreams do hold up better than most other travel trailers. Slide-outs might be nice, but are something else to have problems with.

We spend almost half our time in our 25 foot Airstream, and are very comfortable.

Don't be hesitant to ask questions. We are always ready to share information and opinions.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1993 36' Land Yacht
jackson , Tennessee
buy a very good mid 90s motorhome like a land yacht. that way, you will always have a nice place to live. always stay in koa's...in addition to the luxury, you might find a new wife. just make sure her unit is nicer than yours. fresh oil, new tires and a set of vice grips shud be all you need.
bukib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
New guy. Welcome to the Air Forums site.

My uncle traveled all over the country in a small Airstream. He is a great one for coming up with unique lines: He told me "they are all too big when you are towing them, and they are all too small when you are living in them."

Since you have an F250 this gives you a lot of flexibility. I would lean toward a 31' or 34' due to the living and storage room they provide.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The Good news is:

You're in Arizona where damp weather and leak issues aren't a huge problem, you've got an F-250 which will pull about any Airstream ever made, and you're in Arizona where old snowbird RV'ers retire and eventually go on to that big old RV park in the sky.

So you are in the happy hunting ground.

The bad news - really vintage RV's - Airstreams included have issues - expensive issues like needing new axles, new refrigerators and air conditioners. Therefore look for one 10 years old or less. You may have to pay a bit over your budget, but the less you spend on the front end, the more you'll spend on repairs. If you have to live in it now, it has to be liveable.

I want to do some cosmetic renovations to mine. Money isn't my issue, but being HBC (homeless by choice) where am I going to stay and shower and live for a month or two while the reno happens? THERE is the rub about buying and living in a unit under repair. Of course in AZ, you can buy a screenroom as an exterior living space. Here it's 25 degrees right now.

Get on Craigslist... let the games begin!

Paula
Old 01-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The older Airstreams that are longer than 24' may have what is known as "rear seperation" issues. I'm not sure how new you would have to go to get away from this problem.
Not to steer you away from Airstream. I was surfing thru the ebay listings and saw a number of "Silver Stream" units that are in the 30' range. They are listed along with Airstreams on many occassions.

Here is a link to show you what they look like. The pink is a little much . http://www.rv2buy.com/vehicle/displayAd.asp?id=44875
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
just a thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
The bad news - really vintage RV's - Airstreams included have issues - expensive issues like needing new axles, new refrigerators and air conditioners. Therefore look for one 10 years old or less.
Not sure that sticking with a 2000+ model AS 25' or longer would fit anywhere near his budget.

In fact, I'll say it again: if the OP only wants to move once or twice a year, why buy an AS at all?

More room, both width and height, in other words MORE COMFORT is available in a SOB at a fraction of the cost of a comparably-aged AS...

If I didn't want to travel in Henri our AS, I wouldn't have bought him, I would have had a nice square big-*ssed box. With just normal maintenance, it will last a loooong time. They only rot because leaks go unheeded.

An Airstream is only a "better" trailer if you actually travel in it, IMHO.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Not sure that sticking with a 2000+ model AS 25' or longer would fit anywhere near his budget.

In fact, I'll say it again: if the OP only wants to move once or twice a year, why buy an AS at all?

More room, both width and height, in other words MORE COMFORT is available in a SOB at a fraction of the cost of a comparably-aged AS...

If I didn't want to travel in Henri our AS, I wouldn't have bought him, I would have had a nice square big-*ssed box. With just normal maintenance, it will last a loooong time. They only rot because leaks go unheeded.

An Airstream is only a "better" trailer if you actually travel in it, IMHO.
But you still have to look at it. If I had a SOB in my yard, I would have to plant a tall hedge around it. Also, I never use a mirror.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska

Here is another one. But it's near Tampa, Florida. Less than $4000.
Go to www.tincantourists.com Click on "Classifieds"
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Springfield , Missouri
Welcome to the board! Sounds like the circumstances aren't exactly what you were hoping for, but you are making the best of it all, so Good on You!

Best of luck in the hunt...you have amazing resources here on the forum, take full advangtage of us all, we kinda like it!

Again, welcome!
MO Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Springfield , Missouri
A sub-note, I found this posting that relates to what you are looking for/at:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314/airstream-living-fulltime-19219-3.html#post937429
MO Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote