Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2009, 06:25 AM   #1

1970 27' Overlander
Dublin , Georgia
New Guy here with "70?? Sovereign Needs help-=lots of it

Hello I am new here but not new to fixing up old things- primarily house and about 20 old cars- got a lot of 40 and 50 Plymouth's I have got up to fair to good cond Might be selling some - have 20- pretty much at cost plus my labor (I have averaged that out- come to 58 cents an hour - probably about what you folks get for yours when sell time comes!!)

But to the business at hand- my new old Airstream I believe it is a 1970Sovereign Id #131 T0J 517. It is in fair to good condition- floors - small 8x10 soft spot. 2 windows replaced by plex'glss- fir to poor job etc.

Anyway I digress- have read several posts in the various areas and got a lot of very helpful info- thanks in advance.
However I have run across a few kinks that leave me baffled- now it really doesn't take much to do that - after practicing law for 37 years that would make anyone a little confused and especially if your a friend of Bill W. which I am since 1994.
1- refrigerator- does not run-dometic- model ?? Tried hitting the coils with 2x4 as suggested- not responding- Hit them Harder? Trailer it level front to back but not side to side - Will this affect it?

2 The door to the refrigerator will not close- it actually seems like the inner plastic on the door will not fit into the refig. Took off hinges and tried to force it in- no luck it just is to big- do they get warped or distorted and if so can I get a new one and gasket? Where?

3 the prior owner has painted a spot or the living room with maybe kilz? Painted some time ago- 6 mos it is still tacky. Any suggestions on how to get that off and what is now the best primer to use- ? still Sherwin Williams?

4 Is it possible to get new or used good shape windows? If not has anyone actually put Plexiglas into the old frame? Can it be done?

I am sure I will have other questions as this is my first journey into the world of trailers-
All help greatly appreciated
Lou
Lou Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Earle View Post
Hello I am new here but not new to fixing up old things- primarily house and about 20 old cars- got a lot of 40 and 50 Plymouth's I have got up to fair to good cond Might be selling some - have 20- pretty much at cost plus my labor (I have averaged that out- come to 58 cents an hour - probably about what you folks get for yours when sell time comes!!)

But to the business at hand- my new old Airstream I believe it is a 1970Sovereign Id #131 T0J 517. It is in fair to good condition- floors - small 8x10 soft spot. 2 windows replaced by plex'glss- fir to poor job etc.

Anyway I digress- have read several posts in the various areas and got a lot of very helpful info- thanks in advance.
However I have run across a few kinks that leave me baffled- now it really doesn't take much to do that - after practicing law for 37 years that would make anyone a little confused and especially if your a friend of Bill W. which I am since 1994.
1- refrigerator- does not run-dometic- model ?? Tried hitting the coils with 2x4 as suggested- not responding- Hit them Harder? Trailer it level front to back but not side to side - Will this affect it?

2 The door to the refrigerator will not close- it actually seems like the inner plastic on the door will not fit into the refig. Took off hinges and tried to force it in- no luck it just is to big- do they get warped or distorted and if so can I get a new one and gasket? Where?

3 the prior owner has painted a spot or the living room with maybe kilz? Painted some time ago- 6 mos it is still tacky. Any suggestions on how to get that off and what is now the best primer to use- ? still Sherwin Williams?

4 Is it possible to get new or used good shape windows? If not has anyone actually put Plexiglas into the old frame? Can it be done?

I am sure I will have other questions as this is my first journey into the world of trailers-
All help greatly appreciated
Lou
Does the fridge not work on electic? Check you have power to the heating element. If it works on electric the guts are good. Leave it plugged in a good 8 hours to tell.

Yes you can get new/used windows. New very expensive try Inland RV. Used try ebay and Colaw's. Early 70s windows from 70-74 are interchangeable. 75s fit but have different openers.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:01 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New Guy here with "70?? Sovereign Needs help-=lots of it

Greetings Lou!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
I believe that you are correct in regard to the year, but the first character in your VIN is most likely and "I" to indicate International trim level.

Quote:
The older Dometics can be temperamental, and are moore cooperative when level in bot directions -- they are much more sensitive to level than the newer model Dometics. The usual recommendation is to "Burb" the refrigerator if it still doesn't want to operate -- this involves removing the refrigerator from the coach and following a sequence of steps to get the amonia refrigerant moving again. Try using a forums search on "burping".

Quote:
Typically, my understanding is that when the conditions exist that you describe, the plastic liner has either cracked or become separated from the frame allowing the insulation to absorb moisture -- if this moisture freezes and expands the plastic liner is permanently distorted. I haven't seen any repair methods discussed. It is possible to locate a used replacement door via salvage yards or possible another member of the forums who is replacing a similar refrigerator. The door gaskets are still available through authorized Dometic dealers according to my understanding.

Quote:
What you are finding may be a function of something other than the paint. The vinyl-clad aluminum has a reputation of becoming sticky over time. This is thought to be a combination of long-term exposure to heat, cooking byproducts, tobacco smoke, and the adhesives utilzed to attach the vinyl to the aluminum. Try a forums search on "Vinyl-Clad" for some reading on the various solutions -- once cleaned, the usual recommendation is to seal with Future Acrylic Floor Wax.

Quote:
Replacement windows are generally available through Airstream via either dealers or Airstream Certified Repair Centers. As mentioned by an earlier poster, these windows can also be obtained from salvage yards with Colaw's in Western Missouri being one of the better known sources. You will also find that they are offered from time to time on e-Bay as well as in the Forums classifieds.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote